Cake Sizing

Decorating By Dementialies Updated 4 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm by Dementialies

Dementialies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dementialies Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 10:28am
post #1 of 8

Hiya,

I'm new here (wee) and just starting my own home cake making business. I've received an order for a communion cake to serve 100 people. The largest pan I have is 11x15 coincidentally this is also the largest size my oven can handle.
My questions are the following:

If I stack two 11x15x2 cakes with a buttercream filling will this be enough to feed 100?

Or should I place them size by side?

If I place them size by side is buttercream enough to fix them together?

(side note: I intend to put buttercream and then fondant on top)

Thanks for all your help! I'm making this tonight so any super quick answers would be fabulous!

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 8

If you put them side by side or stack them on top of each other, you get the same number of servings.

11x15, single layer, when cut in industry standard 2x2x2" pieces (8 cubic inches) will yield 35 servings (cake will be cut in 5 rows by 7 columns). Two of these side by side will yield 70 servings.

11x15, double layer, when cut in industry standard 1x2x4" pieces (8 cubic inches) will yield 70 servings (cake will be cut in 10 rows by 7 columns).

Note: The number of rows/columns are based on rounding down to a 10x14. This allows for even division and allows for any cake shrinkage.

For 100 people, you would need at least three of the 11x15's.

Dementialies Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you soooo much for you help.

I guess since I will need three in this case it would be better to stack them. Though this will be a very tall cake at least it will feed enough people!

indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementialies

Thank you soooo much for you help.

I guess since I will need three in this case it would be better to stack them. Though this will be a very tall cake at least it will feed enough people!

Only if you're going to stack 2 of them, lay put a single layer cake on a cardboard on top of that. You'd cut the single layer in 2x2x2's, then remove the cardboard from the top of the remaining cake and cut the remaining cake into 1x2x4".

Otherwise, you're serving 1x2x6" pieces of cake. Same number of pieces (70), since you have the same surface area. The pieces are just 50% taller. You can't really cut them 50% thinner to get more pieces of cake .... that really WOULD be "paper thin"! icon_biggrin.gif

What about doing a 2-layer cake as the main cake, and have a single layer set aside as the "just in case I need it" cake?

Dementialies Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 8

This is where my math ineptitude is showing I suppose. I thought about doing a main cake and then "side" cake but as it's for a communion at a church and the client was very specific about the design and all I didn't want to make two separate cakes.

Is it a viable option to stack two cakes and then half a third cake (down the middle) and stick it to the side? Or is that just foolish?

indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 8

Sounds like a good idea! That will make a big and impressive cake!

Tor1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tor1985 Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 8

I like the idea of cutting the cake and stick it to the side too.

Or you could do a a smaller version of the cake cutting the 11x15 in half and stacking, but then you're into more work decorating.

Dementialies Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks again for all your help. I'd better get started on my frankenstein cake then! Keep your fingers crossed for me. I'll post pictures if it's not too much of a mess icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%