Oye! Celebrate Wrappers From Michael's

Baking By Jenniferkay Updated 27 Aug 2010 , 5:06pm by floral1210

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:09am
post #1 of 27

I should have known better with all the horror stories of all the other products that have been terrible from the Celebrate it line, but the wrappers were cute...how bad could it be? Well...they smell. I baked them and they smell of chemical. I don't even think I can use them. I'm so annoyed. I baked a full 24 pan for the store tomorrow. Used all my vanilla batter in all the other cakes I have going out this weekend...so aggravating. So FYI...they're cute....but they smell!

26 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 27

I haven't used them, just wondering...has anyone emailed the manufacturer? (don't bother with the store, go straight to the source)

Jenniferkay Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 27

after setting out overnight the smell has disappeared. My DH says he can't taste any chemically taste. I"m leery. I've set the wrappers out so there not in packaging anymore and that has helped. I've bought other cutesy wrappers and have never noticed a smell.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 27

Are you sure they're the kind you bake in? Perhaps you place an already baked cupcake in a regular wrapper inside it?

minicuppie Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:22am
post #5 of 27

Just because the smell has dissipated, doesn't mean your cuppies are safe to eat.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:42am
post #6 of 27

i would agree with cheatize- i don't think i would use them to bake in-for display only (although now you're paying twice for wrappers). and i would definately call or email the manufacturer-maybe it was a bad lot?

minicuppie Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 11:58am
post #7 of 27

I get daily emails from the government office that recalls products you shouldn't be putting in your mouth. The products contain toxic dyes, lead, ...some really bad stuff. Did you know that there is a naturally occurring chemical that makes dye stable ( used for things like baking papers, boxes, paper plates and napkins ) that doesn't make you sick right away, but builds up in your body over the years until one happy day you have colon cancer? I am not a paranoid, just passing on a message alot of people ignore. It is a scary feeling to learn something you have given to your kids for years is being siezed and destroyed at the border. Please don't take a chance. Take them back and let the store know what is going on.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:08pm
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

I get daily emails from the government office that recalls products you shouldn't be putting in your mouth. The products contain toxic dyes, lead, ...some really bad stuff. Did you know that there is a naturally occurring chemical that makes dye stable ( used for things like baking papers, boxes, paper plates and napkins ) that doesn't make you sick right away, but builds up in your body over the years until one happy day you have colon cancer? I am not a paranoid, just passing on a message alot of people ignore. It is a scary feeling to learn something you have given to your kids for years is being siezed and destroyed at the border. Please don't take a chance. Take them back and let the store know what is going on.

I would love to have a link to get these emails. Would you mind sharing it with me? Feel free to PM me.
Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

minicuppie Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 11:58am
post #9 of 27

I trash it after I read it. Go to us.gov and search recalls...there is a whole list you can choose from. The FDA is the food and food related. I get 3-4 emails a week from one of the lists that does children's toys and clothing..every one has hoodies recalls because strings are a strangulation hazard. Ya Think?

sugarcoatedbliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcoatedbliss Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:45pm
post #10 of 27

I agree. I bought two sets of those cupcake liners from Michael's and had the same issue as you......they smell very bad! I was supposed to use them for a child's b-day party but decided against it because the smell was so intense and I wasn't sure that it would go away once put into the oven.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:00am
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcoatedbliss

I agree. I bought two sets of those cupcake liners from Michael's and had the same issue as you......they smell very bad! I was supposed to use them for a child's b-day party but decided against it because the smell was so intense and I wasn't sure that it would go away once put into the oven.

This kind of thing really irks me to no end. We're so bound up in this country by regulations and yet we allow (and I'm making an assumption here) all kinds of crap come through as imports!! I've had smelly liners once and yep, they were imports from China. Who knows what that odor is!!!! icon_mad.gif

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:07am
post #12 of 27

Are these the ones by Wilton? I'm assuming it was since that's about all that Michael's carries. I checked out Wilton's site and they have the regular baking cups (Celebrate) and also wrappers. It seems the wrappers go on after baking to spruce up the cupcake.

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:41am
post #13 of 27

The Celebrate line is Michaels own brand that they have newly introduced into their stores. I have also noticed the smell the few times I used them it won't away and I never thought it could cause any kind of health issues now I am concerned...

