Baby Birds

Lounge By mightydragon663 Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm by milkmaid42

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 13

Last night DH was cleaning off the deck outside our bedroom, and when he took the hanging chair down, a bird's nest fell off. There were four babies inside. Two of them hopped off the deck to the ground below and two stayed under the nest. icon_sad.gif

We put the nest in a shoe box and found the two babies that had hopped off and put them back in the nest too. Then we left it on the deck near where it had been originally. We weren't sure if the momma would take care of them or not.

This morning, both momma and daddy birds were feeding the babies! and all four seem to be fine! We were so happy to see that! icon_lol.gif

Just thought I would share our feel good moment!

12 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:12pm
post #2 of 13

That is great news!! We had the same thing happen here once - a nest was made in a wreath that hung over our front door. A storm blew it down, I ran out in the storm and gathered up the babies in a shoe box - the nest was GONE. I took one of my little longaberger baskets, lined it with cotton balls, and duct taped it back to the wreath. (looked horrendous!!) BUT - we put the babies back in there, and watched, and sure enough, the momma bird came back!! We were so thrilled....we thought for sure it wouldn't work, but it did. Those babies grew up in a very expensive bird nest! icon_wink.gif

mightydragon663 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 13

LOL! You are a much better person than I am. I'm not sure I would have sacrificed a Longeberger basket for birds. I'm glad they grew up healthy though. It has been kind of cool watching them from the window. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:33am
post #4 of 13

I wouldn't have used a longaberger one, but it was storming sooo bad and the wind was cold, I was just trying to hurry to get somethng to put them in, and that was closest! It was a tiny one though....and it was worth it to save those babies. icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I wouldn't have used a longaberger one, but it was storming sooo bad and the wind was cold, I was just trying to hurry to get somethng to put them in, and that was closest! It was a tiny one though....and it was worth it to save those babies. icon_smile.gif

You're a good person!!

Loucinda Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:06am
post #6 of 13

Thank you....I try to be. icon_smile.gif

We have all kinds of wildlife that come here to live/eat! We have the fattest squirrels in town here, chipmonks, rabbits, LOTS of birds. We enjoy having the little creatures here to watch.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:01am
post #7 of 13

So funny this was posted. I tried to "help" a baby blue jay in my yard today that couldn't fly but only hop. My neighbors cats were eyeing him all day icon_eek.gif and I was worried he be eaten. His mommy and daddy were watching him like hawks (no pun intended) but wouldn't go near him. I took him to a local spca and she made me feel bad and said I should have left him alone and his parents would have cared for him. icon_confused.gif he was unable to fly being eyeballed by a cat for dinner. She said I should have made a make shift nest and put him in it. Now i feel bad icon_cry.gif

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:33am
post #8 of 13

so glad the birds were okay....i have heard that the "if you touch them the mama won't come back" thing is only a myth.

I will share my two bird stories....

A few years ago I heard our lab/chow mix barking endlessly in the back yard and when i looked out the window i noticed he was digging under some leavesall near the fence. I got brave and went out with a stick just sure I was going to poke and find a snake of some sort. Something up under the leaves kept moving and my heart was racing 1000x per second. I finally moved back enough leaves to reveal a poor small bird that was bleeding from the top of it's head (thanks to my stupid dogs attack)....I felt horrible so I called the local wildlife rescue center who met me about 15 minutes away and took the bird to care for it

The second time I had a bird catastrophe i had just opened my front door and then my glass door only to hear a bang so loud I swore I had been shot. After I screamed and jumped I looked down and saw a bird laid out on my front porch....I was sure he was dead. I picked him up and put him in a box and drove him a good 30 minutes to the wildlife rescue center....got there they opened the box and he flew away!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently he was just "stunned" i was told by the 9 year old girl working there who is much more intelligent than I am......lol Now I don't clean my glass door nearly as much icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:35am
post #9 of 13

Don't feel bad, you did what you thought was the right thing for the baby bird.

mightydragon663 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 13

SueW, did the spca people explain how it's parents were supposed to fend off a cat? Jeeze-o-pete! They would have been the second course and dessert. You did what you thought was best under the circumstances. I hate when "experts" make turn a good deed into something terrible. That is totally uncalled for.

The babies left their nest this past weekend. I assume they flew off. They had all their wing feathers and tail feathers and were looking pretty healthy. Boy, did they make a mess of my balcony though. Ick!!!!!

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 13

We once had a small bard owl hit out sliding glass door in our den. We heard the loud smack and there it was lying on the patio by the door. We thought it was dead and brought it in to examine it. We put it on a towel and after a few minutes it began to wake up. We put a laundry basket over it to keep it from flying around the room until it became fully alert and then we let it go outside. It was very pretty and I think my son wanted to keep it in his room. lol.[/quote]

FullMoonRanch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullMoonRanch Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 13

Don't feel bad Sue. You did what you thought was in the best interest of the bird. Once I brought a bird with an injured wing to our local wildlife rescue center. I went back to see if it made it an the lady there was not pleasant. I figured she works with animals for a reason. She doesn't have the personality to work with people! (Not saying all people who work with animals do because they shouldn't work with people. Just the one I met at the rescue center!)

Mightydragon glad the babies did great!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm
post #13 of 13

As a vet tech in an earlier life, I have rehabilitated many animals. One of my favorite memories involved a baby Boat-tailed Grackle I rescued and raised. I released him when he reached maturity. For a year he hung around and it always gave me a thrill to call him. I would see a speck in the distance and shortly after he would cruise in and land on my finger or shoulder. There was no better a feeling of satisfaction than that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%