Idea For Home Business

Business By Hutchy Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 3:14pm by cakeschmake

Hutchy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hutchy Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 20

My husband is in the Army and currently deployed (for the 3rd time) and I've always sent him cakes in a jar. Last month I sent 2 dozen jars to him and his boys that he works with and my mom said "you should start charging for them!" and at first I just laughed but now I've been giving it a lot more thought. I live in TN so I know they allow home bakeries but I'm not sure about online orders or shipping. I'm planning to gear this more toward military family that want to send something home made but don't have the time or knowledge to do it themselves. My neighbor said she'd love to give them as Christmas gifts.

Has anyone started a home bakery in TN that can give me some idea's of how hard it is to pass inspection or if I would even be allowed to do this? I love baking and would like to maybe branch out to making cakes (I don't have decorating experience but I make an AWESOME German Chocolate cake and Italian Creme cake from scratch.)

Thanks for the feedback!

19 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 20

Welcome to CC and thank your hubby for his service! thumbs_up.gifusaribbon.gifthumbs_up.gif I would contact your local health department first to see if you can bake/sell from your home. What exactly is a cake in a jar? detective.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 20

Oops! Just read that TN does allow home based bakeries..sorry, but I would still call the HD for all the details.

Hutchy Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 20

I use pint size canning jars to bake the cakes then when you seal them it creates a vacuum so the cake stays fresh for weeks. I've send well over a hundred jars this way in the last couple of years. I sent 2 dozen last month and my husband said they were all gone in a couple of hours! lol I'm pretty sure some ended up being snuck into pockets and taken back to their rooms for later! They all have been asking for more so I have 3 dozen more jars to go out this week.

I was just hoping someone had experience in TN and could give me some tips. My husband's OCD has rubbed off on me so I keep my house very clean but the though of inspection makes me nervous!

dare2bloved Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dare2bloved Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 20

I'm from Texas, Howdy. lol Would you mind sharing the instructions, I have a soon to be son -in-law that is in the Navy and he is longing for some of my cakes but said it takes a while to reach him. How long can they be kept? I would love to surprise him.

Hutchy Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 20

PM sent! icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 20

Neat idea..that would be great if you could market them!!

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 20

I have never heard of that. Would you mind sharing the instructions; can you pm me?????

Hutchy Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 20

Cutthecake posted a great link with a lot of how to's! This idea is more widely known in the Military community (to my understanding).

Thanks for the feed back!

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 20

LOVE this idea - I think I have a new project!!

MomMiller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomMiller Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:33pm
post #12 of 20

I'm gonna check out the link but would also love the instructions too. Plz pm me too! Thanks

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:36pm
post #13 of 20

I don't know about anyone slse but that link just sent me to the google home page?

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:21pm
post #14 of 20

[quote="Hutchy"]I use pint size canning jars to bake the cakes then when you seal them it creates a vacuum so the cake stays fresh for weeks.

I have made these jar cakes, and actually they will last for YEARS if the seal remains intact! I had one let over on time, so put it on the shelf and forgot about it for nearly 3 years. I had put a gingham cover with a bow on the top so it looked pretty in the china cabinet. So after some time I got curious to see if it was still good! Yup...cracked the seal and smelled like sweet cake and tasted fine! So IF they last for a while...they are fine!

deanna_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanna_cake Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:03am
post #15 of 20

Could you pm me the instructions too? I'd love to be able to make them and send them to friends and family...

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:35am
post #16 of 20

Do you frost them or add filling or anything?

ameliasam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ameliasam Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:50am
post #17 of 20

I live in TN the Williamson CTY and I call about having a home business they told me I would have to have a door that close off my kitchen from the rest of the house, need a 3 layer sink, another sink to wash my hands in and then a mop sink. You can not have anyone in there with you while you are baking and no pets. I hope that helps. I have friend in Maury and Nashville and they said they have the same rules as williamson. But if you call the HD they will let you know what you would need. icon_smile.gif

Hutchy Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:20am
post #18 of 20

Here is a link for Cake in a Jar on allrecipes http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cake-in-a-jar/Detail.aspx it has exact instructions and you can use any kind of cake recipe just adjust the time according to the recipe.

Do NOT use any kind of icing or frosting. That will mold if left out for any length of time and that would not be good. When I send them I just send a jar of DH store bought icing because I know that is shelf stable! I've noticed that cakes stay much more moist than bread recipes if they are left sitting for a week or 2. The jars can last for months if they are properly sealed.

Thanks for the info about the kitchen. I don't think that is going to work in this house, no way to close the kitchen off from the rest of the house. I'll still call just to see if the rules are different for this area but at least I have some expectations.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:33pm
post #19 of 20

Hi Hutchy! I really like the idea of cake baked in a jar, so I looked up some more info. online. Did you know that the USDA and the canning jar manufacturers do not recommend doing this? It has something to do with the potential for it causing botulism. It also says that people have been doing this for years with no trouble, but the potential is still there.
I wasn't sure if you knew about this. Doing it for free for family and friends is one thing, but turning it into a business might be something that has the potential to cause huge liability issues for you.
Just wanted you to be aware of this... good luck with whatever you decide!

Maria

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:14pm
post #20 of 20

Hutchy,

I am licensed in Tn and I didnt have to get a 3 bay sink or separate mop sink, but no pets does apply to me so maybe the rules are different for each county. You should check with the Dept of Agriculture, Regulatory Services Division; here is a link where you can find the Domestic Kitchen Rules

http://www.state.tn.us/agriculture/regulatory/index.html

Hope this helps, good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%