How Difficult To Get Bold Colors In Homemade Fondant?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 11:49pm by calicopurr

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:50am
post #1 of 20

I want to make MFF, as I hear great things about it, and it is inexpensive. I have a cake where I will need several different bold, primary colors. I looked at buying the fondarific, but it is way too expensive! How difficult is it to get deep, bold colors in MFF? Thanks for your help.

19 replies
KayMc Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:56am
post #2 of 20

I'm still thinking...., would it be easier to get those bold primary colors in gum paste?

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:11am
post #3 of 20

Add your color to the liquids before you start adding your powdered sugar. It helps a lot. Also if you are using a lot of gel color reduce or leave out the glycerin as the gel colors have glycerin in them. For bold colors like dark red etc you may need to increase the amount of powdered sugar to reach the proper consistancy -- I use the amount the recipes suggests and add more as needed until I reach the correct consistancy to the fondant.

AvaSweetCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AvaSweetCakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:51am
post #4 of 20

I make most of my fondant and color it too. The olny problems that I have run into is with the colors, red, black, and purple. The red and black will start to taste bad due to the amount of color you have to add and the purple always fades. I buy Satin Ice in these colors but the rest I make and have no problem with brightness or intensity. Hope this helps.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:19am
post #5 of 20

I use candy melts, put a bag of candy melts of the color of your choice in the bowl with the mini marshmallows. I got this tip from "grandmaruth" here in CC, and it is what I do all the time.

Lomikesa

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:14am
post #6 of 20

I use Michele Foster's fondant and I always color it after it's made. I don't have any trouble coloring it. I never color it by adding the color to the liquids when I'm making it because I never need that much of just one color. It takes color very well. thumbs_up.gif

The_Puzzler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Puzzler Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:49am
post #7 of 20

I found this helpful:

http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-color-fondant-to-deep-rich-hue.html

I used the candy clay method to make red and black. Worked wonderfully.

KayMc Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 11:18am
post #8 of 20

Puzzler, that's a wonderful site! Thanks for sharing that. I see they use powdered color instead of gel. Is that what most of you do? I've never used the powder, although on their web site, they say it can make the fondant inflexible and difficult to work with.

AvaSweetCakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 20

I use gel colors on fondant and powder on the modeling chocolate. This gel colors will make your fondant softer and I find that adding corn starch by the tsp until it feels like the right consistancy. I like corn starch instead of powdered sugar because you can use less, and it gives is a smooth texture. helps with this.

KayMc Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 20

I didn't know I could add corn starch to it, so thank you! I'll give that a try. Thanks!

AvaSweetCakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 20

Wow, I need to work on my sentence structure! I did just wake up, lol! Glad you understood what I was talking about!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:23pm
post #12 of 20

I am just curious how the companies that sell the vibrant colors get them so vibrant. Anybody else know?

I like the ideas presented here. I am just starting to play with this for my Wilton class. I'm going to try some of the suggestions here to get some good coloring.

nadia0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadia0411 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 20

yes, i use powder color too in equal amounts as gel. Here i got many powder colors with flavors specially red as raspberry/strawberry and black brown as chocolate. It does help alot and MFF takes colors very nicely.

lomikesa Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:07am
post #14 of 20

I got the red in these cakes by using the red candy melts on my MMF, it does not dry the fondant or make it stringy etc..

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1609613

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1586330

I color all my MMF that required deep colors with candy melts.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:25pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomikesa

I got the red in these cakes by using the red candy melts on my MMF, it does not dry the fondant or make it stringy etc..

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1609613

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1586330

I color all my MMF that required deep colors with candy melts.

So you add chocolate candy melts to MMF? How much do you add? To color?

Your cakes are cute! Thanks for sharing.

KayMc Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:45pm
post #16 of 20

It sounds like most people add the color during the making process of fondant, instead of kneading it in after the fondant is made. I guess I need to try both ways and see how it goes. I'm always reluctant to do this, due to the wasting of ingredients, but I guess I need to bite the bullet.

cake-angel Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #17 of 20

I am also curious how you add candy melts to the fondant. Could you explain a little more please! It seems like a great idea.

lomikesa Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:24am
post #18 of 20

Hello everyone,

Here are my instructions:
1. bag Wilton's candy melt (whatever color you choose)
2 tbsp of flavor of your choice (I use 1 butter and 1 vanilla)
2 tbsp water
16 oz of the best brand of mini marshmallows (it really makes a difference!)
2 lb of confectioner sugar
1/2 cup of shortening
Grease a large glass bowl, your kitchen aid bowl and the hook attachment I also grease the scraper I use for mixing.
Put the entire bag of candy melts, 16 onz of mini marshmallows, the 2 tbsp of flavor and the 2 tbsp of water in the grease glass bowl. microwave for 60 sec, then microwave at 30 secs intervals until the marshmallow look liquify (it is alright to mix in between with a scraper) make sure you keep an eye so it doesn't burn. put about 2 cups of confectioner sugar in the Kitchen aid bowl while the MMM are in the microwave, once its done (please handle with care it is very hot) you are now teady to pour the entire bowl content in the kitchen aid bowl, mix slowly first and them at medium, pour additional sugar at time, I know is ready when the MMf is stuck to the hook, and it doesnt stick to my fingers, take out and knead like you would regular MMF. If you have any questions please PM me. Lomikesa

cake-angel Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:16am
post #19 of 20

Thank you very much for the directions. I will have to give it a try.

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 11:49pm
post #20 of 20

I want to add red candy melts to my fondant to make a bow topper. I need the bow to dry hard, so with the added candy melts, am I making the fondant softer? No one is going to eat the topper of course, so am I wasting yummy fondant and should I just use red gel? The cost of one jar of coloring is the same as a pkg. of candy melts right now. They were buy one, get one free. BOGO at Michael's. OR maybe adding the candy melts will make the fondant easier to work with? What do you think? Advise please.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%