Sugar Paste Gerbera Daisy

Decorating By huskerfan Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 1:37am by Lita829

huskerfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huskerfan Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 13

What do you charge for sugar paste gerbera daisies? I did a wedding cake with real gerbera daisies but a bride has requested a simular cake but with sugar daisies and I have not a clue what to charge per flower. Any help would be very greatful. Thanks.... icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 13

I recently took the class with Jennifer Dontz, we made the Gerbera as one of the flowers (in my pics) I believe she said she charges anywhere from $8 up, I guess it would also depend on your area and what your bride is willing to pay, where I live I would be lucky to get $6. for them. I took the class for fun, I am just a hobby baker, but they were fun to make.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #3 of 13

If you do a wired, multi-layered gerbera that's dusted and steamed--like Jennifer teaches--yes, no less than $6 each--and they're worth more!!!!

You can "cheat" and do a non-wired one. You can make it as simple or complex as suits you and/or your client---one layer of petals with a painted center, 2 layers of petals with a molded center, dusted or not, steamed or not, dried flat or in a former.

With the plunger cutter, they're so easy and quick, for the short cut gerberas, I add $1-2/per, depending on what I do from the list above.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20409&name=Sunflower,%20Gerbera%20Daisy%20Large%20by%20PME

Rae
LL

huskerfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huskerfan Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:31am
post #4 of 13

Thank you so much....

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 13

Blakes- I love that cake.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 13

what a cool cake! So pretty! How fun would that be to get?
Love it!

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks for the compliments!

It's acutally a "gazing ball" on top of a garden pedestal. It's a dummy and the cake was made for a competition with the theme, "In the Garden".

I'd love to replicate it for my MIL--she loves flowers and the garden--but I'd have to travel 12hrs. by car with it and I'm afraid it would come out looking like a flat tire icon_eek.gif

Rae

BRATTYR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BRATTYR Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 13

i am doing a wedding cake in Aug and the bride wanted gerbera dasiy too. i like the idea of the cutter that Blakes Cakes posted. I am just wondering a saw a demo with the cutter as a start for the flower and then it molded etc. but they used a med cutter, do you think the large one would be better?
thanks for the advice!!

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 13

I'd say it depends on the size of your cake and the number of flowers that you want..........that large cutter produces a flower that's over 2" across when the petals are thinned a bit.

I used both sizes on that ball--it was HUGE--at least 16" in diameter. The smallest flower is a plunger cutter marguerite daisy--you can use that as the small center petals on a multi-layered gerbera.

On cakes, I generally use one size and put fewer flowers on with the large cutter--makes a more dramatic presentation.

JMHO
Rae

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:14pm
post #10 of 13

Very neat cake, Blakescake.

Love that signature line! So true. I'd rather deal with a know-it-all over an ignoramous ANYDAY! I just might learn something.

BRATTYR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BRATTYR Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:01am
post #11 of 13

Thanks Blakes Cakes for the advice!!! it's a three tier square off set cake 12-9-6. and i was just going to use them as accents, so less is more!!
thanks again!!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:11pm
post #12 of 13

What a great cake!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:37am
post #13 of 13

I know that this is off topic....I'm not sure if many people pay attention to the signature lines but I love reading them....so much wisdom. I love your signature lines, JulieMN. So true....so true. Especially the second one.....that is what growing up and maturing is all about. If no one grew up and matured this world would be in BAD (or should I say worse) shape.

Back to gerbera daisies......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%