How To Make These Waves?

Decorating By Ramz Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 1:34am by Ramz

Ramz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ramz Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 13

Attached is a picture of a wedding cake that a friend insists on having for his wedding. I tried to talk him out of it but in vain.

I feel I must at least give it a shot. Please give me suggestions on how the waves on the sides can be made. Any ideas on the flowers?
LL

12 replies
Frotusbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frotusbush Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 13

Wow! He dosen`t want much, huh? icon_smile.gif The flowers look like hydrangea blossoms to me with a pearl in the center. The waves...... I think if I were doing this cake I would use fondant to which extra tylose has been added, roll it out in circles, prop it however you want it using paper towels or TP and let it mostly dry. When it is still moveable just a bit I would stack the layers of waves so that all the dips and bumps fit together nicely and then let it dry completely before I added it to the cake.

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 13

I'm new to all this but I would use a 50/50 with gumpaste and invest in pins...lots of pins. As the "waves" start to dry, remove the pins. Any holes (small as they may be...you can fill with matched royal.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 13

That cake is by Marina Sousa of Just Cakes, and somewhere here on Cake Central is a post from her describing how she did it. Think she used toothpicks to hold up the 50/50 fondant/gumpaste waves, but I can't seem to find that post to give you a link icon_redface.gif .

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 13
ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I think this is the link you're talking about, ibmoser. HTH!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=45216&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Thank you for posting that -- some here on CC just asked me about that thread the other day and I couldn't for the life of me find it! icon_cool.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 13

ShirleyW was one of the most helpful people on CC, you could always rely on Shirley to give you a good answer, I really miss her & I am so sorry she left CC.

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks for the link. That's such a neat cake.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 13

Wow - thanks to all who furnished the link. I'm no super-cyber-sleuth with the search function icon_lol.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:35pm
post #11 of 13

Bobwonderbuns:

I sent you a p.m didn't read that you were quoting JGMB, (thought you were thanking me lol). So I wrote wrote this big o speech saying no problem bout placing the link lol !!!!!

don't I feel dumb lol !!!

Well happy caking . And sorry if I bothered you.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 9:41pm
post #12 of 13

Yes I got it! icon_biggrin.gif No worries, you didn't bother me. Happy Cakin! icon_lol.gif

Ramz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ramz Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:34am
post #13 of 13

It was the first time that I posted something on the forum and was thinking I'd never get a reply. Little did I know how helpful and generous CC'ers are.

Thank you ! Thank you! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%