Heave Big Sigh...dh In Dog House

Lounge By karateka Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 7:07pm by catlharper

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:42am
post #1 of 14

So I spent today making a "peach melba rum" cake. Pureed peaches, brown sugar, caribbean rum. Tastes fantastic, if I do say so myself.

I give my DH a sample. He can't place the flavor, except to say that it's got "booze" in it. Talk about taking the wind out of my sails! icon_confused.gif

Pooh on him. I'm going to slap some cream cheese frosting on it and serve it to my bride this Sunday. Bet SHE likes it.

13 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #2 of 14

SIGH...sometimes men have no editor on their mouths. (((HUGS)))

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:42am
post #3 of 14

that or poor quality taste buds.

---

then again -- just how much rum did you put in it?

(and isn't Caribbean rum stronger than the regular stuff?)

(of course -- is he not a rum drinker and therefore not "up" on its taste?)

(could it be you've grown so accustomed to the taste of rum that you don't really taste it any more?)

(is it possible that peach puree fermented some and gave it an even bigger kick?)

OF COURSE -- this means you MUST immediately send me a LARGE sample for quality control assistance! icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:48am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

OF COURSE -- this means you MUST immediately send me a LARGE sample for quality control assistance! icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

umm. .I second that opinion and I would like some too. icon_lol.gif

My rum cakes are so strong that you can get a contact drunk from the smell. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:14am
post #5 of 14

That sounds devine! Where did you get the recipe? I would love to try a slice of that or the whole cake whichever I stop at. And ignore the hubby bc mine does it all the time to me and I've gotten use to understading that he has no idea about complex flavors!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:15am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

umm. .I second that opinion and I would like some too. icon_lol.gif

My rum cakes are so strong that you can get a contact drunk from the smell. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Please add me to the tasters' list. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

karateka Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 14

Well, Doug, I'll be the first to admit that he doesn't drink, but I thought he'd have enough smarts not to refer to it as "booze". Dork. Oh, and I forgot to tell you this part: He tastes it and says...."It has vanilla in it, right?" Uh....yeah. It has vanilla in it. I say again, dork.

And yes...the rum flavor is prominent, although not overpowering IMO. And I think the peaches are definitely there.

I just made up the recipe. Used pureed peaches and a little rum as the liquid in my recipe. Used one egg and one white. (6in round) A tad of almond extract. Will taste fabu with cream cheese frosting.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

Well, Doug, I'll be the first to admit that he doesn't drink, but I thought he'd have enough smarts not to refer to it as "booze". Dork. Oh, and I forgot to tell you this part: He tastes it and says...."It has vanilla in it, right?" Uh....yeah. It has vanilla in it. I say again, dork.

And yes...the rum flavor is prominent, although not overpowering IMO. And I think the peaches are definitely there.

I just made up the recipe. Used pureed peaches and a little rum as the liquid in my recipe. Used one egg and one white. (6in round) A tad of almond extract. Will taste fabu with cream cheese frosting.

ahem....and I can expect my piece WHEN????

a dork he is but ya gotta luv him (and keeping edumakating his obviously clueless palate)

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 14

Hey, I am in Ohio, and I would LOVE to sample it! icon_biggrin.gif

I LOVE anything with peaches in it - I am taking notes on this one....thanks for sharing! thumbs_up.gif

Just send me your samples instead of wasting them on your DH. icon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #10 of 14

Remember, not everyone's taste buds are the same. Add to that he not being a drinker and the flavor of the alcohol probably just overwhelmed the little electrical signals from his tongue to his brain. I know my mother hates the taste of alcohol and anything that has it in it, that's all she can taste. Sorry he didn't give you the response you wanted. I think it sounds like a fantastic cake!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:14am
post #11 of 14

I can give you my address real quick if your willing to mail this horribly offensive cake. Yes, that's it. Mail it to me.
I don't drink either, I'll be the perfect taste tester. Never mind the fact I cook with it all the time. Just mail it. PLEASE. icon_razz.gif

karateka Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:42pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I can give you my address real quick if your willing to mail this horribly offensive cake. Yes, that's it. Mail it to me.
I don't drink either, I'll be the perfect taste tester. Never mind the fact I cook with it all the time. Just mail it. PLEASE. icon_razz.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

As it turns out, the groom didn't like it. icon_sad.gif Said it was "too heavy" .

Oh, well...not my week.

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 14

Q-Tip!
Quit taking it personally. This is a phrase I learned from a former job I used to have. It really helped me in life. If you know you did your best, and that you spent hours & days making a lovely cake, then that's it. Pick yourself up, pat yourself on the back and keep your momentum. Buck up little cake soldier, keep breathing, keep baking and keep smiling! Love, Neecerator icon_wink.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 7:07pm
post #14 of 14

Please don't feel badly..you can't account for everyone's taste buds.
My DH was in the doghouse this weekend too. While taking a wedding cake to the venue I see the heat is doing it's magic to the buttercream and it's sliding down the size in a quarter size ring and he says "RELAX, it'll be FINE"...I swear I wanted to KILL him. He got a pass tho when the couple loved the cake anyways!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%