How To Stack A 6+ Tiered Wedding Cake

Decorating By cdent Updated 20 Jul 2014 , 2:15pm by leah_s

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:28am
post #1 of 11

Hey guys,

I have never stacked a cake higher than 4 tiers and I have been commissioned to create a 6 tier cake and I am SUPER nervous. Is there a trick to doubly make sure my cake doesn't lean and/or crash down? I would like to run a 3/4" metal pipe through all the layers...any other suggestions? Thanks Guys!!

10 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:08am
post #2 of 11

Hmmm, I think the best thing would be to use the cake safe or SPS. I have done a 5 tier (almost 4 feet tall) pure cake using a combination of wooden dowels and bubble tea straws with success.

Good luck.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 9:36am
post #3 of 11

I would say to go with SPS also.

I have never used it but I have never done a cake larger than 4 tiers. I use bubble tea straws and a center dowel, but if I was to do a cake that large for a paying customer I would want the added peace of mind and use SPS.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:44am
post #4 of 11

SPS all the way!

I've transported a 6 layer down uneven country roads, not a single layer budged even a fraction of an inch. The only thing you'll have to worry about is someone to help you lift/carry the cake thumbs_up.gif .

Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:50am
post #5 of 11

Before you decide to stack the whole thing for delivery, make sure (a) that you can pick it up! (b) that it fits in your delivery vehicle.

Stacking a 6 tier isn't any different than stacking a 3 tier. Your dowels might be a little bigger (for a 6 tier, I'll use the wilton hollow plastic dowels ... 5 in the bottom tier; 4 in the next tier; and wooden dowels in all remaining tiers), but the method is the same.

I, personally, prefer to assemble such a large cake on-site.

aliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:05pm
post #6 of 11

I only did this once (minie and mickey wedding in my pic) I did use sps and stacked the first four tiers (like Indydebi said this is what I could lift) and the put the rest of the tiers at the wedding and finished the borders. Everything went just fine for me. Hope it goes well for you too.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 11

I notice the OP never said she was traveling with it stacked. Are you just concerned with the stacking of it???

No need to worry about leaning or crashing as long as you

1.) make sure all of your dowels are cut perfectly straight and even with EACHOTHER, not the top of the cake's icing

2.) make sure the table you're setting the cake on is level

3.) you use a decent stacking system (whether it's SPS, or hollow dowels and cake circles, etc. it doesn't have to be expensive, just make sure the dowels are sturdy and can't tilt or your whole cake will CRASH (ask me how I know this?)

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 11

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much...oh and yes, I was hoping to travel with it assembled but I am not sure if it will fit my my 4-runner icon_wink.gif

Aunt boo 39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aunt boo 39 Posted 20 Jul 2014 , 5:54am
post #9 of 11

ACan some one tell me what SPS MEAN?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jul 2014 , 11:37am
post #10 of 11

Asingle plate system -- it's like setting a miniature table into each tier as the bones that the cake is stacked upon --

chef leah has the instructions on page 15 on a giant thread entitled 'sps instructions' just do a search for it -- search box is up in these top right corner unless you're on a phone

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jul 2014 , 2:15pm
post #11 of 11

AYep. SPS. You'll love it. Ive done MANY 6 tiers and a couple of 7 tiers with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%