For Those Who Have A Separate "cake Only" Kitchen

Business By TaterCakes Updated 5 Jun 2010 , 1:42am by multilayered

TaterCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaterCakes Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 3

just have a quick question for those who have a separate kitchen in their house that they use just for their business, what exactly did you have to have in your kitchen to get it liscenced. I've been playing phone tag w/ our health dept to find out more info but any advice from here would be appreciated. oh and i live in NY if that helps thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

2 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:08am
post #2 of 3

What county in NY, it varies by county.

I live in NY, and yes I got the run around too.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 1:42am
post #3 of 3

I've spoken with DoH and DoAgr and the answer I got was you can not make and sell custom cakes from your home unless the kitchen you are using is not attached to the rest of your home, and it needs to be certified by the health dept. I was told making, wedding cakes, specialty cakes etc was not allowed out of the home and is considered a "retail bakery" the only baking they certified from a home kitchen in Long Island at least is wholesale baking, like making pies and selling them to restaurants. Otherwise they make it nearly impossible for someone to have a home based businessicon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%