Wilton Has Come Up With A New Buttercream Rose?

Decorating By kcw551 Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 1:58pm by raydon

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 12:46pm
post #31 of 46

I agree the original wilton rose is a classic and very pretty, in fact that was the one thing I really wanted to learn to make in class a few years ago, but I couldn't get it and it would have been nice to have learned the 'dumb down' method first and then on to the rose. Not everyone is going to like new rose, but then I''m not much of a traditional girl so I think it's fun to change it up a bit with different styles. Thanks for all your input on the subject TexasSugar, very helpful stuff.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 2:00pm
post #32 of 46

Kcw, I'm curious to see it in class, but I do think that the ribbon rose will help people that struggle with the roses. You get to practice turning the flower nail and the clock postions. I think this will help those that want to 'draw' or pipe on the petal moving the bag rather than turning the nail.

And it will be nice that everyone can leave the class, happy they did ribbons roses and not sad or frustrated with their roses.

I don't love the look of this rose more than a regular rose, but then again I don't love the look of the fondant ribbon rose over a gumpaste roses. Doesn't mean there isn't applications for each. icon_smile.gif

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 6:41am
post #33 of 46

@au_decorator_76: where did you buy the course book, I couldnt find it online? Thanksicon_smile.gif

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:27am
post #34 of 46

Joann's sells the books in the Wilton section.

Monkess Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 7:44am
post #35 of 46

Really? I could'nt find them at Michaels or Joann's...they apparently only give it to students!

picakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
picakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:24pm
post #36 of 46

Around here they sell the books separately from the courses in AC Moore. I don't know if you have any of those where you are, but that's where I've found them.

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkess

@au_decorator_76: where did you buy the course book, I couldnt find it online? Thanksicon_smile.gif

Try looking on Ebay. I had just taken the old courses and found the new editions on Ebay.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 2:55pm
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkess

Really? I could'nt find them at Michaels or Joann's...they apparently only give it to students!

Michaels does not sell them. I do know that Hobby Lobby does. I'm not sure about Joann's because I don't have one here.

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #39 of 46

I am excited to try it! I know that the Joann's here does sell books separately of the kits.

Monkess Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 3:02am
post #40 of 46

I found some on ebay!! Thanks Polarcakesicon_smile.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 7:47am
post #41 of 46

???? Am I missing something??? I don't think it looks like a rose at all, ribbon or any other variation. It looks like a spiral ridge to me.... a vortex,...a hurricane... a hypnotizing buttercream spiral is all I see. If someone ordered buttercream roses I would never present this.

I frankly found that the real bc rose was really no prob when I took the first class. The most important thing is consitancy of the bc, the second is the angle of the bag/tip.

So, come on... you really think it looks like a rose???

Sandy C

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:39pm
post #42 of 46

Yes, Sandy C. I do think it looks like a rose, a very modern, funky kind of rose, that was why I was asking about it. I wasn't asking opinions about what people think about it, although I'm not surprised to be reading so many comments on that. And that's okay. If you don't want to use it or try it, that's okay too. Doesn't matter one way or the other to me...I was asking how it was done.

For those of us who like to work outside the box, I found that Hobby Lobby does have the books for the courses sold separately. I was checking them out yesterday. After looking at how its done I think I can do it, plus the shaggy mum without the books. I will be trying them today for a cake I'm doing for work.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 4:37pm
post #43 of 46

I think the spiral rose looks pretty. If you look up roses, you'll find all sort or different shapes & styles so not all roses look like the Wilton rose anyway.
A friend of mine has been making the spiral roses for some time. She blends them in with her other flowers and it looks very pretty. You can see a couple examples of her roses on the links.

http://bettycakes.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/100_0803-small.jpg

http://bettycakes.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/000_18722.jpg

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm
post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

???? Am I missing something??? I don't think it looks like a rose at all, ribbon or any other variation. It looks like a spiral ridge to me.... a vortex,...a hurricane... a hypnotizing buttercream spiral is all I see. If someone ordered buttercream roses I would never present this.

I frankly found that the real bc rose was really no prob when I took the first class. The most important thing is consitancy of the bc, the second is the angle of the bag/tip.

So, come on... you really think it looks like a rose???

Sandy C

No, I don't think it looks like a traditional rose. I think it looks like it is meant to look...a fun, whimsical, impressionistic version of a rose. I like both and think both have a place in decorating...right along with gumpaste roses, fondant ribbon roses, etc.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 11:08am
post #45 of 46

I'm sorry, I was trying to be insulting. icon_lol.gif I was just saying what it looks like to me. Or rather, what it doesn't look like. I did see the posts that said that pic is not the one the post was trying to describe. I know the difference between realistic and artistic impression, like the fondant ribbon rose. I just don't think that spiral comes close to being a ribbon rose. But hey, that's why we have choloate and vanilla.... and jamocha almond fudge. thumbs_up.gif

Joy, I took a look at those cakes and to me, what your GF has on there as a spiral type of rose is very pretty, and much closer to a rose than the spiral in the pic in the earlier post. The spiral pic just has this uniform, vertical spiral. Your GF's flare out a bit as the spiral widens. Which are much different and better, IMHO.

Sandy

raydon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raydon Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 1:58pm
post #46 of 46

I'm taking the class and learning the new Wilton Rose tonight. You can buy the bookk for the course at Joann's Fabrics. It's only 3 or 4 dollars and it shows you how to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%