Cake Collapsed!

Decorating By tennilley Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 4:12am by frosteddreamsbakery

tennilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tennilley Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:46am
post #1 of 16

I finally had my first cake disaster! It was the worst feeling ever! I had a couple cake orders this week and had to make 48 cupcakes. So, I decide to bake everything a week in advance and freeze the cakes. Well as I'm decorating my 3 tiered topsy turvy cake, I notice its starting to sink in and crack on one side. =( I began to panic! It was already pretty late in the night. I took the second and third tier off and tried to add some more support with another dowel.. Well after completing the cake at 4 am, I shove it in the fridge and pray that it holds. I was please to find that It made it through the night. Unfortunately, it was a pretty warm day today and I had to deliver the cake and hour away. We were about 10 minutes away from our destination and my daughter starts yelling that the cake is falling! I've never cried over a cake until today. I was so embarrassed walking in with this cake. Luckily, it was a friend of mine. But, it's still embarrassing. Apparently, I was suppose to bring the cakes to room temperature before doing the icing and fondant. Why do I always have to learn things the hard way! Another lesson learned.
LL
LL
LL

15 replies
mbasic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbasic Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:55am
post #2 of 16

really cute cake. so sorry this happened to you.

Paradise17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paradise17 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 16

Oh I feel your pain! The exact same thing happened to me this past Sat. with a Grad cake. I cried as well icon_smile.gif Maybe it wasn't the day for Topsy Turvy cakes to survive, lol

Mtownsend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mtownsend Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 16

Just a thought on the red mmf, I make my own and use strawberry marshmallows to get a good base coat and it adds a little flavor. To make black I use chocolate mmf.

CakeCrazy101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrazy101 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:05am
post #5 of 16

I am sorry that happened. Lifes ruff sometimes. We just have to find a way to deal with it. Cute Cake, though!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:33am
post #6 of 16

Mtownsend when you use the colored MM did they leave little pieces in your fondant? Sorry about you cake.

cakesbykerri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykerri Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:19am
post #7 of 16

Beautiful cake....even if it did fall! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:28am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennilley

Apparently, I was suppose to bring the cakes to room temperature before doing the icing and fondant. Why do I always have to learn things the hard way! Another lesson learned.

You rocked it with the decor! Awesome work.

I do not bring my cakes to room temperature before icing & doing the fondanting. Are you equating this with them falling?

There's lots & lots of different ways to do all this stuff. One baker's never ever do is the next baker's I swear by this method.

It appears to me that your issue was in the internal support structure and possibly some of the sculpting.

But wow it's really well done on the decorating end.
I'd like a cake like that.

roweeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roweeena Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:43am
post #9 of 16

It looks like you are off centre or too angled as well... Do you use a centre dowel? Sorry this happened but every accident is a lesson in disguise.

tennilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tennilley Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 16

Well I've made a topsy turvy before and didn't have this issue. I just assumed it collapsed because of the moisture trapped due to it not property defrosting. The cake was super super moist.. I had another cake to make the following day and defrosted it property and was able to sculpt it with no problems. It was off centered though too, that's definitely something i need to work on.. lol.. It was just an all around learning day!

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:30pm
post #11 of 16

My topsy turvy cake caved in 4 hours after I delivered. I advised the girl to keep the cake in a cool room. I delivered the cake in perfect condition. It was standing and there was no sign of disfigure. She emails me monday telling me the cake collapsed. Not my fault though. The girl kept the cake in a warm room.

Sorry this happened to you. Heat is not our friend...

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:34pm
post #12 of 16

I do my TT cold too. I dont think the trouble is coming from that. What kind of cake you had? What kind of filling. Another thing that I am looking is that on the side that collapse the side was very angled and the cake on the top doesnt seem to have help with this. To mee it looks more like a structural situation than a moisture problem.
Edna

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #13 of 16

still an awesome cake! i bet it still tasted great! i had my first cake collapse last weekend. i'm positive it was due to structure (or lack of appropriate structure). it was a coke cake for my MIL and the whole back of my cake collapsed! i was super embarassed!! live and learn my friend, ahhhh live and learn.... icon_cry.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 16

I don't bring to room temp either before frosting and filling. This definitely looks like more of a structural problem. Too much topsy and not enough turvy! At least you have pics before the crash! So sorry for you...but aren't you glad it was for a friend who could understand more? icon_smile.gif

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 5:29pm
post #15 of 16

With more practice you'll get it.

frosteddreamsbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosteddreamsbakery Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:12am
post #16 of 16

Topsy turvy's are tricky. It is best to do them cold but make sure you balance out each angle and have enough internal support. Very cute cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%