Should I Open A Bakery?

Business By ameliasam Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 7:55am by mrsc808

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:37am
post #31 of 69

I agree with all the advice so far! Also, I would try not to use the plastic faces, hands, and feet, like on the snowman. I know lots of grocery stores use those, but I don't think you will find any cake shops using them. When people come to a bakery/specialty cake shop, they expect to find a cut above what they see at the grocery store. (Although sometimes they don't want to pay for it. icon_razz.gif ) Hope that didn't sound too harsh, just wanted to offer some more friendly advice! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

mariana7842731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariana7842731 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:46pm
post #32 of 69

i disagree. anyone can be a proffessional just by using the Cricut. don't need no other skills than that.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:48pm
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariana7842731

i disagree. anyone can be a proffessional just by using the . don't need no other skills than that.

There is so much wrong with tha t statement I don't even know where to start icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

mariana7842731 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:51pm
post #34 of 69

turn on ur sarcasm detecter. then go read it again.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:52pm
post #35 of 69
Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:59pm
post #36 of 69

No I got the sarcasm.

But IMO when you have a poster that is asking if they should open a bakery who's quality of work obviously is not up to a professional level, then I don't think that's a particularly helpful response.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:17pm
post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

:

Although your "sarcasm" about the cricut is funny...I agree that it isn't "helpful" to this thread.

mariana7842731 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:58pm
post #38 of 69

yah, cause no one ever posts anything that isn't 100% helpful. here's my most helpful piece of advice. practice much much more, then think about the possibility of opening a bakery

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:19pm
post #39 of 69

I agree with pretty much everyone's advice. Yes it seems harsh but it's reality. To open a bakery you MUST have basic cake icing/decorating skills down (icing, leveling, filling, torting, borders), not to mention fondant, sugar flowers, stacked cakes, piping skills, gumpaste figures, topsy turvy, 3d cakes etc. What if someone came into your shop and wanted a cake with all the bells & whistles and you knew you couldn't do it?
Everyone starts somewhere, I have actually seen the progression of CCers (Tamivo comes to mind) cakes from their first page to their last & been amazed at the improvement.
You also have to consider the business side of things, it's not just about decorating cakes for a living.
HTH & good luck to you whatever you decide to do!

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm
post #40 of 69

Since you asked, you are not there yet. But if you REALLY want it, then practice and you will have it.

Dolledupcakes Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #41 of 69

Maybe invest in yourself. Take some classes. It wouldnt hurt.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:29pm
post #42 of 69

As someone who ACTUALLY owns a bakery, here is my advice. Every single cake on Cake Wrecks was made by a "professional", and I just saw Buddy make a cake with the crazy plastic clown heads on Cake Boss. So, the quality of your decorating is the amongst the last things you need to be thinking about if you are going to open a bakery. You need to think about the market demographics in your area, you need to look at your investments and cash on hand to see if you can survive for two years with zero net income from an 80 hour weeks worth of work, and you need to make sure you have 6 months of your total living expenses in cash on hand. Do you have good credit so you can get a merchant account and take credit cards? Oh, and do you happen to also have the 50 to 500 thousand dollars it'll take to open a commercially viable bakery?

Littlecakes makes most of her money doing quite simple little cakes, and she does 25 on some days. Do you want that kind of bakery ? Margaret Braun does 3 $2500 dollar cakes a month. Do you want to do that instead ? Will your market support that ? Are you going to do custom orders only, or have a walk-in retail space ?

This is the business forum, and as such, someone should be giving you good business advice, and they are not. 85 percent of your time as a business owner is spent doing things other than producing cake. You have loads of accounting, marketing, legal, and other work that will keep you out of the kitchen.

When you can answer those questions is when you are ready to think about opening a bakery. You can always hire a decorator.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:18pm
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

As someone who ACTUALLY owns a bakery, here is my advice. Every single cake on Cake Wrecks was made by a "professional", and I just saw Buddy make a cake with the crazy plastic clown heads on . So, the quality of your decorating is the amongst the last things you need to be thinking about if you are going to open a bakery. You need to think about the market demographics in your area, you need to look at your investments and cash on hand to see if you can survive for two years with zero net income from an 80 hour weeks worth of work, and you need to make sure you have 6 months of your total living expenses in cash on hand. Do you have good credit so you can get a merchant account and take credit cards? Oh, and do you happen to also have the 50 to 500 thousand dollars it'll take to open a commercially viable bakery?

