Has Anyone Used Charcoal Petal Dust By Ck?

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 3:47pm by tonedna

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 12

I'm looking for a black petal or luster dust. The only one that I can seem to find is Charcoal petal dust by CK. My issue is that it looks more green than black.

Has anyone used the charcoal petal dust by CK? And knows that it really come out black?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
cylstrial Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 12
jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 12

I had to check my box of colors and yes I have the charcoal by CK. If you are going by the picture on the link...it looks green...in my box, it looks like a very dark gray... I used it on the "sushi" cake I made, especially on the cake board. It took me two coats to get it to be the black...I don't recall seeing green in it.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 12

not petal dust, but have you tried using black cocoa powder for the dust you need?? not sure if it would work, but don't see why it wouldn't. And its a lot cheaper then petal dust.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 12

What about the charcoal in the crystal colors? I haven't used their charcoal yet, but their colors are very vivid and very pretty. They are also completely FDA approved. icon_smile.gif

http://www.sugarpaste.com/colors/colors.htm

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 12

Hi... I needed to update my answer... The petal dust is black, but because I was painting on a larger area and on top of what fondant, it took two coats. Not because of color as much as getting it to look even. That is not the dusts fault...its mine. That was the first time I really tried painting with the petal dust. Something that they told me at Cake Art...sometimes you need to mix petal colors with lemon juice rather than alcohol. (Gold especially...or color the gumpaste/fondant a yellow tint before paining with metallic gold)

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 12

May I asl what are you trying to do? If you are trying to go black are you using a black background? Because even if you diluted if you are painting on white it will not be as even as you might want. I am not sure what you are trying to achieve.
Edna

cylstrial Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone!

Edna - I'm going to be painting a flower design on white fondant. I'll be using black, teal, and gray luster dusts mixed with vodka.

Is there a better way to do it? I thought about just using regular americolor colors and mixing it with vodka.

Thanks!

I'll try to upload a picture.

cylstrial Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 12

Ok - I couldn't upload the picture into the forum's because I'm not good at resizing the pictures to get the pixels right.

So I uploaded it to my pictures. Here's the link. Thanks again for helping!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1709780&done=1

tonedna Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:13am
post #10 of 12

Regular liqui gels will work for that design. It seems they used a stamp too. If you diluted with vodka it will be like the lighter color you see in the picture, just faded. If you use the full color it will be best. In other colors lighter colors, add some white on white to make the color pop put more.

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:22pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Regular liqui gels will work for that design. It seems they used a stamp too. If you diluted with vodka it will be like the lighter color you see in the picture, just faded. If you use the full color it will be best. In other colors lighter colors, add some white on white to make the color pop put more.

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Edna! The cake's for next week, so I just wanted to get all my ducks in a row.

tonedna Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:47pm
post #12 of 12

Good luck with it! Excuse my typing abilities..lol I meant to say pop out more.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%