Pryex Bowl In Micowave

Decorating By linstead Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 10:54pm by mandyloo

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 13

The other night I wanted to melt some dark chocolate to cover some petzels with so I took out my Pyrex bowl (which I had used a few days earlier for melting some white chocolate) and heated 8 oz of Ghiradelli chocolate for 30 seconds. Took it out and stirred the chocolate - put back in for another 30-40 seconds. Bell dinged and when I opened the door it smelled burned. Took out the bowl and started to stir the chocolate to see if it was burned when suddenly the bowl popped - a chuck of the bowl below off the side (fortunately away from my hand and face) and the entire bowl cracked completely all the way around! Boy was I surprised - Pyrex splinters to so in addition to losing a nice mixing bowl I had to throw 8 oz of nice dark chocolate in the garbage icon_cry.gif I had baked cakes in my Pyrex bows before and had used them for heating chocolate in the microwave before so not sure if the lack of enough wet material in it caused the bowl to overheat so quickly or what. Anyway just wanted to pass this on in case some one else has the same idea. I am just glad it didn't explode in my face.....

12 replies
cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 13

Pyrex is known for their glass dishes exploding and sending glass shards everywhere! I stopped baking with them and only use pyrex containers to serve cool food in..sorry this happened to you. you are very lucky to not have been hurt!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 13

I don't know how old your bowl is, but from what I've recently read, there's a problem with newer Pyrex exploding in ovens and such. Here's a website that has some info.
Scary. Pyrex used to be a name you could trust. I had a casserole dish crack in the oven. It didn't explode, but it was a mess. This was about 4 years ago before I heard all this other stuff.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 13

i've only witnessed this once...but that was when my roommate thought she could use it on a stove instead of a pan...

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 13

...which was double funny because at the time she was in school for aerospace engineering...ya, a rocket scientist.

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 13

metria icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 13

Whoa.........glad to hear that you're OK! That's a scary situation.

I've taken several chocolate classes and have been told to melt chocolate and candy melts in microwave safe PLASTIC bowls--fewer hot spots, so it's kinder to the chocolate when it comes to getting it to temper properly. Now I have another good reason to use the plastic!


ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 13

I've had this happen doing the exact same thing. Mine didn't explode, but when I went to take the bowl out of the microwave it cracked all the way 'round and the bottom half full of melted chocolate was still in the oven while the upper portion came off in my hand.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:17am
post #9 of 13

Thanks for the info - I looked at that link which talks about the material that the bowls are made from. My bowl was 25 years old. I definitely will not try to do this ever again. Nor will I pour boiling water into my Pryex measuring cup!!! I am just still mad I lost two bars of chocolate icon_mad.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 13

Did you happen to set it on something cold or wet?

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 8:11pm
post #11 of 13

Set it on my granite countertop which could have been a bit cool but wasn't ice cold or anything drastic in temp change. I did notice when I had done this previously that the bowl got extremely hot during each melt cycle (much hotter than other glass bowls) so I guess maybe they just can't take the microwave too well.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:41pm
post #12 of 13

wow, I've alwayss used pyrex in the micro or oven... dang... now what am I going to use in the oven to cook in?

seriously? not only do I do my baseballs in a pyrex bowl, my poor hubby is on a diet, and his chicken is baked in a pyrex dish daily. AND at least weekly I make greenbean wraps (wrapped in bacon, with my BBQ rub on them) or jalapeno's wrapped. and that takes well over an hour to get the bacon done..

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 10:54pm
post #13 of 13

icon_sad.gif I'm glad you are okay! I had one explode after I took it out of the oven and it embedded hot glass shard in the linoleum..

Quote by @%username% on %date%