Black Piping On White Fondant... Help!

Decorating By BetsyBaker Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 12:46pm by LisaPeps

BetsyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BetsyBaker Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:58am
post #1 of 6

I have a B+W Damask wedding cake for July and had questions about piping the black icing onto the cake... Royal icing is best for piping onto fondant right?? What's the best way to make TRUE black royal icing?
How far ahead of time can I pipe the detail work onto the cake with out the color bleeding or discoloring..? So many questions!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to help!

5 replies
jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:15am
post #2 of 6

I like to use royal for piping on fondant since it dries hard. That way when it's dry if someone bumps it, it doesn't smudge.

As for color, I think you just have to add a lot of black color until it's the color you want. I'd start with less water in the recipe so that adding all that coloring doesn't change the consistency too much.

zsmith77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zsmith77 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 6

Start with chocolate icing..then you don't have to add so much black.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 6

I didn't know there was a chocolate roayl icing recipe. Use chefmaster liqua gel oclors and you will get black instantly. No bad taste and use very little coloring.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 6

Couldn't you just add a little bit of cocoa subbed for some of the icing sugar for chocolate royal icing? Or does that effect the consistency?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 6

I would like help on this too. I am from the UK so alot of the brands like Americolour and Chefmaster aren't available unless I pay extortionate shipping costs...

Does anybody have a recipe for chocolate royal icing which would still be a good enough consistency for piping?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%