Client Took Credit For My Cake!

Decorating By LindieLu Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 2:54am by DH2008

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:29pm
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Wow, guys. I get $36 for a 6" round.

I don't even sell them by themselves...unless I sell an 8" "tasting cake" for $25 which is just cake, filling, and homestyle iced.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 9:33pm
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I've had someone else tell me this happened to them (similar anyway) so they started putting their business card on the cake board with a piece of clear *something* on top to keep from contaminating the cake (saran? contact paper? can't remember, sorry) so if that person ever tried to claim credit again... BUSTED! Apparently she got a VERY angry call from the customer who 'made' the cake when they cut into it and found the card! hehehe. Serves her right! icon_twisted.gif

Oh is that funny!! Good thing I wasn't drinking something or my computer would need a new keyboard! icon_lol.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:03pm
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsmommee

I made over $12/hour in 1998 at a Wal-Mart store as a decorator, so I don't think I am charging too much per hour.

Really??? icon_surprised.gif I know this is very poor taste and unprofessional, but here goes. I'm getting paid almost $13 an hour at Sam's Club right now! And in my opinion, the work load is getting ridiculous. I mean, I know it's a grocery store and they're super cheap and all our cake and frosting is made and colored already, but still. There's only so much a human body can do in an 8 hour shift. Actually, if I took all the breaks I was supposed to be taking, that 8 hour shift would turn into a 7 hour work shift. But then they're clean up and customer service to deal with too. So really about 6-6.5 hours of decorating time.

There's a Costco moving in to the next town to ours in December. I just wish they were already open because they would take some orders from us! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:21pm
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

I'm with KHalstead. I wouldn't care if a client claimed one of my cakes as their own. They paid for it, so they can do what they want with it.

Totally off topic, but KHalstead, I'm flabbergasted that you only charge $20 for an 8-inch cake!!!!! WHAT!!!!! Please no offense, but how do you make any money whatsoever at that price?

I just raised my prices to $1.50/serv. for 4" tall individual cakes....and would you believe 18 customers already have said, "thanks anyhow" Oh well................I need a break! lol I've only got 20 cakes going this week, plus 10 cupcake bouquets and 10 dozen cookies.

I was charging $1.00/serv. and considered an 8" to be 20 servings..however I've also recently ammended my serving chart to reflect wilton's so now it's $1.50/serv. and 24 servings so it went from $20 to $36 and nobody will touch em' now....but I'm ok with that......like I said, I could use the break.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:25pm
post #35 of 43

oh by the way, the local bakery sells an 8" round for $5.99!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:07am
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

oh by the way, the local bakery sells an 8" round for $5.99!!

That's the problem around here as well. When that's the price that folks are use to paying, $25.00 seems like a rip-off to them. icon_lol.gif

amycapen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycapen Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:48am
post #37 of 43

I'm sorry that happened to you!

I have had this happen to me as well, and it stinks. I made a cake for a "friend", only to find out that she had opened up her own "bakery" and there was my cake, first photo on her website. She got more $$ for the cake than I charged her because I gave her a decent discount. Needless to say, we weren't friends after that!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 1:53am
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I've had someone else tell me this happened to them (similar anyway) so they started putting their business card on the cake board with a piece of clear *something* on top to keep from contaminating the cake (saran? contact paper? can't remember, sorry) so if that person ever tried to claim credit again... BUSTED! Apparently she got a VERY angry call from the customer who 'made' the cake when they cut into it and found the card! hehehe. Serves her right! icon_twisted.gif

May have been me. I posted about that awhile back.

We went and got large cards and put them on all of our cakes boards. "Thank you for your business, you have earned "X% off your next order. Then we put our shop name on them and each owner signed it. We then put contact paper over them. These bad boys were neon, you couldn't miss that thank you card even if you were blind.

Well he came and got his next cake and when he walked out we died laughing.

24 hours later he was in our shop red with anger and screaming. The guy could barely talk he was so mad.

Best business decision we ever made.

LindieLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindieLu Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:39am
post #39 of 43

I really like the idea of the business card on the cake board... that may be something I will eventually do. As far as my coworker... she still doesn't seem to think that it was a big deal claiming it... she did say though that if people ask her to make a cake that she will refer them to me. But... why would you lie to begin with? We are friends on facebook, so I when I uploaded the picture of the cake, I tagged her... so her friends on there will see that I tagged her in that photo and wonder who the heck this Linda chick is and why in the world does she have a picture of the cake? LOL

Anyways.. I uploaded the picture to my gallery but I have no idea how to insert it into a post so here's the link to the cake that I made. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1703531.html

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:07pm
post #40 of 43

Your cake is very nice. You will definitely have her friends scratching their heads when you put your picture on facebook!!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:10pm
post #41 of 43

Next time charge her double or triple for the Naming rights icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #42 of 43

Carolynlovescake, I just lost control of bodily functions reading your signature line comment about OCD!! TOOOO hilarious! But I do remember reading that story initially and "YES!" that had to be you I was speaking of. That is the funniest story just because the customer wigged out so badly and you hadn't done ANYTHING wrong! In fact, you were being SMART about it.

And WOW... Leah... noy that I doubt in ANY way that you are worth that much money, but I am SOOOO jealous! I'm guessing you're in a slightly larger city than me! Hehehe, my huge town of 500 people! Most of my customers are from the surrounding cities. I mean, I have some locals, but most of them are too durn cheap to pay my prices, which aren't that bad. But like so many other people, I've decided I'd rather have less work for more money. If people don't want to pay my prices, they know where WalMart is, and I don't begrudge them ONE SECOND! That's just more leisure time for me. Wait, what's leisure time? I forget now! icon_cry.gif

DH2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DH2008 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #43 of 43

Seriously???!!!!! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif I'm speachless. It's amazing to me what kind of people exist in this world. But, what goes around comes around. What a tapedshut.gif !!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%