How Often Do You Work On Sundays?

Business By Motta Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 1:44am by Mindy1975

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:16am
post #1 of 34

Is it every weekend or just sometimes? Do you have orders for wedding cakes on Sundays?

33 replies
snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:36am
post #2 of 34

Every single Sunday. There are often weddings on Sunday, and when there's not, there are always birthdays, or taxes to do, or orders to put in for supplies.

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:48am
post #3 of 34

As Snarky said.. every one of them. If it is not actual cake orders, for me it is inventory/ordering for everything used throughout the past week. Plus Sundays and Mondays are for paperwork and deep cleaning. (everything gets a thorough cleaning including table legs and light switches)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:16am
post #4 of 34

As a business owner, we pretty much keep a 24/7 schedule. I know first hand that it's hard to do but we really have to schedule some me-time for ourselves. My shop was closed on Sun and Mon. Granted I was usually in there on Monday, but if I really wanted some me-time, I knew I could stay in bed on Monday. And some Sunday's I'd go in and do some cleaning, especially if I'd had a big catering job (or two!) that Saturday.

One of my favorite stories about people who are used to living in a 24/7 world, and why we need to be firm on protecting our me-time. I asked them what time on Sat they wanted to pick up the shower cake:

Them: Oh the shower's not until Sunday.
Me: I'm not open on Sunday, so what time on Saturday?
Them: Well, we were really wanting to pick it up on Sunday.
Me: I'm not open on Sunday, so what time on Saturday?
Them: Will it be ok just sitting on the counter?
Me: Your counter .... my counter .... makes no difference to the cake. What time on Saturday?

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 34

I try really hard not to do anything on Sun. I don't want to do. Sometimes I go in and work on projects or as Indy said clean the shop...but only if I want to.

Minette

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:04pm
post #6 of 34

I usually am baking for next week orders....I try not to do much but when I am really busy I am covering boards,making embellishments,etc.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 34

My Sundays go like this:

7:30 am wake up, brush teeth, make coffee
7:45 am read Bible
8:30 am wake up kids, feed them
9:00 am get kids in bath (1 of the 3 goes downstairs shower, other 2 little ones up in bath together depending on time constraints)
9:30 am get out everyone's clothes, deligate everyone to get dressed
10:00 am leave for church which starts at 10:30am
12:30-12:45 pm get home from church
1:00 pm get everyone changed, make and feed everyone lunch
2:00 pm leave to go get household groceries for week (usually take my mom and BFF's Grandma shopping as well since they need help getting around)
3:30 or 4:00 pm get home from shopping, unpack put away groceries
4:30 pm start to cook dinner (we bring it to church at night and share w/ everyone)
5:00 pm finish dinner, delegate everyone to get dressed AGAIN
5:30pm leave for church (starts at 6pm)
8:00 pm get home from church, get kids changed AGAIN
8:30pm get everyone into bed
9:00 pm read Bible
10:00 pm figure out cakes for the week, and make a list of items needed
10:30pm go to bed because I'm exhausted!!

THERE IS NO ROOM TO WORK ON SUNDAYS! lol

Actually I had a cake due this Monday and that does happen....so somewhere in that schedule I decorated a cake!! lol

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 34

I accept as much work as I can...especially when so many are out of work and struggling. I still put my family first, so I work when they are asleep. a few pickups/deliveries on Sunday morning, work Sat night. icon_smile.gif

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

My Sundays go like this:

9:00 am get kids in bath (1 of the 3 goes downstairs shower, other 2 little ones up in bath together depending on time constraints)
2:00 pm leave to go get household groceries for week (usually take my mom and BFF's Grandma shopping as well since they need help getting around)
4:30 pm start to cook dinner (we bring it to church at night and share w/ everyone)

Actually I had a cake due this Monday and that does happen....so somewhere in that schedule I decorated a cake!! lol

I'm exausted just reading that! I'm gonna have to go take a nap now....... icon_razz.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 34

I work every Sunday regardless of whether it's delivering cakes or doing paperwork.

KHalstead Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 34

I do paperwork and that sort of thing too I'm sure, if it's necessary......just the actual baking/decorating stuff I try to steer clear of on sundays IF I can manage.....this week I wasn't that lucky....this next week I've got a couple deliveries between am church services and grocery shopping, but I guess when I think about "I have to work today" it usually involves baking/decorating.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:07pm
post #12 of 34

I work every Sunday as well. Could be working on fondant items, having Bridal Consult, paper work, cleaning and cleaning and cleaning from making the cake(s) I delivered Friday, Saturday, answering emails, working on website or FB page. I really need to get working on watermarking all my pics but I am soooo dreading doing all that...my point is like Indydebi said there's always something that has to be done 24/7. I actually do have a wedding this year on a Sunday for the 10/10/10 date.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 34

I learnt 7 years ago that life is too short not to have *your time*
I have done an occassional delivery and set up only on a Sunday Morning - then dh and i go out for breakfast.

I'd rather make a large pot of home made stock and then soup for us and family/friends to sit down and share than go bake/decorate a cake for others.

Its 3.25AM here now - and i am at my desk doing paperwork (and reading CC icon_wink.gif ) - so no, they don't get me on a Sunday.

Bluehue.

KHalstead Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 34

oh Bluehue, you make your own stock? Is there anything you DON'T do from scratch???

It's over 90 degrees here today and just reading that actually made me want some soup! (not sure if it's the idea of homemade stock or the idea of getting to sit down to a meal with family and friends that made me want it!)

