Ideas For My First Wedding Cake

Decorating By MGCmom Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 8:09pm by yummy

MGCmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MGCmom Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all,
I would really appreciate any ideas, or helpful hints on my first wedding cake. The cake is for 150 people. The bride(my friend) wants to have a square tiered cake with layers alternating in white and black fondant. And have flowers cascade down the cake. She has given me creative license as far as flowers for the cake. Her flowers are most likely going to be a growers bunch from the flower shop that morning. She is very simple. Probably will be gerbera daisies mostly. The girls carrying vases of coloured sand that her and her husband and son will pour into a vase instead of the traditional candle. The colours are black and white and green found in the girls necklaces, malachite stone.

My ideas are making white gerberas with a green center that is similar to the stone colour. Or a artistic looking flower and alternate white on black layers and black on white layers. If anyone has any suggestions or know of a good place to find how to flower instructions I would be very grateful. Looking forward to any ideas!! icon_biggrin.gif [/img]
LL
LL

2 replies
honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 3

SEE MY SUGGESTIONS IN CAPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGCmom

Hi all,
I would really appreciate any ideas, or helpful hints on my first wedding cake. ANYTIME...WISH YOU ALL THE BEST! HOW EXCITING.
HAVE YOU MADE CAKES BEFORE THIS ONE?STACKED CAKES? DO YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE TRANSPORTING A STACKED CAKE?
DO YOU HAVE A GOOD TRUSTED CAKE RECIPE? FILLING? BUTTERCREAM?
The cake is for 150 people. TO COMPENSATE FOR THAT MANY SERVINGS YOU WILL PROBABLY NEED 3-4 TIERS,DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF THE CAKE. The bride(my friend) wants to have a square tiered cake with layers alternating in white and black fondant. And have flowers cascade down the cake. PRETTY! I CAN IMAGINE IT IS A GORGEOUS DESIGN. HAVE YOU MADE SQUARE CAKES BEFORE? I REMEMBER MY FIRST SQUARE CAKE WAS INTIMIDATING FOR ME BECAUSE OF THE CORNERS,I WANTED TO GET SHARP STRAIGHT CORNERS...
She has given me creative license as far as flowers for the cake. Her flowers are most likely going to be a growers bunch from the flower shop that morning. She is very simple. Probably will be gerbera daisies mostly. The girls carrying vases of coloured sand that her and her husband and son will pour into a vase instead of the traditional candle. The colours are black and white and green found in the girls necklaces, malachite stone.
YOU CAN ALSO GET COORDINATING FLOWERS FROM HOOBY LOBBY.THEY HAVE REALLY PRETTY AND REALISTIC LOOKING FLOWERS.
My ideas are making white gerberas with a green center that is similar to the stone colour.
IF SO...THEN YOU SHOULD INVEST IN THE 3 PC DAISY CUTTER SET.IT LOOKS LIKE THIS http://www.sugaredproductions.com/_product_88461/150_mm_Daisy_Plunger_Cutter-Veiner

Or a artistic looking flower and alternate white on black layers and black on white layers.
HERE IS A BLOGPOST ON A CAKE I MADE WITH SOME FANTASY FLOWERS, http://teenbatateen.blogspot.com/2010/05/chocolate-love.html
If anyone has any suggestions or know of a good place to find how to flower instructions I would be very grateful. Looking forward to any ideas!! icon_biggrin.gif [/img]

I NOTICED MY DECORATING SKILLS IMPROVED A HUGE DEAL AFTER THE SUGAR SHACK DVDs,THEY ARE AN AWESOME INVESTMENT.I'D RECOMMEND BUYING HER BUTTERCREAM DVD AND THE STACKING DVD IF YOU ARE SELF TAUGHT DECORATOR.IF YOU HAVE TIME AND WANT TO LEARN MORE,I'D SAY FIND A LOCAL CAKE DECORATING SUPPLY STORE THAT OFFERS CLASSES ON WEDDING CAKES ETC... YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT HOW MUCH YOU WILL LEARN,IF YOU FIND A GOOD TEACHER icon_wink.gif
YOU CAN TOTALLY DO IT!!! THERE ARE TONS OF AWESOME AND HELPFUL,NEEDLESS TO SAY EXTREMELY TALENTED PEOPLE HERE ON CAKE CENTRAL WHO ARE VERY GENEROUS WHEN IT COMES TO HELPING OUT! WISH YOU ALL THE BEST.
- h

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%