Practicing Decorative Icing Without Actually Baking?

Baking By MelissaAnn84 Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm by KHalstead

MelissaAnn84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaAnn84 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I want to practice my piping skills and general cookie decorating, without actually having the expense and work of baking cookies everyday. Does anyone have any ideas of something that is washable that i could just practice deorating so that when i do make cookies, they actually look really good!?

5 replies
FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 6

I would try waxed or parchment paper. We also practiced on a vinyl tablecloth. Just scrape off and reuse the icing. When it gets an ugly color - just make black or brown. Also grab a cheap bag of store cookies and do it on them. You can use them for display - who cares how old they are if you aren't going to eat them! Good Luck!

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:13am
post #3 of 6

How about using precut foam shapes, then you can wash (I hope) the icing off when you're done.

ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 6

This may help .

http://www.karenscookies.net

Decorating tutorial .there is a practice sheet to print out.

ElleW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElleW Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 6

But what's the fun in that? There are no mistakes to eat. That is almost sinful. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 6

Sometimes when I'm messing around with a new design, I will cut a foam plate in the shape of the cookie I need and then practice on it......easy to wipe clean with a damp cloth and start over if necesary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%