Magnolia Vanilla Recipe

Baking By caraleecupcake Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 6:50pm by newmansmom2004

caraleecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caraleecupcake Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 16

I've been using the Magnolia vanilla cupcake recipe as my "go to" vanilla recipe (I like to add fresh vanilla beans icon_wink.gif It's simple and its great to modify when I want to try something new... but my problem is when I do the recipe, I never know how the cupcakes will turn out! No matter what pan I use, rotating them in the oven, how long I mix it, whatever, I get a beautiful cupcake next to an ugly melted looking cupcake. I just don't get it icon_sad.gif

Friday I made 150 cupcakes for a wedding... the red velvet came out fine, the chocolate mocha cupcakes came out fine (both not 1 ugly looking cupcake). But with the Magnolia cupcake I had to make extra so I could weed out the ugly ones.

Maybe its the type of flours and the baking soda/powder combos. Magnolia does use self rising. It's just annoying wasting cupcakes sometimes...I think I might have to start looking for a new "go to" recipe...

15 replies
hollyberry91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyberry91 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:41am
post #2 of 16

I think your right it's probably the baking powder/baking soda combo being affected differently by the difference in temperature in different areas of your oven. I've never heard of magnolia vanilla cupcakes what is the magnolia part if you don't mind sharing?

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:48am
post #3 of 16

I also use the Magnolia vanilla cupcake recipe and I also use their chocolate one. I used to have that same problem with both. If you are making larger batches of the cupcakes you have to make sure the items are "well incorporated" and mixed up very well. I found when I got out my spatula and really turned the batter over in the bowl and made sure all ingredients were well mixed, no more one or two messy cupcakes. I watched their youtube video on the red velvet and the person from magnolia mentions that you have to mix the ingredients very well. I also use the ice cream scoop like she does and I don't like to disturb the batter once it's in the pan. That's all I can think of.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:04am
post #4 of 16

I had the same problem with ugly cupcakes. But I found that if you let the batter sit a while before baking, they come out better.

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:17am
post #5 of 16

Wow, I had the same problem with that batter. I use Martha Stewart's now - turns out great every time.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:26am
post #6 of 16

Magnolia Bakery is a bakery in NYC that has produced cookbooks. Their cupcakes were featured on Sex and the City. If you google "Magnolia Cupcake Recipe", you will get what you asked for.

JustABite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustABite Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #7 of 16

Could you tell us if that recipie is listed here? If not, how would we get it? I love to try new recipies!

Thanks to all for your input!

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 16

Wow again, Makes you wonder if we got the same recipe they use. Hummm.... You know how some people don't tell you every little detail in a recipe or leave something out.

caraleecupcake Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:31am
post #9 of 16

thanks for all the great responses!! i would have replied sooner, but i guess i forgot to check the "email me" when people respond so i had no idea people responded!

thanks again CCers icon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:50am
post #10 of 16

Have to say I was severely UNimpressed with MB in NYC. The cupcakes were dry and crumbly. I swear my MStewarts recipe tho...soft, moist, wonderful. And never any baking problems.

Cat

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:03pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Have to say I was severely UNimpressed with MB in NYC. The cupcakes were dry and crumbly. I swear my MStewarts recipe tho...soft, moist, wonderful. And never any baking problems.

Cat

is there a link to this recipe? Or it is in her book?
I would love to try it. I don't have a good vanilla cake recipe yet.

Thanks!

caraleecupcake Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 12:27pm
post #12 of 16

Linda - I looked up the recipe at marthastweart.com ... there were a few there, a white cake and a yellow butter cake... I'm gonna try them out for a cake i'm going this weekend icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:02pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by caraleecupcake

Linda - I looked up the recipe at marthastweart.com ... there were a few there, a white cake and a yellow butter cake... I'm gonna try them out for a cake i'm going this weekend icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #14 of 16

Just made 8 doz cupcakes with 4 dozen Magnolia vanilla and 4 doz chocolate (magnolia too). Came out perfect. I took them to a summer camp and one girl bit into the vanilla and said "OMG these taste just like that bakery in NYC where they sell cupcakes for like $7 each!". Interesting that the vanilla cupcakes were eaten first before the chocolate.

I never have a messed up cupcake but I mix with my hand mixer user a wire whip in a large bowl. I take a large spatula, turn off the mixer and really turn the batter over and then beat. Because the recipe is already doubled for 24 cupcakes, you have to make sure the ingredients are mixed well. I have even doubled this recipe for 48 cupcakes and it still works. Also, do NOT overbake or they will be too dry.

caraleecupcake Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:44pm
post #15 of 16

thanks cheriej icon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:50pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Have to say I was severely UNimpressed with MB in NYC. The cupcakes were dry and crumbly.
Cat

Ditto with Sprinkles. I tried their strawberry cupcake recipe recently (from an appearance on Martha Stewart) and it was AWFUL. I can't imagine they got so popular with this kind of cupcake. Hubby, who eats everything, took one bite and said "Um...sorry, but these aren't good." I agreed...dry, mini hockey pucks that were kind of rubbery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%