Great Find At Lowes/home Depot!

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 5:22pm by funcakes

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 22

Ok, so I had a ton of cakes to bake for this weekend's cakes (about 28 total, plus some cupcakes and cookies) and I only have 6 cooling racks! Sooooo...once the cakes are cool I will usually transfer them to a parchment lined cookie sheet or cardboard cake board and then wrap them up and stick them in the deep freezer.

Well, just as I was about to buy 10 1/2 sheet cake boards for this purpose I thought (since they get moist in the freezer and have to be tossed) wouldn't it be nice to have a thin sturdy board that could be easily cleaned/wiped off and reused for this purpose?? They would have to be cheap because I would need lots!

So I walked around Lowe's for about 5 minutes in the lumber section and found masonite board (I think that's what it is)...it's only about 1/8" thick and it's the same stuff they use for peg boards on garage walls, only with no holes.

I got a 6'x8' piece for $6.49 and had the guy there cut it into 24 10"x14" boards, plus 2 boards that are 20x28 for full sheet cakes (I like to stick a sturdy board under the cake in the box for extra support)

I made THEM cut it....they cut it into strips, then stacked all the strips and made 2 more cuts cutting it in thirds....I had some odd end pieces that were about 6" x8" which I gave to my children and they're using them as little chalk boards and couldn't be happier (they like to play school).

So all in all, they made 10 cuts to the wood...you get 2 cuts for free and they charge $.25/cut after that...so I paid $8.49 for 26 cake boards made of wood that are completely washable and reuseable!!!

Had to share! What a deal!

I've attached a photo of one of the boards below.......this is one that had a cake on it already so that's why you can see some moisture, I wiped it clean.
LL

21 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 22

one note -- we use this a lot in theatre (many a stage floor is covered in this)

being a pressed wood product (compressed wood fibers -- no glue or resin) it too can suffer failure from moisture.

seal them with food grade polyurethane.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 22

Oh thenks for sharing this. I'm making my daughter a headboard and needed to go to Home Depot for the plywood; guess I'll be headed to the masonite isle too.

KHalstead Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 22

Thanks Doug...........I was just using them as support under my wrapped cake, but I do wrap the board up as well, so I'm sure moisture will get on them.

It sure beats tossing all those cardboard cake boards!

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 22

fantastic!! I bought particle board and had them cut it...used it covered with paper and plastic wrap of course...then my hubby informed me I could just buy masonite, but he wasn't positive Lowes would have it...wahoo! Thanks!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 22

That is a great find...also good for a sturdy base to deliver cakes. I had two really good boards, left them at a church for a wedding reception and never got them back.

Doug Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Thanks Doug...........I was just using them as support under my wrapped cake, but I do wrap the board up as well, so I'm sure moisture will get on them.

It sure beats tossing all those cardboard cake boards!

condensation! humidity can get in nigh everywhere.

-----

theater people LUV this stuff (luan a close second)

and you can glue boards together for thicker and stronger

KHalstead Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 22

ooohhhh.........what kinda glue? Just wood glue??

You can't beat the price of the stuff. Masonite cake boards are several dollars a piece online, and hey I paid the guy 2 bucks to cut it all up for me in less than 5 minutes.....can't beat that!! lol

Doug Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:

ooohhhh.........what kinda glue? Just wood glue??

rough side to rough side -- any gap filling glue, like Gorilla glue

smooth side to smooth side -- contact cement

remember -- lots of pressure while it cures.

Quote:

You can't beat the price of the stuff. Masonite cake boards are several dollars a piece online, and hey I paid the guy 2 bucks to cut it all up for me in less than 5 minutes.....can't beat that!! lol

which is why theatre people love if for covering stages. So what if it gets chipped, dripped on, scratched....just pop out the screws and lay in a new sheet, dirt cheap!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 22

I also bought the masonite and had it cut to the sizes I need. It's very sturdy and inexpensive.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 9:45pm
post #11 of 22

Would they cut circles? Probably too good to be true!

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:14pm
post #12 of 22

Thanks for sharing the info! I can't wait to get to Lowe's!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:17pm
post #13 of 22

You could ask about cutting circles, but I'm almost positive the answer is no! They have a big thing they slip the board into and then pull a saw down thru it or across, making straight cuts.

Rog2e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rog2e Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:18am
post #14 of 22

It is tempered hard board and is the same as masonite. 1/8" is the thinnest they have but they also have 3/16" at some Lowes.

KHalstead Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:20pm
post #15 of 22

Rog2e good prices on your round masonite boards, shipping is a little steep though! Too bad I'm not close to you!

Rog2e Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:29pm
post #16 of 22

Yeah don't go by what ebay is stating for shipping. It's accurate for 1 or 2 boards, but for multiple boards the price gets a little crazy because ebay only lets me specify 1 weight and of course a 6" board doesn't weigh the same as an 18" board. When I get inquiries about the shipping I always ask for a zipcode and what they plan to order and tell them what the shipping really is. Yeah it would be too crazy if you bough $25.00 worth of boards and the shipping is more!

asanchez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asanchez Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:31pm
post #17 of 22

That is good to know. I was planning to order it online, but I will definitely stop at Lowes or HD.

Thanks. and happy caking!!!!

KHalstead Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:38pm
post #18 of 22

so you're saying that if I buy 1 board the shipping is NOT $5.00?

Rog2e Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:34pm
post #19 of 22

No actually 1 board would probably be $5.00. But what I meant its more like if you bought 5 boards the ebay price would say in your example $25.00 for shipping but the real USPS price would probably be like $8-10.

This is because when you do shipping prices in ebay it asks for the weight of your item and it only lets you specifiy 1 weight.

Yeah I wish these boards were lighter, but I guess thats why they're so sturdy. I used to try to give free shipping or flat rate prices over a certain amount but had sticker shock when I saw how much the shipping was!

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:58pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

one note -- we use this a lot in theatre (many a stage floor is covered in this)

being a pressed wood product (compressed wood fibers -- no glue or resin) it too can suffer failure from moisture.

seal them with food grade polyurethane.

So getting back to this statement...I'm wondering, what would be a name brand I could look for that is a 'food grade polyurethane'?

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm
post #21 of 22

I just buy the masonite in a sheet and have my dad cut it. He has so many different kinds of saws it's crazy.
I had a few not returned lately so I need to go buy some more and have them cut down again.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 5:22pm
post #22 of 22

Years of teaching preschool has made a scavenger out of me! I know that masonite is used under lots of other floor covering, since that's DH's line of work. When they lay a large room there are lots of "small pieces" left over that they can't use. Small to them is not small to us. I was wondering if you had a floor covering store near you, would they sell cheap or give you the boards? Owner/operated local stores are willing to give away things chain stores can't. My DH brings home wood and makes boxes to carry my cakes and cuts rounds to use as cake boards.
He also supplies all my teacher friends with carpet squares for their classrooms.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%