Tylose Doesn't Seem To Be Working

Decorating By whit6 Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 10:38pm by superstar

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:20am
post #1 of 16

So I finally bought some Tylose powder. Previously i had always let fondant pieces dry for a REALLY long time but i always worry it will break because it still doesnt seem hard enough. I was excited to make a topper and had read about 1 tsp to a lb or so and also to add until it felt stiffer. Well, i was only using about a a wad of fondant that was even smaller than a tennis ball and i kept adding and adding and never felt stiffer. Im sure i added way more than what you even put in a full pound and its been over night and still isnt hard. What did i do wrong?

15 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:27am
post #2 of 16

I don't have any luck with my fondant/tylose drying hard. I made a bow for a birthday cake and after 5 days it still wasn't dry. I always use gumpaste now or mix gumpaste with fondant. I think the reason it doesn't work for me is because of the humidity. I don't know where you're located but if your climate is very humid that may be the problem.

whit6 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:33am
post #3 of 16

Im in Phoenix so its very dry here so im not sure what the deal is. Glad its not just me having this problem though because I always read how alot of people do it and it works well so i thought it was just me.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:34am
post #4 of 16

I think it depends on the fondant too...for instance Satin Ice dries much nicer and faster (esp with Tylose) than FondX does.

I mixed FondX with gumpaste and its still not drying as nicely as Satin Ice...but I switched to FondX because it covers cakes nicer.

Can't win! haha.

whit6 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:40am
post #5 of 16

I used MMF so maybe thats why. But out of all those people who say it works im sure at least a few have done it with MMF right? Maybe ill try again

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:56am
post #6 of 16

I use Satin Ice and it works like a charm. I am in FLorida so humidity is high.
I dont do pieces to dry in MMF. I feel is too soft to my taste.
Edna icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:58am
post #7 of 16

My tylose/MMF mixture usually dries rock hard. I will often use that and mix it with some more MMF and it still dries.
I have heard that tylose has a shelf life. It will loose it strength over time. Maybe you got an old pkg.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:02am
post #8 of 16

I have to agree...I use the MMF/tylose mix all the time and never have any issues. The coach handbag and lettering in my photos are from the mmf/tylose mix and it got hard overnight. Is there an expiration for tylose?

whit6 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:18am
post #9 of 16

I checked the bottle and didnt see any dates on it, so who knows how old it is

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:02am
post #10 of 16

Does anyone else think that 1 tsp. per pound is too little? I use way more than that - maybe 1 tsp per 2 oz! Maybe try adding more Tylose to your fondant and see how it works for you.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #11 of 16

Idea for you~I add cornstarch to my fondant for great results getting fondant to dry nice & stiff. I often heat the piece I'm making in my warming drawer at under 150 degrees--don't touch it till it comes to room temp.

I mean tylose is nice but corn starch is cheaper. This I use for everything up to flowers that have to be glued or wired together.

And actually I like the heavily corn starched fondant better for bows & stuff because while it does dry well it also has that little bit of flex from the stretch in the fondant so it is sturdier than gum paste. It's not brittle.

Scott Clark Wooley recommends this as well as other decorators.

There's lots of different ways to do the same things.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 16

Here's a photo --if all goes well-- or a link to a photo--where you can see the chain and the big thick purse handle all dried nicely--see the kinda blump on the handle next to the red accent where I laid it on it's edge in the warming drawer--it kinda relaxed a bit there but it was still fine as a purse handle.

It just gives the fondant more body.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptier

Does anyone else think that 1 tsp. per pound is too little? I use way more than that - maybe 1 tsp per 2 oz! Maybe try adding more Tylose to your fondant and see how it works for you.

I dont add the tylose per teadspoon and pound. I add it by feel. You will feel the consistency change as you add. It will get stiffer.
Keep in mind that after is added, after like 15 minutes it will be even harder. If you added too much, just add more Fondant to it to soften.
Just know that the leftover gets really hard after a few days. So so I rather work with smaller amounts.
Edna icon_smile.gif

whit6 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:53pm
post #14 of 16

If i had to guess id say I ended up adding 3 tsp or so to a ball smaller than a tennis ball so I would think that should have been enough. Using cornstarch sounds interesting.....and cheap too! I will have to try it

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 9:05pm
post #15 of 16

I recommend that you practice with it and see how it does for you before diving into a for real project.

Best to you...

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 10:38pm
post #16 of 16

I use mainly Fondx as it is the only decent one available to me here, I also order black & red Satin Ice from the mainland in smaller quantities, I add Tylose by feel like Edna & don't have a problem with either one drying rock hard. Hope you manage to sort out the problem soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%