Fondant Flowers....

Decorating By shirleart Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 4:39am by shirleart

shirleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shirleart Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 6

I know that you can make gumpaste flowers well in advance (months) before using them in the cake design but how far in advance can you do the fondant flowers? I don't want to start making them now and find out they only keep for a short while.

The event is on September 24th and I'm trying to get a schedule of things that need to be done and the time frame they need/can be done.

The fondant flowers are going on cupcakes and the gumpaste will be on the wedding cake.

Will be making the wedding cake, cupcakes, wedding cookies and doing the candy bufffet, in addition to being the mother of the groom. So timing is everything. Not getting stressed just need to schedule time to the very last minute!

(Incidently, I have taken the week of the wedding off) icon_wink.gif

Thanks!
Shirley

5 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 6

If you are using mm fondant it's good for one month. Now Fondarific is supposed to be good for six months and up to one year frozen.

shirleart Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 6

I'm using Satin Ice.....I can freeze the flowers?

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:53am
post #4 of 6

Once you make the flowers they will just keep getting harder and harder as they dry and will last forever as long as the humidity it kept down. If it gets humid they will start to soften up and wilt. Mix the fondant with tylose and they will dry faster and have less problems with humdity. If you are just keeping fondant in the fridge and waiting to make the flowers then the fondant is good for one month but once you make the flowers they will last forever.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:15am
post #5 of 6

Hi, I mainly make fondant flowers. I've had a hard time with gumpaste. For your question, as to how long can you store fondant flowers, I did an experiment with making fondant flowers this past year. I kept pink and white roses done in different mediums, using petal dust, Wilton Color Spray Mist, lemon extract mixed with petal dust and all had Wilton gumtex added to the fondant. The flowers were stored in a stored container, one with some air circulating and 1 container that was airtight, with the flowers wrapped in bubble wrap. The key for storage I found was they need to be in a dry, cool, dark room, all the methods of storage worked. I kept the flowers for a year. I found that the painted flowers faded a bit. A little softerness, but was able to use. All this to tell you, you should be able to start now making your flowers, store in platic containers wrapped in bubble wrap or wired flowers on styrofoam boards in containers in dry, cool, dark rooms. Check periodically to make sure they OK before decorating your cake. Check my photos-Pink fondant roses and roses on a Pink and White dummy cake, these are the same roses 1yr later, and we moved. They traveled well. HTH
Hammy

shirleart Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:39am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for the info! The information was what I was hoping for! I've got a little less than four months and I want to make sure I have everything done before the night of the rehersal dinner.. thumbs_up.gif

All flowers (fondant and gumpaste) will be stored in the basement, away from light, sealed and with the dehumidifier on constantly!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%