Help On Covering A Cake With Fondant... Pleassssseeeeeee

Decorating By kaela112 Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 1:49am by crazyladybaker

kaela112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaela112 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:14am
post #1 of 3

hi everyone! im a newbie in baking and cake decorating, and i want to ask everyone what kind of cake do you usually use for tiered cakes or cakes that will be covered with fondant? and for example if im using chocolate frosting, should i use chocolate frosting for the whole cake or just in between the layers and something else in covering the cake then fondant? please help! i want to make a cake for my mom's 55th birthday on september and i want to practice early icon_wink.gif

thank you guys!!!

2 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:36am
post #2 of 3

The WASC cake is what I usually use, in white or chocolate. The recipe is on this site. You can use buttercream to cover your cake under the fondant, smooth the buttercream as much as you can, this will help get a smooth fondant cover. If you're making a tiered cake, you'll probably need some sort of support system, bubble tea straws, dowels or SPF. Lots of things to consider and you came to the right place for help. Everybody on this site is very helpful and knowledgeable.
Good luck!

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:49am
post #3 of 3

Most of the time I use the WASC for this type of project. The cake is delicious and easy to work with. I have used all kinds of fillings but most of the time use Sugarshacks butter cream which is on this site as well.

So far I have used only dowels but my big cake coming up in two weeks will be supported with SPS.

Hope that helps.

There is tons of information on this site. Take a while and browse and read. You will be shocked at all the great tips you will pick up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%