Ideas For Topsy Turvy

Decorating By shanienee Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 3:25am by tastyart

shanienee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanienee Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:28am
post #1 of 4

I will be making my very first topsy turvy for my daugter's graduation this week. She wants chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry for her cake flavors. I was thinking of the following::::dark chocolate cake with BC frosting and raspberry filling, vanilla cake with chocolate BC and almond filling, and for the top, strawberry cake with lemon BC. This is also a practice cake for me. I want to cover it in fondant. Gold (apricot jello)for the bottom, purple (actually got the holiday marshmallows in red, white, and blue) for the middle, and green (lime jello) for the top layer. I haven't decided on a design yet for the layers. I will be using the MMF recipe from CC where you use jello to color and flavor the fondant. Is this clashing anywhere. What would you suggest? As I said, this is my first topsy turvy and it's for my daughter's graduation and also a practice run for a topsy turvy that I need to make in July.

3 replies
sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:43am
post #2 of 4

Sounds great to me! icon_smile.gif

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:11am
post #3 of 4

I just made my first topsy turvy this past weekend and used ganache as filling for two of the tiers. The other tier was buttercream with blueberry preserves and that layer gave me more headaches than I care to admit! The ganached tiers were solid as rocks but the middle tier with the BC slid all over the place. My next topsy turvy will definitely be ganache filling only! Just something to think about! Good luck!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:25am
post #4 of 4

Covering in fondant certainly makes the tiers easier to handle with a topsy turvy. Your plan sounds very delicious. I made a topsy turvy with a mousse filling and covered with fondant and didn't have any problems with stability. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%