What's Up With Viva!!

Decorating By Yum2010 Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 12:32am by 4realLaLa

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:41am
post #1 of 21

Hi fellow cakers!! Is it just me or did Viva paper towels get "bumpier" than they used to be. I have always used the "viva method" to smooth my buttercream and I am just not getting the results I used to. I thought it was just me but I look back on photos of previous cakes and I swear, they looked way smoother. Anyone else experiencing this??

20 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:43am
post #2 of 21

I bought a large package last week and mine are just as smooth as always. I haven't heard of any changes. You can always use typing paper instead. thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #3 of 21

I thought so, too; but they smoothed just the same for me so I thought my memory was faulty.

luv2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake4u Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #4 of 21

Hi,,I also thought the viva paper got a little heavier with more tecture in it,,,It still works but I can tell the difference...not as smooth as before but still good.....

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 21

it seems different to me too but I also think the humidity seems to be causing some of my smoothing problems!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 21

You have to pay attention when you pick up the Viva paper towels because some of them do have designs on them. I picked up a large pack at Target because they were on sale and they are very smooth.

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:58pm
post #7 of 21

I never really paid attention because I always use the viva towels first, and the I use parchment paper after that. Always.

pinkpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpeach Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 21

Has anyone tried this (with Viva or parchment or whatever) with the buttercream sold at Sam's club? I just couldn't get it smoother than it was before it crusted. Is it possible I didn't let it crust enough? Finally I put it in the fridge overnight and the next day was no easier. I wonder if I should add meringue powder to it.

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpeach

Has anyone tried this (with Viva or parchment or whatever) with the buttercream sold at Sam's club? I just couldn't get it smoother than it was before it crusted. Is it possible I didn't let it crust enough? Finally I put it in the fridge overnight and the next day was no easier. I wonder if I should add meringue powder to it.

Personally I HATE using meringue powder. Why are you putting your cake in the fridge? Are you using perishable fillings? I NEVER refrigerate my cakes because I have issuse with crusting buttercream if I do. It doesn't seem to want to crust after it's been in the refrigerator. What do you mean "crust enough". It crust or it doesn't. I've never used Sam's bc I make my own. I crumbcoat and smooth then put on the final coat, smooth wait about 10 minutes for my icing to crust and smooth with Viva.

Are you icing a cold or frozen cake? Some people do but I can't get my buttercream to cooperate if I do. I prefer icing a cake that is room tempature. I get the best results doing it that way.

pinkpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpeach Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 21

Thanks mamawrobin. It was my first time using SC's buttercream and it was on a frozen cake. It was for an event the next day and I knew I wouldn't have time to ice it so I did it the night before and it didn't smooth well. The next day after refrigerating it tried smoothing it again, but maybe the frozen cake + the fridge made the buttercream "wet." I'll try things differently next time.

mamawrobin Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:02am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpeach

Thanks mamawrobin. It was my first time using SC's buttercream and it was on a frozen cake. It was for an event the next day and I knew I wouldn't have time to ice it so I did it the night before and it didn't smooth well. The next day after refrigerating it tried smoothing it again, but maybe the frozen cake + the fridge made the buttercream "wet." I'll try things differently next time.

Just wanted to say that the only time I've had issues with my icing is when I put my cake in the fridge. I WON'T do that again. thumbs_up.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:17am
post #12 of 21

I agree with mamarobin.............The only time I have issues with viva is if I take a cake out of the freezer and it's still kinda cold or I add a little too much liquid to the BC, viva doesn't like dampness I found out. At least not for me.

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:18am
post #13 of 21

I've noticed lately that it makes a difference which side of the viva paper towel you use when you lay it on your cake. One side smooths it out just fine, but the other side is not as smooth. I had never noticed this in the past, so I think there might be something different about them.

chachagyrl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chachagyrl22 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:26am
post #14 of 21

I have noticed a difference also. The Viva paper towel use to be softer like Kleenex and thicker. I have thought about switching to Sparkle because of it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:45am
post #15 of 21

I don't use Viva but I do refrigerate cakes...the few times I do need to smooth a crusting icing with paper towel or something (usually some sort of design) I find I just leave the cake out at room temp long enough for it to dry out the bit of condensation and then crust...and then I use paper towel. (Had to do that tonight with a dino cake...long explanation so I'll spare you)...but yeah I just left it out like 45 mins or so and then went back with a paper towel and it had crusted just fine...but it was a cold crumb coated cake before I started working on it.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:48am
post #16 of 21

Perhaps we should email the company and let them know they are risking losing part of their market segment by changing their product?

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 7:56am
post #17 of 21

Hmmmmmm, that's not a bad idea.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:23pm
post #18 of 21

I've noticed it too. I thought to myself..."maybe it's economy", lol.

4realLaLa Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:25pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Perhaps we should email the company and let them know they are risking losing part of their market segment by changing their product?

Good point. If they knew I'm sure that would make a difference. That only makes sense.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:44pm
post #20 of 21

You have to be "picky" when picking your viva!! Some of the rolls are not as tightly wound and they are a bit baggy and not as smooth. I bought a pkg of two at walmart the other day and they are soooo smooth I have been hiding them at the shop!!

4realLaLa Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 12:32am
post #21 of 21

That's a good tip jksheik! I will pay more attention to that in the future. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%