Mmf Help!!!

Decorating By uniquecreations Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 12:33pm by uniquecreations

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 16

I tried Rhonda's Ultimate Fondant Recipe last night and I tasted it today the taste is awesome but I have some problems it was my first time making it and when I went to roll it out there were little specks in the fondant did I not knead it correctly? Then I made Sugarshack's Buttercream which is also awesome but it will not crust WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG IN BOTH CASES HELP LADIES!!!!!! I have a birthday cake tomorrow Thanks in advance!!!!!

15 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:01am
post #2 of 16

Everyone keeps talking about Sugarshacks frosting but I can't find the recipe.

uniquecreations Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:05am
post #3 of 16

Just go to recipes and type in sugarshack and it the recipe will come up thumbs_up.gif

KatyP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyP Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:15am
post #4 of 16

the first time i made MMF i had specs in mine also. i made another batch this weekend and i was sure to knead it much longer and it worked out a lot better! i also considered sifting my conf. sugar but kneading longer seemed to do the trick icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquecreations

I made Sugarshack's Buttercream which is also awesome but it will not crust WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG IN BOTH CASES HELP LADIES!!!!!! I have a birthday cake tomorrow Thanks in advance!!!!!

Did you refrigerate the buttercream? I cannot get it to crust if I refrigerate. I make Indydebi's recipe but it's a crusting buttercream as well. I iced a cake and put it in the fridge and it would NOT crust. That's the only time I've ever had an issuse with my buttercream not crusting.

What fat to sugar ratio did you use?

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #6 of 16

Is it too humid? My crusting cream cheese frosting that I made the other day took a LONG time to crust over, and I figured it was from the humidity...I could be wrong, though.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #7 of 16

I don't have much luck with crusting buttercream, either, but I live where it's REALLY humid, so that may indeed be the problem. About the fondant, I'm not a person who loves to sift either flour or powdered sugar, but sifting - maybe even two or three times - is a must when you're making home-made fondant. Sugar, and especially powdered sugar, absorbs moisture, so it may have tiny lumps in it if you don't sift. This doesn't matter too much in a dough, which will get beaten in a mixer, but since fondant is basically only mixed and kneaded, it's important to weed out all the little clumps that can form. If you've already made the fondant, there are two things that will help. One is leaving it to ripen several more hours and the other is a WHOLE lot more kneading,

uniquecreations Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:47am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

I made Sugarshack's Buttercream which is also awesome but it will not crust WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG IN BOTH CASES HELP LADIES!!!!!! I have a birthday cake tomorrow Thanks in advance!!!!!

Did you refrigerate the buttercream? I cannot get it to crust if I refrigerate. I make Indydebi's recipe but it's a crusting buttercream as well. I iced a cake and put it in the fridge and it would NOT crust. That's the only time I've ever had an issuse with my buttercream not crusting.

I didn't refrigerate it the first time I made it was fine but the second time this happened and I keep my basement very cool so it wasn't hot or anything. I used 5 cups of hi ratio shortening to 5 cups of PS. Thank You so much all of you for helping me.

uniquecreations Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:48am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

I don't have much luck with crusting buttercream, either, but I live where it's REALLY humid, so that may indeed be the problem. About the fondant, I'm not a person who loves to sift either flour or powdered sugar, but sifting - maybe even two or three times - is a must when you're making home-made fondant. Sugar, and especially powdered sugar, absorbs moisture, so it may have tiny lumps in it if you don't sift. This doesn't matter too much in a dough, which will get beaten in a mixer, but since fondant is basically only mixed and kneaded, it's important to weed out all the little clumps that can form. If you've already made the fondant, there are two things that will help. One is leaving it to ripen several more hours and the other is a WHOLE lot more kneading,

I did not sift the PS at all so that's what I needed to do. Thank You all so much this is such a big help!!!

uniquecreations Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:51am
post #10 of 16

Well ladies I ended up making more buttercream and that's what I wused and just did fondant accents my little cousin loved the cake she came in with her mouth wide open she loved it so all the stress was worth it just ot see her face light up.

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:39am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

I refridgerate my Sugarshack BC all the time and have no problem with it crusting.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:58am
post #12 of 16

I made a batch of fondant with "pimples" in it once. I think it was because I didn't let the marshmallows cool down enough (or I let them get too hot) before I mixed it with the ps. That's the only thing that I can think that I did different.

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:21am
post #13 of 16

I was making several batches of fondant last week and I kneaded the first batch for what seemed like forever. This is always my least favorite part of making a cake, so I figured there has to be a quicker way. I added 2 TBS of water over the marshmallows before putting in the microwave (as instructions called for). As soon as it was melted completely, I added about 3/4 of the 2lb bag of PS and began to stir. The mixture became fairly dry (reminded me of making gumpaste) and then I added 2 more TBS of water and continued to stir and then turned out and began kneading as usual working in the rest of PS. It came together SO much faster. I did the next 3 batches like that and I had very little problem w/ the little PS bumps that typically cause me to have to work the MMF so long.

Kate197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate197 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:50am
post #14 of 16

I made my first ever MMF this week without shortening, just 1lb marshmallow melted with 2tbsp of water then 2lbs of icing sugar. I added half the icing sugar to the marshmallows then poured the other 1lbs on the clean counter. I poured the marshmallow mixture on the pile of icing sugar and kneeded it with my hands, keeping my hands covered in icing sugar all the time. Worked a treat.
LL

uniquecreations Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:33pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by idocakes4fun

I was making several batches of fondant last week and I kneaded the first batch for what seemed like forever. This is always my least favorite part of making a cake, so I figured there has to be a quicker way. I added 2 TBS of water over the marshmallows before putting in the microwave (as instructions called for). As soon as it was melted completely, I added about 3/4 of the 2lb bag of PS and began to stir. The mixture became fairly dry (reminded me of making gumpaste) and then I added 2 more TBS of water and continued to stir and then turned out and began kneading as usual working in the rest of PS. It came together SO much faster. I did the next 3 batches like that and I had very little problem w/ the little PS bumps that typically cause me to have to work the MMF so long.

Thanks for the tip I will have to try it this way anything to make it EASIER LOL!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

uniquecreations Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:33pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate197

I made my first ever MMF this week without shortening, just 1lb marshmallow melted with 2tbsp of water then 2lbs of icing sugar. I added half the icing sugar to the marshmallows then poured the other 1lbs on the clean counter. I poured the marshmallow mixture on the pile of icing sugar and kneeded it with my hands, keeping my hands covered in icing sugar all the time. Worked a treat.

Your cake is really pretty icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%