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 4:20am
post #14 of 27

I bought the Celebrate "gingham" style liners and used them on banana crumb muffins yesterday and didn't have any strange smells. I would have been so disappointed, because the liners are so cute...but if they had a strange odor I definitely wouldn't feel safe using them.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:04pm
post #15 of 27

I absolutely noticed it to. I thought it was mold at first. I smelled it on several packages I bought. I didn't not want to use them either. I never smelled that on any other brand before. It is really weird. Does anyone think it is truly dangerous?? What should we do?

chrissypie Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:13pm
post #16 of 27

Where do you all live? Just curious to see where to issues are.

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:18pm
post #17 of 27

I am in Alberta Canada and they smell odd here. It does go away after the package has been opened for awhile.

chrissypie Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:42pm
post #18 of 27

I called Michaels main customer service ( not the store) and they had not heard of anything. I told them I had heard about it from people all around as well and they said they would look into it. THey didn't take my information, so I suppose I won't hear back the result. But I at least wanted them to be aware that there are complaints.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 7:28pm
post #19 of 27

I know you called Michaels, but I suggest putting it in writing as well. I find a letter sometimes gets more attention and a response.

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:36pm
post #20 of 27

Are they off-gasing? I mean, if they smell bad right out of the wrapper, but it goes away after being out in the air all night, this I am assuming is off-gasing. We're supposed to do it on many things we use reguarly...

Like when we buy a new fridge, you're supposed to leave its doors open for at least 24 hours to off-gas.

Or, when you buy a new mattress in the plastic, you're supposed to let it sit outside open for it to off-gas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outgassing

Me guesses that these needed to be off-gasing. Maybe it has nothing to do with the cupcake liners themselves, and have everything to do with the packaging. ? Just a thought

Jenniferkay Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:47pm
post #21 of 27

it's kind of bothersome that my cupcake liners would need to "off gas"! I have not bought them since and refuse to buy them again. Even after being out of the package for days I could still smell the chemical. Even if they were to be used as just a decorative addition and not baked in can you imagine the smell it would still leave? No thank you. It's too bad, they're really cute. But all that Celebrate stuff has been second rate and not up to par at all as far as I'm concerned. Just some things you can't cheap out on, you know?

chrissypie Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:02pm
post #22 of 27

Jenniferkay,
out of curiousity, what other celbrate it stuff is bad? I haven't used anything but the cupcake liners and would like to avoid wasting any further money!

Jenniferkay Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:41pm
post #23 of 27

the disposable bags are a big no-no. after the liners and the bags i've stayed away from everything with the celebrate name on it, in fear of inferior product. i'd rather spend the few more $$ and know it won't be busted at 3am when I'm putting together a cake!

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 10:39pm
post #24 of 27

So I needed pretty liners and went to michael's and had the store manager open the bag of celebrate it liners to see if they smelled bad. I told him about the problems that you all had and he said that they haven't had any problems. the liners smelled like printed paper but nothing chemically.

SweetDreamsBoutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsBoutique Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:43pm
post #25 of 27

I'm really curious to go to the store and check it out. Honestly, I want to open a package just to see. This is crazy. I'm sure eventually they will do tests on these products and find that they are all bad and we really shouldn't use them. They did those studies a few years ago about BPA in plastics and baby bottles that I'm sure we all used as kids. Then they expanded it to the metal in canned foods and say you should eat those anymore. Plastic wrap, cheese that comes in prepackaged blocks at the store, ziploc bags, plastic food containers....RIDICULOUS!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 4:54pm
post #26 of 27

i live in massachusetts and mine didn't have a smell, but i will not buy them again because all those cute patterns disappear after baking. they are not grease-proof and they patterns just mutes right down to nothing.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:06pm
post #27 of 27

I bought several varieties of those liners. I have only used the gingham ones, and had none of the problems you mentioned. No smell...no disappearing pattern. They were great! (And...I don't work for Michael's, either! LOL) Now, when I first bought them, I did take them all out of their packages to store in metal cans that I have for my wrappers to keep them in shape, but didn't notice any odor when I opened them, either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%