What Tip And How Is This Ruffle Done

Decorating By goodiegoddess Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 2:55am by LisaMarie86

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:43am
post #1 of 14

Hello,

I want to make this cake for my moms engagement party and have no idea what tip is used or how to do it.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks
LL

13 replies
Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:04am
post #2 of 14

I believe it's Wilton Tip #150 - not sure exactly how to pipe, bottom to top or vice versa.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30E0EE-475A-BAC0-502138B8E73921FD&killnav=1

Check out the link on the Wilton website. The tip looks like a tip 104 (the rose tip) except there isn't a wide & narrow side, all equal. I really love the looks of the cake and can see why you want to make it. It looks delicious.

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:22am
post #3 of 14

Thanks, that might work, just dont know if it needs to be piped on angle.

Anyone

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:38am
post #4 of 14

I'm also really curious to know, it is a beautiful look. I may experiment tomorrow with my 104 (I don't have the other one), ice the cake first and work fast (before the bc crusts to see if it's enough for the ruffle to stick to the sides. It looks like the did a very faint color stripe in the bag. Very pretty, hope someone knows for sure how to do it.

SBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBaker Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:39am
post #5 of 14

I had a student years ago do this cake. I think it was a #150 ruffle. It was from the bottom to the top. Be ready with a lot of icing.

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:00am
post #6 of 14

I just did one like this with the 104 tip... only mine went side to side instead of up and down....I held the wider end of the tip toward the cake

I cant post a pic here because the picture is on another computer but its the most recent in my pictures... a bridal shower cake with birds

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:19am
post #7 of 14

No clue how it was done, but I certainly LOVE the look!!!

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:50am
post #9 of 14

there are instruction if you scroll down

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:37pm
post #10 of 14

Zubia, thanks a lot! Since seeing this post I wanted to do this and the explanation is perfect! and with swiss meringe not bc , thanks again. Off to make the smbc icon_biggrin.gif

zubia Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 14

You are welcome .

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 14

Martha Stewart used a similar technique on this one (it was in the Wedding Cake book too).
It just stops after 2-4 ruffles.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/pale-blue?lpgStart=1¤tslide=9¤tChapter=1#ms-global-breadcrumbs

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:47pm
post #13 of 14

I think this design is gorgeous and I'd love to try it. But I've never made SMBC--just "regular" buttercream (no eggs). Does SMBC have different properties that would make it more suitable for this particular technique?

Thanks in advance!

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by karabeal

I think this design is gorgeous and I'd love to try it. But I've never made SMBC--just "regular" buttercream (no eggs). Does SMBC have different properties that would make it more suitable for this particular technique?

Thanks in advance!

It is a lot lighter and fluffier than buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%