Where To Buy Satin Ice & Fondx

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 19 Jan 2007 , 7:00pm by navywifetrat

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 12

I have never tried either of these fondants & would like to know some names of stores that they're sold in. (Hopefully one near me.)

Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 12

I have to purchase mine online. I've bought SatinIce and Pettinice from sugarcraft.com. There are other online places; here's a couple that I've found: SwissConnection, Caljava and Jestersparty.com.

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 12

Try satin ice on ebay. I have got mine from there all the time and from the same person.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 12

This place has fairly good prices.

http://www.confectioneryhouse.com/xcart/home.php?cat=558

I am using the Satin Ice gumpaste and it is fantastic. Ready to use and not the least bit sticky. I think I paid about 10.00 for a small bucket and it goes a looooong way!

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 12

i just bought some from www.cooksdream.com The have reasonable prices on icing, cake boards and boxes.

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 12

I have never worked with Satin Ice but have worked with fondant. Does it work like fondant? Also, does it have a good flavor? The MMF taste much better than Wilton. I have a wedding cake to make for my cousin in June and am trying to find the best to use. Thanks for your help.

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 12

I buy satin ice from thebakerskitchen.com
I get mny sweetex from them as well.

they have been great, quick shipping! icon_biggrin.gif

mjs4492 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 12

I began with the Wilton and have experimented with SatinIce lately. It took me a couple of times with the SatinIce to get the hang of it. I don't have to add as much Crisco (on mat or on my hands) with the SatinIce. I found if I roll it thicker than the Wilton it works best. Just my experience though.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 12

navywifetrat,

Satin Ice is a brand of fondant. I have not tried it, but most people say it tastes better than Wilton. You can flavor any fondant, I think usually with Almond, for a better flavor.

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 12

Both SatinIce and Fondx are wonderful to work with. Both taste great. For deep colors, satin ice is great and the colors are true colors.

mjs4492 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 12

czyadgrl:
about how much flavoring do you add per small batch - 2 lb (small Wilton box)? And do you mean the extracts or the oils?
I think I'm the only person on this site that likes working with Wilton and thought about just adding flavorings.

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 12

The wilton fondant was easy to work with but just doesn't taste good to me. I did try to add flavoring but I didn't notice any difference. Guess I didn't add enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%