How To Smooth A Non-Crusting Frosting?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 4:05am by cakesrock

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 10

I make that to-die-for peanut butter heaven frosting, which is the best I've ever tasted. Problem is that it doesn't crust. How do you get it smooth like a crusting bc? I tried the hot spatula to no avail, but maybe it wasn't hot enough....

9 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 10

No problem to make it crust. A couple of tablespoons of meringue powder stirred into the powder sugar before adding to the wets.
If that is out, use hotter water on the spatula. Or try a really straight bench scraper.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 10

if it's a round cake you're trying to smooth DEFINITELy use a bench scraper!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 10

I agree with KHalstead , bench scraper. I wouldn't add meringue powder!!
I don't ever add that stuff to anything. It has an aftertaste and it isn't necessary. I've never had any trouble getting my buttercream to crust without it. I just wouldn't want to alter the taste of your delicious peanut butter icing. Sounds yummy thumbs_up.gif

KayMc Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 10

It is the best tasting icing I've ever had, frankly. It's from CC, if anyone is interested.

So, Mamawrobin, you think meringue powder leaves an aftertaste? Crap... I was thinking that would be an easy solution. I used the scraper, and did a poor job. I'm quite sure it's my lack of skill, although I have no problem with a crusting bc. sigh....

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

It is the best tasting icing I've ever had, frankly. It's from CC, if anyone is interested.

So, Mamawrobin, you think meringue powder leaves an aftertaste? Crap... I was thinking that would be an easy solution. I used the scraper, and did a poor job. I'm quite sure it's my lack of skill, although I have no problem with a crusting bc. sigh....

Hey, just because I think it leaves an aftertaste don't mean you couldn't try and see for yourself. It may be an "easy solution" and it may not be that bad. You'd know not to do it again if it made it taste bad icon_lol.gif AND if it didn't leave an aftertaste or alter the flavor then you have your problem solved. minniecuppie uses meringue powder so maybe it's just my taste buds. Could be thumbs_up.gif Don't let MY opinion stop you from trying because you just don't really know until you try. Just because I wouldn't do it doesn't mean that you shouldn't. I really don't like using meringue powder. I need to take a poll and see if I'm the only one icon_lol.gif

Please, let us know what you decide to do. What is the name of the recipe? I may want to try it out.

floursifter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floursifter Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 10

I searched for the recipe but could not find it. Could you help by posting it. I probably don't know how to search properly as I am new to all this. Thank you.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 12:15am
post #8 of 10

I use a flat plastic spatula like a bench scraper and a turntable and just keep spiining it around..It takes practice.I never use the hot knife in water etc..Just makes a watery mess on the bottom of the board..JMO icon_smile.gif

KayMc Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 12:32am
post #9 of 10

I guess I was calling it Peanut butter heaven because it tastes so heavenly. It's actually called Peanut butter dream frosting. And, it is both a wonderful dream and heavenly!!!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 4:05am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I use a flat plastic spatula like a bench scraper and a turntable and just keep spiining it around..It takes practice.I never use the hot knife in water etc..Just makes a watery mess on the bottom of the board..JMO icon_smile.gif

I watched Sharon Zambitos video and she keeps a pot of boiling water beside her and heats the spatula or bench scraper, then wipes it off with a towel before smoothing - no watery mess and the utensil stays hot. I had the same watery mess before I watched her video. Yeah Sharon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%