Sheet Cake Pricing

Business By karateka Updated 6 Oct 2013 , 5:01pm by TheItalianBaker

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 9:01pm
post #31 of 38

That cake is really cool! It's hard for us to remember that cake civilians just don't get as excited over cake as we do. So don't stress it that she "seemed" that she didnt' like it much.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:44am
post #32 of 38

Thanks, Debi-

I needed that today.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:58am
post #33 of 38

Gee, the word "jerk" comes to mind for some reason. I just looked at your cake and thought it was very nicely done. My granddaughter, who is a total Phineas and Ferb freak, would have loved it. And at $30 dollars it was a gift - even with no decoration. After your costs and your overhead, how much did you really make for your hour's work?

tralynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tralynn Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 1:28pm
post #34 of 38

Sure a slice of cake that is 2x2x2 is the same no matter if you use buttercream or fondant, but working with fondant is time consuming. I charge more for my cakes that are covered in fondant. Sheet cakes don't have to be blah. I make them all the time. I think most cake decorators would love the challenge of doing more 3-D cakes, but sheet cakes are the most requested for most. You can be very creative decorating sheet cakes, that are beyond what you get at your local supermarket. I would rather decorate a sheet cake than 100 cupcakes.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 5 Oct 2012 , 1:50pm
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tralynn

I would rather decorate a sheet cake than 100 cupcakes.

And the sheet cake will be moister and taste better...and require less packaging...

I got many sheet cake orders because my buttercream flowers were a lot nicer than the commercial bakeries. People wanted simple borders, nice flowers, and a simple message on top of a good tasting cake. Those "boring" cakes led to wedding cake orders from the same families. And then wedding cakes from their friends...

Wmouse6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wmouse6 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 8:49am
post #36 of 38

Its funny I've read all the comments, I do sheet cakes all the time.  I am newer to decorating and only been doing it a year and a half and still a little afraid of tiers.  I do a lot of sheet cakes for "Cast Parties" for the Local Theatre I'm  part of.  I always put a lot of work into them and lots of decorations or themes about the show.  I never realized how much people hated making them.  Mine are not boring by far, I think.  Most people seem to love my designs.  I also torte most of them too.  I didn't realize that was not normal.  I guess I still have a lot to learn.

I am having a hard time coming up with pricing.  $1.25-$1.50/serv too high?  Too little?  Torted?  Not Torted?  It's all a bit confusing.

Here's the cakes I've done in the last 1 & 1/2 years.  Like I said, a lot of the 2x2x2's are Torted cakes and I've done a few 4in high that are Torted too.  I guess I'm just used to them and figured out how to move them around with flat cookie sheets, so they don't break and I ALWAYS freeze them before I ever work with them.  Good tip.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/WendysCakeSensations/photos_albums

I still don't know how to price them.  Help.  Thanks!

JennSch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennSch Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 5:10pm
post #37 of 38

Before I started doing cakes I, like most people, believed sheet cakes served more people. This perception comes from making round cakes at home & cutting them like pizza slices. We had no idea they were supposed to be a certain size. (Now when I cut a round cake for my family they take 2-3 pieces because they are used to a large triangle piece.) A sheet cake was cut in squares automatically because of the shape. 

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 5:01pm
post #38 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetcakes 

i dont understand why they are boring, Yes people do expect them to be a little less expensive but that is no reason for them to be boring. Make your self a base price for each size cake. Prices start there, then add on for the extra decorating that you do that the customer wants. I think the customer also sees a sheet as easier to serve plus they will be cutting a chunk of cake, 2x2x2 and it looks substantial on the place, where as if they have to cut a 1" slice they feel that that is not as much on the plate, even though we know its all the same however you cut it. If you really dont want to do them, price them high or the same as your layer cakes.
And give the customer other suggestions. People who order sheets are not wanting a center piece cake, they want a nice cake, thats easy to serve. But they never have to be boring. Are mine boring???? icon_sad.gif

nope, your cakes are amazing!! I've never seen something like that!!! 

Anyways, yesterday I made another 1/2 sheetcake, the lady wanted it cuz it's easier to cut!

It was a chocolate cake with raspberry buttercream filling and frosting 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%