Walnut Hollow Extruder

Decorating By SandyS Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 7:24pm by luvmysmoother

SandyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyS Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone tried the Walnut Hollow extruder that Michaels sells? I need a good extruder and they have a great coupon this week. Any advice would be appreciated.

5 replies
chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:20am
post #2 of 6

I bought one a while back and just used it yesterday for the first time. I don't have anything to compare it to...but it seemed to work pretty well for me. I washed it really well and before I used it I greased it up with a little bit of crisco. I don't know how the other ones work, but this one has a handle that you turn...kind of annoying, would be easier if it had a push handle?? Anyways, hope that helps a little...

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:33am
post #3 of 6

The twist-top handle is better than the push kind. The most popular one is the Makin's Ultimate Professional but most Michael's dont' carry that any more. I haven't seen the Walnut Creek one but I was chatting with another CCer about this -she had them both in hand and realized that piping tips will fit into the Makin's one; think she said they don't fit in the other one but don't quote me on that icon_wink.gif

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:47am
post #4 of 6

Piping tips in the Makin's? What a brilliant idea! I'm going to have to give that a try the next time I use it!
Thanks!!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 6

It will crease the tip, but it does fit.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 6

I bought the Walnut Hollow one and it worked the first time but your fondant needs to be super soft or the black plastic ring will get stressed out and disintegrate, causing your ropes to get peppered in black plastic - blechicon_sad.gif It's also a pain because the black cover on the extruder turns separately from the metal extruder so you have to really grab onto it hard - I actually had to use my push handle cheapo extruder because it was faster and worked better than the Walnut Hollow oneicon_smile.gif I think I just need to fuss and practice with it more thoughicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%