Gum Paste Hydrangeas? Without Wires??

Decorating By WickedSweetDebbie Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 3:48am by WickedSweetDebbie

WickedSweetDebbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedSweetDebbie Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:32am
post #1 of 14

I am making a cake for my friend's bridal shower this Saturday with white & yellow daisies and blue hydrangeas. I already bought the hydrangea cutters online, but completely forgot about floral wire!! I don't have time to order any, and I can't find any in the stores around MA. Any suggestions?? I looked online and I found some cakes with what looks like a scoop or mound of frosting covered with gum paste hydrangea cut-outs. It looks pretty easy, but I'm afraid of messing it up, since the flowers would be pretty much ruined once they touch the buttercream frosting. Is there a trick to this? Or is it as easy as it looks? I'd appreciate any ideas/tips you can give me! is there another type of wire I could use? Please help!
LL

13 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:50am
post #2 of 14

Would work for the small mounds - but I don't know about the big puffy ball on top. Can you get some wire from a florist maybe?

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:01am
post #3 of 14

dont you have a hobby lobby or michaels in your area . if not . try your florist ... As far as placing the gumpaste cut outs on a mound of buttrcream, i've dont it withouut any trouble.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:26am
post #4 of 14

hi, no your flowers won,t be ruined . I have made these, using modeling chocolate . Made all my flowers. Let them dry. Used b/c for the mounds. Worked out beautifully. And delicious. the client loved it. don,t have a pic in my photos. But don,t be afraid. Go ahead and make them, so they can set up, etc. hth Made the leaves from modeling chocolate also. so tasty.you could even us rkt for the large mound. cover litely with b/c and place the flowers on.

WickedSweetDebbie Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 14

Icer101-what is "rkt"??? icon_razz.gif

I do have a Michael's (that's where I get all my cake stuff other than online) but they don't have much of a selection, and sometimes don'thave any.

Maybe I'll just make some smaller ones and see if I can get some wire at a florist.

Thanks!!

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSweetDebbie

Icer101-what is "rkt"??? icon_razz.gif

I do have a Michael's (that's where I get all my cake stuff other than online) but they don't have much of a selection, and sometimes don'thave any.

Maybe I'll just make some smaller ones and see if I can get some wire at a florist.

Thanks!!

the floral wire is not in the cake section, they should have lots of different sizes of floral wire for you to select from atleast the 3 different micheals in my area do up here in northern ma and southern nh

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 14

"rkt" = rice krispie treats. If you made the ball from that, you can cover that with icing then stick your flowers on.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 14

Maybe if you call Lorraine's in Hanover they might have floral wire? Might be worth the drive. But I am pretty sure Michale's will have it in the flower section. Or maybe you could buy wire in the beading section and use that?

http://www.lorrainescakesupply.com/

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 14

you can also use jewelry wire. It's in the jewelry/beading section at Michaels under the name of memory wire. Go to the silk.flowers section of Michaels and get your floral tape.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 14

if you're cutters aren't individual petals, you really don't need wires at all to make the hydrangeas (which is why i LOVE making hydrangeas, lol).

and as long as your gumpaste flowers are totally dry, they can sit right on the buttercream without issues. i have tested it up to two and a half days (just a test, not for eating!) and the gumpaste flowers on buttercream were fine. also you cannot cover the cake or it will send moisture into the flowers and then they will ruined.

i am not sure where foxboro is (i am in newburyport) but if you have to have wires, you could try eaton's in hooksett, nh. that probably isn't anywhere near you, but just in case icon_smile.gif.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 14

i forgot to mention that when i road tested the durability of my gumpaste flowers on buttercream, it was not even a crusting buttercream i used, but smbc.
diane

Bela89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bela89 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:02pm
post #12 of 14

Where did you order the Hydrangeas cutter from?

WickedSweetDebbie Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 14

Ahhh rice krispie treats! Duh icon_razz.gif
That is a good idea- but idk if I'll have time...

I just recall my Wilton instructor telling us that Michael's usually didn't have a good selection of floral wire...I did just call the one in Mansfield and they have 22 gauge in silver and green. I was hoping for white, but I'll prob get it anyway! I wish Wilton would sell it! Then I wouldn't have to walk fromone side of the store to the other for my cake stuff icon_lol.gif

I ordered the cutters from Global Sugar Art...and no, they aren't individual petals.

I think I may do the ball/glob of BC thing, but my issue is this-I have to transport the cake...I'd have to do all that at my friend's house, and I have a tendency to be late, and running around at the last second when I'm doing cakes. It never fails! Something ALWAYS goes wrong...I could definitely do it though, and just leave a good HOUR to get it all done. I have to transport double-layers of 8" and 10" cake in my car, and I think it's going to be hot out...*sigh* lol

I haven't made it out to Lorraine's yet, but I plan on it! One of these days...

thank you all!

WickedSweetDebbie Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:48am
post #14 of 14

I went with the RKT method after all, and I was quite pleased!! icon_biggrin.gif
Here was the end result:
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%