Vegetarian Marshmallows/gelatin

Baking By veghed Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 11:49pm by sberryp

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:14am
post #1 of 17

Has anyone tried using vegetarian/vegan marshmallows to make MMF?

Or used vegetarian/vegan gelatin in other fondant recipes that call for gelatin?

16 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:05am
post #2 of 17

wow.. i did not know you could make jello/gelatin with out pectin. What do they use to jel the product with? Do you have a web site, so i can go check it out? I love learning new things!! icon_biggrin.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:18am
post #3 of 17

I just learned that there are vegan marshmellows 2 nights ago. I'm also interested to know if anyone has tried using these yet.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:21am
post #4 of 17

I have. I used agar-agar to make the fondant for my sister's wedding cake. (asian - celtic theme in my photos). I would avoid doing it again at all costs. While the fondant did work it was VERY soft. It is hard to explain it but it was very soft and wanted to stretch a lot. It wasn't the type of thing that could be fixed by adding more powdered sugar. I did manage to use it but you will notice that I had issues when you look at the cake. A few of them had to do with the fact it was the first time I had ever covered tiers that large in fondant but the softness of the fondant contributed to my torment. LOL. I had to do it because my sister's husband follows kosher laws and as ked that I not use regular gelatin or marshmallows. Now that I know I can by Kosher fondant - I would do that before I ever made it again with the vegetarian gelatin.

cake-angel Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:26am
post #5 of 17

Just an after thought to my above post - this is just my opinion since I only made it that one time and was under a fair amount of stress being the cake decorator, wedding planner and bridesmaid all at the same time. LOL. It did make fondant that was useable (since I did succesfully cover the cakes with it) although soft - possibly playing around with the amounts of agar agar would be able to make a firmer fondant. I used the Toba Garret recipe subbing the agar agar for the regular gelatin when I made it.

bizatchgirl Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:37am
post #6 of 17

cake-angel,
Who makes kosher fondant? Is it vegetarian?

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:40am
post #7 of 17

If you have to make it vegetarian I have found that the Paskeez brand works best. They are NOT vegan. However, since my issue was to have it kosher and non-dairy, I opt to purchase ready made fondant except on Passover, when it isn't available. I didn't find it to be worth the hassle and it is definitely much, much softer (and therefore harder to handle) than non-kosher/non-vegetarian MMF.

Good luck,
Kathi

cake-angel Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:02am
post #8 of 17

Satin Ice is Certified kosher pareve, providing access to a broader market.

That is a quote directly from their website. I can't speak to the vegetarian issue. These are the ingredients though:
Sugar, Corn Syrup, Palm Oil, natural and artificial flavorings, gum tragacanth, titanium dioxide, glycerine, cellulose gum, modified corn starch, potassium sorbate, acetic acid and color.

Since I am not sure what some of these things are I cannot speak to the vegetarian aspect although at first glance (to me anyway) it appears it may pass for vegetarian.

cake-angel Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:06am
post #9 of 17

Just found some more info on their website. I think this means it is vegetarian although they didn't use that word.

Zero grams trans fats, Zero grams Cholesterol (View our Nutrition Label)
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free
***Contains no animal-derived ingredients.
Certified Kosher Pareve (View our Kosher Certificate)
Made in the USA

bizatchgirl Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 17

Thank you Kathik and Cake Angel!

kermitncupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kermitncupcake Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:14pm
post #11 of 17

Yep, the satin ice should be vegan friendly. Totally off the topic, but I buy my kids the flavoured Agar Agar cups.They prefer them over normal jelly

DecorateMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecorateMe Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:16pm
post #12 of 17

I use only Kosher fondant that I make myself.
I use a fish-based gelatin, so depends on whether that is acceptable. It is also possible to buy kosher marshmallows in most kosher stores.

