High Ratio Shortening - Less Greasy?

Decorating By klj0207 Updated 5 Jun 2010 , 1:57pm by cheatize

klj0207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klj0207 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 5

I bought some high ratio shortening because I kept reading that it was supposed to be less greasy, and I was having a problem with air bubbles and not being able to get my icing smooth. I just made sugarshacks recipe, and although I think it's good, it's still greasy to me. Sweetex is not sold near me, the only brand is Country Kitchens. Maybe it is supposed to still be greasy because it's shortening, but it feels like crisco to me. Another question I have is does it need to be frozen can it sit on the counter? We are leaving for vacation next week, and I just made it. We're going to be gone for 12 days, and I need it for a cake I'm making when we get back (for june 26). I mean I know it can be frozen, but if it will be fine in a rubbermaid container, I'd rather just leave it out.

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 3:51am
post #2 of 5

I think that hi-ratio shortening (have only used Sweetex to date) doesn't have the "greasy" mouth feel that some associate with a shortening based recipe.

However, not all shortening based recipes are created equal. But if you used SugarShack's recipe (which is one of the most popular on CC) and still find the icing greasy, you probably won't like any hi-ratio recipe. (It might just be that you don't like shortening based icings.)

Might want to consider trying one of the meringue buttercreams (SMBC, IMBC, etc.). If there are complaints about this type of icing - it's that it tastes like sweetened butter... But I don't recall anyone every saying that the icing was greasy.

HTH

P.S. I would freeze the icing.

tomswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomswife Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:21am
post #3 of 5

Hi there! I have an EXCELLENT real buttercream recipe that I would be willing to share with you. It is quick and easy to make and the flavor is so inviting that people rave over it. I really would recommend steering away from shortening icings. There is such a tremendous flavor difference. And - FYI, I have conquered the bubbling issue with my recipe and making sure I ice my cakes and leave them sitting out for atleast 3 hours on the counter - not refrigerated - before I cover with fondant.

Let me know if I can help. And also - when you refrigerate this icing or freeze it, it is just amazing even after a week or more. : ) Let me know if you are interested.

Julie

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 4:35am
post #4 of 5

I use Alpine and it is definitely less greasy than Crisco and much creamier when mixed w/ powd sugar. I don't get the grainy texture either. Love hi-ratio.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 5

I used the hi ratio for the first time this week. To me, it still has a slick mouth feel to it, but it's not a greasy feeling like when I use regular shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%