How To Assemble This Beautiful Cake?!

Decorating By KTA0586 Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 10:53pm by Occther

KTA0586 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTA0586 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 19

Hello all!!!!
I am making a wedding cake next week and desperately need some advice on how to assemble it properly.
The bride and groom sent me a picture (see link below) of what the cake needs to look like.
My question is how to create space between each tier so that the citrus fruits fit properly between each tier? The bride said that they are going to provide smaller size lemons, limes and cuties (small oranges) for the cake. I do have 3 inch separators, but I did a trial run and those create too much space between each tier.
I was thinking of using thick heavy duty straws to put into each cake and then just cut them at whatever height that the fruits are when sitting on the cake?!

To look at the cake, click the link below!
http://www.maisiefantaisie.co.uk/citrus-fruit-wedding-cake.html

Any help would be MUCH aprecaited!!!

18 replies
jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 19

Get those pillars that you can cut down if you need to and then use separator plates.

Something like this:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E31469D-475A-BAC0-5B36A499A89FEA3B&fid=63EB9E14-475A-BAC0-520E6723DA1F2747

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 19

That looks like it is probably got a center support. Possibly pvc that you could cut to size.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 19

i'm just wondering how the dang fruit doesn't roll off!!! are they toothpicked in?

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 19

How about trying styrofoam or cut several layers of thick foam board, glued together and covered with white contact paper or even white freezer paper. Then you could glue the smaller square under the each square holding the cake tier. Use bubble straws or dowel in the cake under the smaller square. You would definitely want to stabilize with a center dowel. (Hope that makes sense. I can envision it - just can't explain it.)

KTA0586 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:29am
post #6 of 19

Thank you all so much! These are all great ideas. I did think about using the styrofoam and will probably end up doing that... I think that sounds like the most stable way icon_smile.gif
Much appreciated!!! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:49am
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTA0586

Thank you all so much! These are all great ideas. I did think about using the styrofoam and will probably end up doing that... I think that sounds like the most stable way icon_smile.gif
Much appreciated!!! icon_smile.gif

I agree. That's the way I would do it. thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 6:03am
post #8 of 19

Do you think the fruit is fake? If you used toothpicks the juice would seep out and ooooh bad....I think they may be plastic?

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:14am
post #9 of 19

If you go for the styrofoam option you can stick the fruit to it with a small amount of icing then it shouldn't go anywhere

cocoasensations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoasensations Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:25am
post #10 of 19

The cake is awesome..I never seen a cake like that in person..Its good that the fruits are intact..

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 8:46am
post #11 of 19

You could just dab a little spot of RI or Melted chocolate onto the cake and sit the fruit on that to stop it from rolling away - if you are using real fruit that is....

Hmmm - if using real fruit - think i would be assembling on site icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 11:52am
post #12 of 19

Hmmm....I'm thinking the fruit is not sitting on the cake or attached to the cake, but rather to the structure in between the cake. There are no indentions on the cake. And over time, the weight of the fruit will leave some kind of impression. If you look carefully at the photo, it looks like the fruit is barely touching the cake. In fact on one of the lemons I think I can see a shadow underneath it.

You are right that poking into it would release the juice. These are either artificial fruit, which is lighter, and/or they are attached somehow to the underlying structure so that it looks like it is sitting on the cake. Possibly by royal icing, or even something stronger seeing how the fruit won't be eaten.

sexy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sexy_baker Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:37pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Hmmm....I'm thinking the fruit is not sitting on the cake or attached to the cake, but rather to the structure in between the cake.

Yes, I agree on this. And it definitely is plastic, those seemingly real plastic fruits. Beautiful cake though, I love how the colors blend...very lively!

KTA0586 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 19

Yeah I cant seem to tell whether the fruit is fake or not? Either way the bride is providing real fruit that she got whole-sale, so we will have to see!! I think I'll just use royal icing and attach the fruit to the styrofoam in the middle so it doesnt roll out.

One more question on this... Im thinking its a good idea to use a center dowel for support. Should I put the dowel all the way through all 4 tiers of the cake? And if so, how do I get the dowel through the cake boards? Im going to be assembling on site, so do I even need a center support?

I just started my business at the beginning of this year so I'm still getting used to the construction of these things!!! icon_smile.gif Thanks again for all your amazing responses!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:52pm
post #15 of 19

I've never had to use a center dowel. From what I have heard, if you are not moving the cake after assembly then you won't need a center dowel. Beautiful cake.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:09pm
post #16 of 19

I agree, the fruit looks life-like but is probably fake, it's too uniform in color and shape.

Attach the fruit to the underside of the upper cake plate/board w/ RI or some type of strong glue (dot?)? If you cut the center supports an 1/8" longer than needed they shouldn't touch/mar the layer below. Due to the oils in citrus skin the RI or glue may not hold, but I've never tried it so...

It will be amazing in person whatever concept you come up with.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 5:24pm
post #17 of 19

The original cake decorator says that it is real fruit. I'm thinking center support system. Her website is loaded with gorgeous cakes!

cakeglitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeglitz Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:04pm
post #18 of 19

I would use 6-7" push in columns with plates and then connect the fruit from end to end with toothpicks to prevent it from rolling off of the boards but I'm thinking like a ring of fruit held together end to end with toothpicks. I agree...it looks like the fruit would leave an indention in the top of the cake if it were real. Good Luck..can't wait to see pics!! icon_smile.gif

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 10:53pm
post #19 of 19

Even though you are assembling on site, I would still be tempted to put a center dowel in it. When I do that, I sharpen the end of the dowel and use a hammer to drive it in. Make sure to take something to cut it off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%