Got A Dilema! Help!

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 27 Jun 2010 , 10:59pm by sweetneice

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:09am
post #1 of 16

Ok..so I have a hexagon shaped wedding cake due for 100 guests Saturday. I thought the pans would be in on Today and they didnt come! UGH! What can I do? I've never carved but will certainly do it if I have to. Any suggestions on how to get a hexagon cake from a square or round cake? Help!!!!!!

15 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:11am
post #2 of 16

Round pans and then score the cake in equal sections...think of cutting a pie...and then trim in between the sections. I SOOOO feel for you...it's a ton of work to go thru when if the pans just arrived you'd be ok. (((HUGS)))

sweetneice Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:13am
post #3 of 16

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

sweetneice Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:45am
post #4 of 16

It's so frustrating to know that it would be easier! lol! Have you or anybody ever had to do such a thing and it worked out ok? It would make me feel better to know that someone has done this before and it turned out ok.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:55am
post #5 of 16

I haven't had to do that and I don't envy you. I'm not sure how many layers you have to do, but it may be easier to make a template (or templates) with poster board so that you can be sure you've got everything proportional and straight and then place it on the layer and cut. Just an idea.

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:05am
post #6 of 16

I think do a template first too, then BE BRAVE! I know you can do this! (And then will we see those absent pans for sale on ebay later ??!! icon_wink.gif

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:17am
post #7 of 16

I had to cut a large hex. I have the pans but needed a size bigger. Use square pans and definitely make a template. I tried without one and had to start over!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 16

Do you know anyone nearby who has the pans that you could borrow? If you were in WA state I'd loan you mine. Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 16

Agree that I'd start with square cakes .... fewer cuts to make.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 16

I would probably start with a circle, because it wastes a lot less cake and is only one more cut. For the same size hexagon, you would use a circle or square of the same size (diameter for circle, length of side for square), and you use less batter for a 10" square than you would for a 10" circle. (You can make a circle with diameter the same as the length of the square by cutting it out of a square, so you know it uses less batter.)

The images below show how you would cut a hexagon from each of the shapes, and you can see that you have to make 6 cuts on the circle and 5 on the square. However, you lose a lot more of the square. If you use a template, I don't think that it would be much harder to make 6 cuts instead of 5. So, I guess the question is whether you would prefer to do one fewer cut per layer or use significantly less flour, eggs, etc. to bake the cakes. (If you make cakeballs, this may not be a deterrent!)

I've actually done both (hex from square and from circle), and I found the circle easier, for some reason. I liked just chopping off "corner to corner", and disliked the part of the hex that didn't touch the square at the corners. That may just be me, though.

Now, if you were doing an octagon, a square would win for ease, no question.
LL
LL

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 16

if you have a bakery in the area sometimes they will rent out pans for the day

sweetneice Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 16

Hey Guys! I used the template that redpanda gave and it worked!!!!!!!!!! It was beautiful! The only problem I had was combatting the 97 degree heat outside AND INSIDE THE VENUE! I pray it stood up! It was a small cake for 100 people, so I think it was ok. The bride also gave me AND the other vendors the wrong time! The reception was told to start at 6 so I got there at 4:30 and the guests were already in there! ugh! The DJ and I were coming in at the same time! Thanks so much for all your help!

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 9:12pm
post #13 of 16

I love a happy ending! Glad it worked out for you.

sweetneice Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:05pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks Cake Whiz! I started with a circle and did the cuts! Of course I did a few deep breathes and a prayer before starting! lol! That was my first carved cake and I LOVED it!

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:56pm
post #15 of 16

Do you have a picture of the finished cake? We'd love to see it. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetneice

Thanks Cake Whiz! I started with a circle and did the cuts! Of course I did a few deep breathes and a prayer before starting! lol! That was my first carved cake and I LOVED it!

sweetneice Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 10:59pm
post #16 of 16

Yes I do! I'll upload it in a little bit! Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%