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:56pm
post #15 of 34

I don't work Sundays. Not ever. No deliveries, no collections and no weddings! I don't take customer phone calls and I don't respond to emails. The only thing I'll do is late on Sunday night put together a to do list of cakes to be baked that week & any modelling to be done.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:19pm
post #16 of 34
Quote:

oh Bluehue, you make your own stock?
Most odd - but i love making different stocks....and then turning them into soups.
Letting the roasted bones bubble away for hours - hmmmmm love the smell and the thought of *what will be*
Its winter here now - so i am stocking and souping and then freezing to my hearts content

Is there anything you DON'T do from scratch???
LOLLLL - i don't raise the animals for my soups bones/carcasas and i don't grow grapes for the red wines we drink after our soup icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

It's over 90 degrees here today and just reading that actually made me want some soup! (not sure if it's the idea of homemade stock or the idea of getting to sit down to a meal with family and friends that made me want it!)
Your very busy raising 3 little ones - and caking -
DH and i are are what we call empty nesters now - so i have time to make things and then feed family/friends when they come around for a meal
Made Bacon Bone stock last week - all ready for bacon bone and split pea soup this week - wish i could send over a container of stock to you.

Bluehue

KHalstead Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm
post #17 of 34

oh YUM, I wouldn't turn down ANYTHING with bacon in it!! LOL

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:31pm
post #18 of 34

I allow pickups around church times...and if I have to do some fondant prep or something I will do that but I try not to do much. Or an occasional delivery.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:50pm
post #19 of 34

Most of my consults are on Sundays (I've scheduled it that way) so I work almost every sunday. We usually take one sunday off every other month, just to catch up.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:21am
post #20 of 34

I work on cake Monday-Friday and do my deliveries on Saturdays. Party cake deliveries are between 9-12:00 on Saturday mornings. Weddings are all day Saturday. I rarely get a Sunday wedding. I occasionally do Sunday consults but usually try to shoot for a day in the week.

Do you guys charge more for a Sunday wedding delivery?

prbakingmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prbakingmama Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:59am
post #21 of 34

My family and I go to church on Sunday a.m. and then we do something afterwards. It's our family day and so no pickups for Sunday. Everyone so far is very understanding and if they want a cake for a Sunday activity they will pickup on Saturday. Of course there are exceptions like special occassions (a family function, etc.).

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:27am
post #22 of 34
Quote:

My Sundays go like this:

Can I just say that the one thing about your whole schedule that I am really in awe of is the fact that you actually have to wake your kids up icon_razz.gif Mine almost never sleep in past 7:30!

sorry, a little OT there icon_rolleyes.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:33am
post #23 of 34

I don't do pickups or consults. I sometimes spend the evening doing paperwork or finding inspiration for new cakes. I don't go to the shop though.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:37am
post #24 of 34

hardly ever, like indy i make em pick up sunday orders on saurday, i'm older than most of you
(52)......when you get my age and realize "theres not that many shopping days left till christmas"...you star really being jealous over your me time.....i've got the cutest 2 pugs in 7 states....i spend sunday puttering around the house and laying in bed watching movies with my pooches

KHalstead Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:02pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Can I just say that the one thing about your whole schedule that I am really in awe of is the fact that you actually have to wake your kids up icon_razz.gif Mine almost never sleep in past 7:30!

sorry, a little OT there icon_rolleyes.gif

I know!!! They're 8 and 6 and they're like teenagers already! They want to sleep til at least 9am, but then again it's a struggle getting them to bed at 8pm as well..........which is WHY I wake them up! lol

Motta Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:58pm
post #26 of 34

I didn't know there were new responses! Thanks ladies (and gents?). You're all so strong to have your businesses and families and trying to juggle it all.

For me personally, I was raised to think of Sunday as a day of rest and to go to church and spend time with the family. I already hate to think of all the Saturdays I'll miss with my kids with cakes to make or deliver. The only good point is that I can turn away orders if I want a weekend off while I have my home-based biz.

If and when I have a storefront, I figured I would have to accept orders for Sunday but, I just wised up after reading this and have decided I will be protective of my time and family and I'll take Sundays and Mondays OFF.

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 6:28pm
post #27 of 34

Church for me too! I also have to teach Sunday School and that stresses me out more than doing a cake sometimes! We also go eat lunch afterwards at the cafe in our small town with my folks every Sunday. I don't even get home till about 1:00. I may schedule a cake consult then after that in the afternoon, but that's about it when it comes to cake work. Then we usually eat a very light supper and we all pile in our bed early at like 6:30 with ice cream and watch several episodes of COPS all night while I read the sunday paper until every one drifts off to sleep. I love our Sundays together. Expecially after a very stressful weekend of wedding cakes or whatever! lol

Motta Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:10pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy1975

Church for me too! I also have to teach Sunday School and that stresses me out more than doing a cake sometimes! We also go eat lunch afterwards at the cafe in our small town with my folks every Sunday. I don't even get home till about 1:00. I may schedule a cake consult then after that in the afternoon, but that's about it when it comes to cake work. Then we usually eat a very light supper and we all pile in our bed early at like 6:30 with ice cream and watch several episodes of COPS all night while I read the sunday paper until every one drifts off to sleep. I love our Sundays together. Expecially after a very stressful weekend of wedding cakes or whatever! lol

Oh, that sounds like a wonderful way to spend Sunday! I love the everyone in bed part.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:20pm
post #29 of 34

No Sunday work for me, that is the Lord's Day. Yes I know your event is on Sunday, if you would like I will deliver or you can pick up on Saturday but my bakery is closed on Sunday.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:46am
post #30 of 34

I thought Saturday was the original Sabbath....the seventh day? (Sun-Sat)That always confuses me... icon_confused.gif We have a lot of Seventh Day Adventists in the area and they make a strong argument. Maybe Sunday is church day because so many jobs work Saturday? That would make sense. I'm open to all beliefs though, so it makes no difference to me either way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%