Good Luck!
Sharon

veghed Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:14pm
post #13 of 17

I knew the SI was vegan, but I wanted to avoid it because I read in another thread that some decorators have been having trouble with it lately. Since I am new at this, I didn't want to create any extra problems.

The other is the cost. If I can make a good fondant and save a few bucks, then I want to do that.

Agar agar is sometimes used to make vegan cheeses to give them melt and stretch. So, I can see it giving you problems. It is also seriously expensive.

I know there are vegetarian-type gelatin products out there, I was hoping that someone here had used them. I started a fondant thread in vegetarian forum that I visit, so maybe someone there can steer me in the right direction.

BTW

Gelatin and skeleton rhyme for a reason as gelatin is derived partly from cattle bones, or so I've read.

veghed Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:01pm
post #14 of 17

Here is a recipe I found. What do you guys think of it? How 'bout the taste? Seems like it would just be too sugary? (I've only ever eaten MMF)

Some else said she uses a similar recipe, but it had glycerine, which I only have a vague idea as to what that is.

Fondant
Category: Desserts - Cakes

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Serves:

Ingredients:
-----------------------------------------------------

1/3 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup hot water
3.5 pounds powdered sugar
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract (optional)

Instructions:

Mix the powdered sugar with the hot water, corn syrup and clear vanilla extract

Mix the powdered sugar in a cup at a time until the mixture resembles very stiff play-doh.

It will be somewhat dry to the touch and not stick to dry hands.

Additional comments:

I highly suggest using a stand mixer with dough hooks to make this. I didn't even try using my hand mixer for this because the end result is a very tough, thick dough that will be hard to mix. If you use vanilla extract or some other flavoring, be sure that it is clear because even a small amount of dark extracts will discolor the fondant.

To use fondant, roll it out thinly. Coat the cake with a thin layer of frosting and lay the fondant over the cake. Smooth out the fondant gently. fondant can also be rolled out and cut into shapes with cookie cutters.

To color, use decorator gel colorings- liquid will not work. Knead the fondant with the color gel until a uniform color appears.

Fondant is pure sugar, so while it looks pretty on cakes, it doesn't taste all that good. Most store bought fondant is vegan, but has preservatives and is pretty expensive for what it actually is. I'm not entirely sure how much this recipe yields, but the rule of thumb seems to be that 1.5 pounds of fondant will cover an eight inch two layer cake as well as the decorations for the cake.

cake-angel Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:16am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by veghed

Here is a recipe I found. What do you guys think of it? How 'bout the taste? Seems like it would just be too sugary? (I've only ever eaten MMF)

Some else said she uses a similar recipe, but it had glycerine, which I only have a vague idea as to what that is.

Fondant
Category: Desserts - Cakes

This recipe is suitable for a: vegetarian/vegan diet

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Serves:

Ingredients:

1/3 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup hot water
3.5 pounds powdered sugar
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract (optional)

If you take the gelatin out of Toba Garett's fondant recipe this is what you have :
1 tsp lemon, almond or orange extract
1/2 c (6 oz or 168 g) light corn syrup
1 Tbsp glycerin (optional)
up to 2 lbs (908 g) 10X confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp white vegetable shortening

Your recipe is higher in sugar but that would be because of the added water. Toba's uses 1/4 cup cold water to dissolve the gelatin in so overall less water. I haven't tried imaking this recipe without gelatin but it seems similar to what they have posted above. In Toba's recipe the gelatin helps to add some elasticity to the fondant and the glycerin makes it easier to roll out and prevents it from drying too fast. Making fondant without gelatin or glycerin could work but may be a bit different to work with.

veghed Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:27am
post #16 of 17

Thanks Cake-Angel.

I do not know who Toba Garett is, but I am assuming someone who is quite in the know. Where would I find the recipe that you were just talking about?

How much agar did you use when you made it? I think I will go to Whole Foods tomorrow and see what gelatin-type product they have.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:49pm
post #17 of 17

She is the author of a lot of books. I love her books.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%