How To Attach Ribbon To A Cake??

Decorating By andyneal331 Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 1:10pm by wpowell4

andyneal331 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andyneal331 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:32am
post #1 of 7

I'm doing a simple and elegant cake for a small wedding. Only a double layer, single tiered cake. The customer wants black ribbon around the cake. I've never done that before, but need to know how to do it.. how to attach the back to keep it still and any precautions or anything I need to take. The cake will be covered in MMF before I put the ribbon on. Also, I'm thinking about using my quilting pattern on the sides and put black dots at each point... Any suggestions or comments?!?!

6 replies
dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:15am
post #2 of 7

Sounds like a beautiful and elegant design. I always secure my ribbons with just a single straight pin (steralized). I think using a dot of buttercream or royal icing would also work well.

Cargen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cargen Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:27am
post #3 of 7

I asked that question on here as well and was told to remember to put wax paper between the ribbon and the cake as the ribbon is not edible. Haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to it.

frosteddreamsbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosteddreamsbakery Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:32am
post #4 of 7

I usually bring a small pastry bag with royal icing in it and put a small dot on the ribbon. Make sure your fondant doesn't have anything on it (where you put the ribbon) such as shortening or piped designs because the grease will show through when the photographer uses a flash.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:39am
post #5 of 7

Yup, I cut a ribbon out of wax paper, put that on the cake (using a dot of buttercream to secure to fondant) and then go over it with the real ribbon and secure that, as well, with a dot of buttercream. This not only keeps the non food safe ribbon from the cake but also makes for easier removal of it at time of cutting AND you don't get grease splotches that mar the ribbon. HTH. Cat

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Yup, I cut a ribbon out of wax paper, put that on the cake (using a dot of buttercream to secure to fondant) and then go over it with the real ribbon and secure that, as well, with a dot of buttercream. This not only keeps the non food safe ribbon from the cake but also makes for easier removal of it at time of cutting AND you don't get grease splotches that mar the ribbon. HTH. Cat

I do this but use royal icing...that way I can secure the ribbon at several points and not have the grease from the buttercream dots soak through the ribbon.

wpowell4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wpowell4 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 7

I tried this once and it worked perfectly. I wipe my ribbon down with a clean towel and let it dry. I use a brush to wipe the area around my cake where the ribbon will be placed on the cake just as you would do if you were placing fondant pieces on your cake. And secure with a pin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%