Is There A Right Contact Paper To Cover The Boards?

Decorating By LuvLyrics Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 12:37pm by LuvLyrics

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:15am
post #1 of 6

I got a contact paper to cover my cake boards, but I am wondering if I need to buy one brand on specific. I wasn't able to cover my wooden board and I haven't try it on anything else. Where do you get your contact paper? I bought mine from the kitchen section at Walmart.

Thanks for any advice...

5 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #2 of 6

Contact paper is not food safe. The plastics have chemicals which can leach out into food. If you cover the board with contact paper, you must cover that with a food safe paper, like cake foil.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 3:27am
post #3 of 6

Hi, I cover my boards in contact paper, but I leave my cake on it's cake board that is the size of the bottom tier. The cake , on a board just sits on decorated cake board. I use the kitchen brand, white and clear if i use deco paper. I think that would be safe, esp cause i dont place cake on deco board untill ready to finish and deliver. I would like to hear others opinion as well~ icon_rolleyes.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 4:02am
post #4 of 6

As long as you have a barrier between what will be eaten and the contact paper, you're fine thumbs_up.gif

As for it not sticking to wood, I had that experience when trying to cover a wooden box for a craft project a long time ago. With the smoothness of the wood, and perhaps the sealant, prevented it from getting a good hold.

I would think that if you make the piece big enough, you could use duct tape on the back of the board to hold the contact paper in place.

Rae

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 6

I used the clear sealing/packing tape on the bottom. It holds well and is thin so no unevenness on the bottom.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your opinions ! I always put a board under my cakes before I place it on the decorated board. I will have to try the tape and a different paper. I wanted to try contact paper b/c I've read of others using it, even Planet Cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%