Can U Eat Gumpaste/fondant?

Decorating By Summer09 Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 6:43am by ceshell

Summer09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Summer09 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 6

Can u eat Gumpaste/fondant? as im making roses and my OH just asked- i said not really they will be hard due to the gumpaste- but how will the custmer knw- surly i cant hand them the cake and say - actually you cant eat the rose's the peppa pig or the other flowers etc

do u use gumpaste? should i make as much as i can just ot of fondant?

also im making roses and peppa pig model now to go on a cake early JULY- is that ok or not- is it too far ahead?

Thank you all for your help.

5 replies
Alery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alery Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 6

They are edible, they just don't taste very good, and that's exactly what I tell my family when they ask. You can definatley make your gumpaste/fondant things now for july, just be prepared for possible fading in color, make sure you keep them out of the light.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:06am
post #3 of 6

I always tell my clients that it's edible but you probably won't want to eat it. thumbs_up.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:18am
post #4 of 6

You can make your flowers now but you might consider dusting them with colour dust. The colour does not fade as quickly and really makes the flowers look more lifelike.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:48am
post #5 of 6

You can make your flowers now but you might consider dusting them with colour dust. The colour does not fade as quickly and really makes the flowers look more lifelike.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 6:43am
post #6 of 6

I would just tell em the truth. "Everything's edible! Although you will find many of the decorations quite hard." Some people just get a kick out of trying to eat the things, others want to keep them...whatever. If it's edible, it's edible.

And I agree: if you want to make the items now, GO FOR IT. Just store away from light, as mentioned, and you won't get any fading. If you want them to stay nice and dry, I'd recommend a cardboard box, so that air can circulate through it. Anything you want to remain soft (for eating) can go in an airtight container.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%