Littlecakes makes most of her money doing quite simple little cakes, and she does 25 on some days. Do you want that kind of bakery ? Margaret Braun does 3 $2500 dollar cakes a month. Do you want to do that instead ? Will your market support that ? Are you going to do custom orders only, or have a walk-in retail space ?

This is the business forum, and as such, someone should be giving you good business advice, and they are not. 85 percent of your time as a business owner is spent doing things other than producing cake. You have loads of accounting, marketing, legal, and other work that will keep you out of the kitchen.

When you can answer those questions is when you are ready to think about opening a bakery. You can always hire a decorator.

I love this advice!

mariana7842731 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:20pm
post #44 of 69

its about the only sensible advice ive seen lately

Dolledupcakes Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:29pm
post #45 of 69

VERY GOOD ADVICE, I AGREE.

BUT...

SHE ASKED THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliasam

I would like to know if my cake are good enough to open a bakery. icon_redface.gif

mariana7842731 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:31pm
post #46 of 69

then no.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:07pm
post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolledupcakes

BUT...

SHE ASKED THIS

Quote:

I would like to know if my cake are good enough to open a bakery. icon_redface.gif

The OP also asked the question of those of us who OWN BAKERIES, and as far as I can tell, I am the only bakery owner that replied. Being a bakery owner is a different job than being a cake decorator, and your skill is a decorator is only barely relevant to the question " should I open a bakery?"

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:28pm
post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolledupcakes

BUT...

SHE ASKED THIS

Quote:

Exactly. That is very good advice, but the reason all of us cake decorators were responding the way we were is because she asked specifically about her skill as a cake decorator. I agree that there is a whole lot more to opening a bakery than just decorating skill, but we were simply responding to her specific question of skill, not a question of finances, business knowledge, resources, etc. because that's not what she asked.

It's all good advice, is it not? icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:34pm
post #49 of 69

I have to disagree with the comment about fondant cakes being a necessity in a caker's repertoire. The vast majority of full-service bakeries in my immediate area (a NYC suburb) do not offer fondant cakes. They do cakes of all types, including wedding cakes, but do not use fondant. It's buttercream all the way. There is one high-end bakery (that I know of) over the border in Connecticut that is known for its fondant cakes. And I'm the only person I know around here that likes the taste of fondant.
If a caker can master buttercream (or fondant), he or she doesn't necessarily have to master both to own a bakery. But mastery of one or the other is essential.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:40pm
post #50 of 69

I think the point being made that there's way more to running a bakery than whether your cakes are "good enough" is the most important piece of advice on here. It's fun to think about opening a bakery, but unless you have a real idea about what that entails, it's pointless to ask opinions. Like snarkybaker said, you can always hire a decorator.

Maybe the question would be whether the OP should open a bakery or get a license to sell cakes on her own from home. That can be decided if she does get the information about what running a bakery involves, and since I for one don't run a bakery I wouldn't be able to give her advice on that. She could, however, get the information from someone who does own a bakery, then make a more educated decision with that information. If a bakery owner does offer that advice, maybe we shouldn't be slamming them for it, but learning from it.

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:56pm
post #51 of 69
Quote:

I would like to know if my cake are good enough to open a bakery.

no

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:02am
post #52 of 69

This seems to be a trend. Someone offers honest real advice and is slapped for not sticking on point to the OP's question or topic. Sorry but conversations in real life meander all about topics. This is real information, what is so wrong with offering pertinent valid info that directly correlates with the topic at hand. Information like that from someone that knowledgeable should really be taken and you should say thank you for it- not, " that's not what the OP asked." I am beginning to thing all the people in here want to hear is what will make them feel good right now. That business info would help form a successful business plan which if followed would make someone a success... and in the long run feel great.
So I suppose if someone asks if it rained today, no one else could offer anything about sunshine or snow because it isn't what the OP asked for. Only answer if it pertains to rain... Really?

