Baby's 1St Birthday

Decorating By PJ0207 Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 7:13am by mamawrobin

PJ0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ0207 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 34

Hi, i need to make a cake for a baby girl's 1st birthday party. I was thinking about doing number or letter blocks, but i feel it is too general. Can anyone please give me other great ideas that would look great.

33 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 34

are you looking to do a sheet cake or a tiered cake?? how many servings do you need? That would help us figure out what to show you for ideas!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 34

How about matching the cake to the party theme? You could copy a design/color scheme from a plate or napkin. My granddaughter celebrated her first birthday on June 13TH and we did the "Lil' Cupcake" theme. I made a three tiered cake 12/9/6 in pale pink with lavender/violet/hot pink and white stripes and polka dots to match her plates & napkins. I used the Wilton big cupcake pan to make her matching "Smash cake". It looked so pretty and everything matched so well.

PJ0207 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 34

i was looking to do a tiered cake and it will be serving about 30 people.

Mtownsend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mtownsend Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 34

I am doing birthday cakes for my son and neice for their 1st birthday, they are a minnie and mickey smash cakes with cupcakes to match. I also thought about doing a toy box and baby blocks. If you want blocks you can always personalize with name and toys to make it more tailored to the birthday girl.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:24am
post #6 of 34

I don't know the theme but here's some cuties.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1715267.html

yummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:29am
post #7 of 34
yummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:35am
post #8 of 34
yummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:38am
post #9 of 34

And another. I can do this all day. I love girl cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1294535.html

yummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:43am
post #10 of 34

One or two more. I promise (with my fingers crossed behind my back).

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1338065.htm

yummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:06am
post #12 of 34

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1606365.html

Mamawrobin, I would love to see the picture of your grandbabies cake. Please post one when you can.

mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:13am
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1606365.html

Mamawrobin, I would love to see the picture of your grandbabies cake. Please post one when you can.

I'll try to post a couple of pictures.
LL

mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:17am
post #14 of 34

Here's one of the big cake.
LL

yummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:30am
post #15 of 34

Mamawrobin, your little grand girly is gorgeous! She looks like she was about to get into some things with that cake. LOL

The cake is beautiful and grand girly looks like she loved it too. You know girls have good taste and know pretty from the very beginning.

mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:26am
post #16 of 34

She wasn't quite sure what to do with her cake but as you can see in this next photo..she figured it out. She loves icing and has called it umm ymm
since the first time she tasted it. icon_lol.gif When I make icing at home when she hears the mixer going she comes running into the kitchen icon_lol.gif She knows she's going to get a taste. I also believe that girls "know pretty" from the git go. thumbs_up.gif

Love this picture...
LL

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:12am
post #17 of 34

Too cute!! what a gorgeous photo! Is a smash cake a tradition? part of the birthday celebration? we don't have that over here.....

mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:24am
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakescupcakes

Too cute!! what a gorgeous photo! Is a smash cake a tradition? part of the birthday celebration? we don't have that over here.....

Yes but just for the 1ST bithday. thumbs_up.gif

bakescupcakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 9:00am
post #19 of 34

Oh I see! thanks mamawrobin! that's what it is! because sometimes I see them in photos and sometimes not. But didn't realize that it was just for the 1st........

JennasNonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennasNonna Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:15am
post #20 of 34

Mamawrobing, your cakes, ideas and your help on this forum is priceless. Thanks so much for all you contribute. Your precious granddaughter is beautiful. Congratulations!

yummy Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:16pm
post #21 of 34

I knew it! I knew she was about to get into something with that cake and she did, HER FACE!

So you see Bakescupcakes, That's the reason behind the smash cake. All 1 year olds smash there hand in the cake (it's like a 1 year olds ritual) and besides at that age they are still messy (hands in mouth, dribbling. coughing and sneezing). This way the party guests can have a baby germ free cake and the birthday baby can have there own cake to do whatever it is that they do.

PJ0207 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 7:19pm
post #22 of 34

Thank you very much for all of the ideas and pictures. Greatly appreciated.

bakescupcakes Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:41pm
post #23 of 34

Thanks yummy! what a great idea! I so wish we had that tradition over here! they're soooo cute at that age, it would've been fun to see what my daughters would've done with the smash cake......I'm sure you'd get the cutest photos!

yummy Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:23am
post #24 of 34

Bakescupcakes, she didn't try to grab for the cake when you put her in front of it to sing happy birthday?

bakescupcakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:34am
post #25 of 34

No yummy, we never had smash cakes. I'll have to wait and start a tradition over here when I have grandchildren....one day! lol

kermitncupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kermitncupcake Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 8:23am
post #26 of 34

Thats a gorgeous photo Mamawrobin! You dont look old enough to have grandies yet!

mamawrobin Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:48am
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitncupcake

Thats a gorgeous photo Mamawrobin! You dont look old enough to have grandies yet!

YOU are my new "best friend" icon_lol.gif THANK YOU for making my day. thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif I have six "grandies" (Kris 10, Kam 8, Nate 7, Sara 5, Jaxon 5 and Cali 1 yr.)

Thanks for the photo comment especially. icon_biggrin.gif

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:09pm
post #28 of 34

Mamawrobin, I LOVE your grandbaby's smash cake photo! That has to be one of the cutest things I've ever seen!

mamawrobin Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 12:27pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

Mamawrobin, I LOVE your grandbaby's smash cake photo! That has to be one of the cutest things I've ever seen!

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif very much!

Choco68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Choco68 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:25pm
post #30 of 34

This is so cute! Could I sneak in too with a question? I've been asked to make a first birthday cake for twins who are turning 1 (one boy and one girl) and they want a smash cake as well! Just wondered if you made your smash cake with less sugar or if you had a recipe that you could suggest? My client wants the smash cake to be sugar free or minimum sugar - did you do that as well? Any ideas and recipes would be great! Thanks a mil everyone! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%