Cookies Spreading (Modified Nfsc)

Baking By newb2 Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm by newb2

newb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newb2 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 23

I just made Khalstead's modified NFSC's for the first time and they are spreading more than I had hoped for (probably about 1/4 inch)....any tips on what I did wrong or how to fix it for the next batch? (They taste great though!)

22 replies
sandy99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy99 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 23

before you bake them, put them in the freezer for a few minutes

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy99

before you bake them, put them in the freezer for a few minutes

Yes, freezer is great..
But also..weight your flour instead of measuring it with a cup..

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 23

I loved the taste of this recipe but they also spread quite a lot for me.

newb2 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:24am
post #5 of 23

I did freeze them before baking but did not weigh ingredients, maybe I'll try that next time. I'm a bit bummed and considering trying another recipe real quick but not sure if I have time.

verono Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:26am
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb2

I did freeze them before baking but did not weigh ingredients, maybe I'll try that next time. I'm a bit bummed and considering trying another recipe real quick but not sure if I have time.

When all the ingredients are mixed and if the dough still sticky.. add a bit more flour (weight it)...So the next time you make it, you won't have any problems.. icon_smile.gif

newb2 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:42am
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by verono

Quote:

When all the ingredients are mixed and if the dough still sticky.. add a bit more flour (weight it)...So the next time you make it, you won't have any problems.. icon_smile.gif

Another stupid question.....the recipe just says "6 cups" how do I know how much that weighs?

verono Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:48am
post #8 of 23
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verono

Quote:

Another stupid question.....the recipe just says "6 cups" how do I know how much that weighs?

140 grams

But you'll know with the time exactly how much flour you'll need ..

In my recipe, it calls for 5 cups.. so it supposed to be 700grams.. but I use 750 grams icon_smile.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:55am
post #9 of 23

I have modified it myself because of this reason..substitute Cake Flour (702 grams) for the regular flour, and decrease the baking powder to 1.5 tsp.

A lawyer in my office says he hasnt ever liked sugar cookies until he tried mine.

newb2 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:31am
post #10 of 23

Thanks for all the suggestions. should I be sifting the flour before weighing? Any thoughts on the modified NFSC vs the "original" NFSC.....I'm wondering if I should try the original recipe tonight.

newb2 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:33am
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

I have modified it myself because of this reason..substitute Cake Flour (702 grams) for the regular flour, and decrease the baking powder to 1.5 tsp.

A lawyer in my office says he hasnt ever liked sugar cookies until he tried mine.

I'd love to try this but I don't have enough cake flour on hand tonight and can't run to the store....maybe next time!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:42am
post #12 of 23

I use NFSC all the time and never have a problem with spreading because I don't put any baking powder in, none, zero, nada and they taste great. no need to even chill them before baking

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:48am
post #13 of 23

Unfortunately, when I make them, they also spread and I did everything that was suggested to me. The flavor of the cookie and the texture were the best but I couldn't handle the spreading. Had to go back to the NFSC today.

Quote:

I just made Khalstead's modified NFSC's for the first time and they are spreading more than I had hoped for (probably about 1/4 inch)....any tips on what I did wrong or how to fix it for the next batch? (They taste great though!)

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:28pm
post #14 of 23

I have 4 favorite sugar cookie recipes. When I first made the modified NFSC and started baking them, I threw the recipe away because there was so much spreading no matter what I did. When I ate the first one of these, I went back and retrieved the recipe because I liked the taste so much better than the original NFSC. I keep batches of all 4 recipes in the freezer but I only use the modified for simple shapes like circles, squares, etc. that I can adjust the fondant to fit the cookies if they have spread a little. Keeping this recipe at 1/4 inch thick helps a lot also.
There are no "stupid" questions!!!! It's the way we have all learned and are still learning to do things. We are lucky to have such a great place to ask and share our ideas.

ElleW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElleW Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:12pm
post #15 of 23

trying not to hijack this thread, but you do you notice an aftertaste with the modified recipe? I only ask because I have a similar recipe for chocolate chip cookies that uses instant pudding. The cookies are very soft and pretty tasty (depending on the pudding flavor I choose), but there is an unmistakable chemically aftertaste to them. I'm thinking it is all the artificial junk in the pudding mix.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:31pm
post #16 of 23

I've tried many different recipes and i always end up going back to the NFSC.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:55pm
post #17 of 23

ElleW - I have never tries this modified NFSC recipe, but I notice that chemically taste with regular instant pudding, so I would bet that's the culprit....

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:56pm
post #18 of 23

I have to say I do notice the background taste with certan kinds of pudding. The last batch I made, I used the coconut pudding mix and didn't notice it as much. If I had to make a choice it would be the original NFSC recipe also.

luv2bake6 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:13pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

Doesn't cake flour produce a softer, crumbier cookie? I'm sure it tastes incredible but is it sturdy enough to withstand the decorating? Hmm, gotta try this. Yum

newb2 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:20am
post #20 of 23

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. I ended up using both the modified recipe and the original NFSC and in all honesty they both spread for me (may be user error). I weighed, refrigerated, froze and everything else that was mentioned. Next step I think I'll take is to double check my oven temps (not sure if that could have something to do with it). I ended up taking both batches to the birthday party after decorating with Antonia's RI. I will admit I was really disappointed with how they LOOKED but they tasted good. I almost threw them out I was so disappointed because they didn't turn out how I imagined them to be but I'm so glad I didn't. I got so many compliments at the party from men and women and people even asked for my business card (Just a hobby, no business card but quite a compliment!) No photos because I was so bummed with how they looked. Thanks again....I'll keep asking "stupid" questions! icon_biggrin.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:28am
post #21 of 23

Maybe you need to add more flour to stablize the cookies better? And leave out the bp as well.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm
post #22 of 23

how thick are you rolling the cookies??? Any thicker than 1/4" and they spread and I have to recut when they come out of the oven......anything 1/4" or less and they spread NONE at all!

Even if you roll these cookies thin, they will still stay soft as long as you take them out of the oven just as the edges begin to brown.

newb2 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

how thick are you rolling the cookies??? Any thicker than 1/4" and they spread and I have to recut when they come out of the oven......anything 1/4" or less and they spread NONE at all!

Even if you roll these cookies thin, they will still stay soft as long as you take them out of the oven just as the edges begin to brown.

I rolled them 1/4" not sure what the problem is but clearly since so many have had such success it must be "user error".....I'll keep trying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%