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:04am
post #53 of 69

I don't have abakery or a professional cake shoppe . I only so cakes for friends and family.Looking at your photos I would say that you need to practice practice practice. take a class or two study Sugared DVD .. when people are paying for cakes they expect a very professional result and your cakes are not quite there just yet . Not being overly critical, just honest , as I too am still trying to improve my skills. Also as stated in other posts, opening a bakery is multi faceted . you also have to have a strong business sense , sales ability, etc. Just keep up the good work and you will get there . If cake decorating is truly your passion you will work hard at it until you have perfected this skill.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:06am
post #54 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I think the point being made that there's way more to running a bakery than whether your cakes are "good enough" is the most important piece of advice on here. It's fun to think about opening a bakery, but unless you have a real idea about what that entails, it's pointless to ask opinions. Like snarkybaker said, you can always hire a decorator.

Maybe the question would be whether the OP should open a bakery or get a license to sell cakes on her own from home. That can be decided if she does get the information about what running a bakery involves, and since I for one don't run a bakery I wouldn't be able to give her advice on that. She could, however, get the information from someone who does own a bakery, then make a more educated decision with that information. If a bakery owner does offer that advice, maybe we shouldn't be slamming them for it, but learning from it.

I think we're arguing over semantics now. icon_wink.gif Bakery, home bakery, license to sell from her home, etc. Whether she was originally asking if she should start a "cake decorating business", or a "bakery" makes a huge difference in what responses are appropriate I guess.

I don't know about everyone else, but I wasn't trying to slam anyone, just trying to explain why we responded the way we did. The advice she gave about actually owning a bakery was very good, and no one should go blindly into a venture like that, I think we can all agree on that point. But does that mean that those of us who don't own a bakery can't offer some friendly advice as well as those of us who do? icon_smile.gif

cakesmith_duane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmith_duane Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:18am
post #55 of 69

This coming from someone who has attempted to get a business rolling for the past few months....IT IS VERY DIFFICULT. Make sure you have the time and $$$$....I have placed ads, commercials created and run on cable and have had a HE|| of a time getting people onboard....

If you look at my cakes....some have said they are mindblowing, others seem to enjoy them...and yes they taste good....so it doesn't really matter how awesome your cakes are...it ALL depends on where you are, what you charge, and what the people in your area are buying. If they only buy supermarket cakes....then you are going to have a heck of a time...

You need to do alot of research before you even try to open a biz....I am just trying to save you time, money and alot of nights staring at the ceiling swearing.....sorry, the truth hurts sometimes....it's not an easy sell.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:15am
post #56 of 69

Duane - Wow. You've given us a new perspective. Your cakes are fabulous...you shouldn't even have to worry about drumming up business. And yet you do. You make a very good point about knowing your market; what people are willing to pay. Thnk you for your input - I personally needed to read it.

As for the way this post has gone - the OP not only asked about her decorating skills but she also titled the post as "should I open a bakery?". I believe she was looking for all around advice. In any case, whether she asked for it or not, we are not constrained by literal examination but also by the spirit of the question. I would like to think all aspects of the bakery business need to be discussed when a broad question is asked.

cakesmith_duane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmith_duane Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:16am
post #57 of 69

I think you should....after you have done some serious research. Everyone loves fresh baked goods...so of course a bakery is always needed. Just make sure you do your homework first. That's all!

Take care and have a great cake day.....cakesmith.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:15am
post #58 of 69

wow you're cakes are AWESOME duane!....to stay in the biz as long as i have, i don't think i could get the prices (around here) that those cakes would and should command.
you need to do a cake challenge huh?
..........................................................................................
you have got to know your market...i gotta make up for it with volume...
they come in my shop all the time wanting a jeep like geoff makes on ace of cakes...thinking it should cost about 75 bucks...ha ha ha.

like snarky said you gotta know what kinda business you wanna do.

pieceofcakeAZ did a very smart post a couple years ago saying if you're wondering if you;re good enough....chances are you are, since most of you time goes to everything else...i was looking, i wish i could find it.....

like i said earlier the peeps at cake love have very limited decorations...and what do they have...5 stores?.....warren must be a brilliant businessman and marketer. ( i mean that in a good way)

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:33am
post #59 of 69

Very true, it's not necessarily all about highly decorated/stylized/themed cakes, it does depend on what kind of business you intend to do!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:46am
post #60 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

pieceofcakeAZ did a very smart post a couple years ago saying if you're wondering if you;re good enough....chances are you are, since most of you time goes to everything else...i was looking, i wish i could find it.....

Here it is:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-50352.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%