How To Get Black Buttercream...

Baking By krae0057 Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 2:31am by krae0057

krae0057 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krae0057 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:07am
post #1 of 7

Hello! I made a batch of chocolate buttercream in hopes that I could color it black. I tried a small amount of it to see how much black coloring it would need. It took a lot more than I was expecting, and did a really good job at staining my entire mouth. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get black buttercream without this problem? I was hoping the chocolate buttercream would take care of it icon_sad.gif

Thanks!

6 replies
elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:20am
post #2 of 7

Americolor makes "Super Black" which takes far less coloring to get a nice rich black, even when you start with white buttercream. It still turns your mouth black though. I haven't found a dark color that doesn't.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:20am
post #3 of 7

In my opinion, Americolor Black is the way to go. It does not change the flavor of the icing. As far as black teeth....I don't have a solution for that!

MissDanaRae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissDanaRae Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:07am
post #4 of 7

Also don't forget it's easier if you start with chocolate frosting. I know it's not always an option but it's something to think about.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:26am
post #5 of 7

I use super black too. But if the entire cake is black icing I airbrush it instead.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 7

Do you have time to buy some at Sam's Club? I bought the red (and hope to buy black) for a cake and it works beautifully.

krae0057 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krae0057 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:31am
post #7 of 7

Hi everyone! Sorry it took me so long to reply. I appreciate all of your help. I actually was using the super black color but still had problems. Oh well, it was for family so I just made the cake brown instead of black icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%