Cutting Letters And Messages With Cricut Cake

Decorating By Yum2010 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 2:58am by catlharper

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 10

I HATE piping letters and messages on cakes so I took the plunge and purchased the new cricut cake thinking it would be a huge time and money saver in the long run because of all the fonts and messages offered. However, I have attempted to cut letters and messages several times with no sucess. I've searched CC and followed some tips offered such as letting the fondant/gumpaste harden a while, I've added tylose, I've even put it in the freezer for a while (which worked best), but when it came time to remove the letters from the mat, it was impossible. I am SOOOO frustrated and thinking my investment was a huge waste. Can anyone offer some advice?? I haven't tried the frosting sheets yet. How do you secure these to the mat......Provocraft needs to offer better instructions seriously....I've tried to call and was put on hold for 30 min....I do not have time for that!! HELP!!

9 replies
aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 10

I had a tricky time in the beginning also. I brushed my mat with shortening and froze the fondant, gumpaste for a period of time. I found out that the cuts are much cleaner and dont drag on the fondant when it is a tad thicker.. I did some gumpaste only figures last weekend and rolled them out and froze for about 2 minutes and the cuts were perfect. I prefer using the gumpaste. I tried with MMF and that appeared to be a little too soft.. Also, after you cut the fondant, take your tiny spatula and move the letters to a piece of wax paper and let it air dry for a little while before trying to move it to the cake. That also helped for me...

Maybe others have some suggestions.. HTH April

Yum2010 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks april! I will try that. I have been using MMF so that may be the problem.

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 10

I used the Wilton fondant and it worked well. I rolled it out not too thin, and let it sit out for about 15 minutes before cutting.

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 10

I used the colors wilton fondant and did not work for me at all, I also used wiltons gumpaste and it work a little I am going to try using the white wiltons fondant and see what happens. but I am also getting frustrated but I am taking a free cricut cake demo and see haw this works and whats the best material to use.
good luck

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 10

I till this day have not had any success with my cricut (I know its me not the machine). I just cant get it to work for me (have a personal cricut) I have to keep on trying but is indeed very frustrating icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I have gone thrue the whole threat n nothing , but I know ; I give up easy so I have to try again

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 10

Provcraft sells a little spatula that works GREAT at removing the fondant/gumpaste from the mat. I got mine in Walmart it was less then $5.00

I always freeze it for at least 30 mins. Have your Cricut Cake all set up and ready so that once you take it out of the freezer you can load it and hit cut right away. Also, I found it helps if I dust the top with corn starch right before cutting.

Hope this helps!!!! I know how frustrating it is, looking back I would not have gotten one either.

Yum2010 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:54am
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone!! Ayerim..U and I have alot in common. I know that I prob could get better success if I could just sit and play with it for a while, but I also am impatient.... I have two kids and a full time job so my caking time is very precious and limited. I do not have time to sit there for hours. I bought the cricut to save time not waste it!!! Thanks everyone for all these very helpful suggestions. I have alot of cake orders coming up and I def be giving all of them a try!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:58am
post #10 of 10

I use fondant with tylose mixed in, rolled to the thiness of a dime and then allowed to dry for 12 hours. Then it cuts 1-1/4 inch letters just wonderfully. But drying it is what works for me..if I try to rush it then i have problems but if I roll it out the night before I need it and then use it in the morning it works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%