Jello Mmf Was A Huge Success!!

Decorating By tesso Updated 13 Nov 2010 , 3:45am by tesso

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 60

The jello MMF is now a staple. I wont make fondant any other way. It stayed soft and pliable for working with. Once on the cake it firmed up beautifully, no cracks, no bulges, no droops. And the taste was out of this world, how do I know this.. they ate ALL the fondant off the cake !! They were stealing it from each other! (i know crazy family)

The best compliment was from my great nephew, throughout the day he ate FOUR pieces of cake. He DOES NOT like cake. His momma kept repeating.. "No way is he eating that! He never eats cake." icon_biggrin.gif That made my day, and the fact that my niece loved her birthday cake and got all teary eyed. Then promptly told me "you're putting this type of fondant on my wedding cake. right?".

Thanks to all those who answered my cry for help in my jello-mmf post.

here's her cake, if you want to see it. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1691847

59 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 May 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 60

tesso...first of all your cake is so pretty. icon_biggrin.gif I want to thank you for posting about the jello fondant. I had printed the recipe awhile back and was going to make it when a thread popped up that said it was awful. I do believe that everyone that posted had something negative to say about it. I wanted to try it because of the jello flavoring the fondant.

Anyway, thanks to you I WILL be trying it next week. I'm hoping to use it on my sil's birthday cake if it turns out as good as yours.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 60

WONDERFUL!! I was waiting to findout if it worked!! thankyou sooo much for sharing this!! I cant wait to try it! icon_smile.gif

tesso Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 60

I didnt know there was a recipe!! I was just desperate to get my flavoring and thought i would give it a try. I made MMF and just added half the jello pack to the melted marshmallow mixture. You will love the flavor. My other niece wants the tropical fruit fusion flavor for her cake. which is great because the first thing i thought of was tropical fruit for her cake.

YOu have got to make some and let me know what you think of the flavors !!

mamawrobin Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 60

I printed the recipe off of cc. I think it's Sophie's Jello Fondant if I'm not mistaken. I could get up and look in my recipe book but I'm lazy this morning. I stepped on a nail last night and my foot hurts this morning. icon_sad.gif

azenner210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azenner210 Posted 30 May 2010 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 60

i tried looking up the recipe but had no luck. would anybody happen to have the recipe?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 30 May 2010 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 60

I'm guessing it was SophieBelles Jello Fondant - http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3413/sophiebelles-jello-fondant

mamawrobin Posted 30 May 2010 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I'm guessing it was SophieBelles Jello Fondant - http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3413/sophiebelles-jello-fondant

That's it. I'm sorry I left the "Belle" off her name.

tesso Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 60

This is the MMF recipe I use, and I just added the jello.

Jello-MMF recipe

1 bag of mini marshmallows 10.5 oz.
3 tbs of water
3 cups of pwd sugar
1/2 pack of jello (any flavor)

1-2 cups of pwd sugar for kneading purposes.

I added the jello to the hot marshmallow mixture. I did not dissolve it first. I then put the mixture into my KA added powder sugar, mixed, then dumped on to counter and started kneading and adding PS until it reached the right consistancy. It only took a few minutes. I let the fondant rest over night, tighly wrapped in saran, popped it into micorwave to warm up and covered cake. There was NO graininess to the fondant.

icon_biggrin.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 60

Sounds great!

So Tesso, you did not need to add water to the jello at all, right?

Just poured the dry jello powder directly into the melted marshmallows?

Thanks!
KimAZ

7yyrt Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 60

Heavens, that sounds like an easy recipe!

mamawrobin Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:27pm
post #12 of 60

Thanks for posting your recipe. I'm using it this week thumbs_up.gif

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:53pm
post #13 of 60

Wow, I'll have to try this soon. I'm glad father's day is coming up icon_lol.gif

Thank you for posting you the recipe.

tesso Posted 30 May 2010 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

Sounds great!

So Tesso, you did not need to add water to the jello at all, right?

Just poured the dry jello powder directly into the melted marshmallows?

Thanks!
KimAZ

NO WATER!! icon_lol.gif Add dry jello powder to the melted marshmallows and stir it.

Also remember that the coloring in the jello will color you marshmallows !!! I did not add any coloring to get that pink, it was colored only by the jello.

I cant wait for you guys to try this! I'll try submitting the recipe to the fondant recipes later today.

7yyrt Posted 30 May 2010 , 7:03pm
post #15 of 60

mamawrobin, just realized you said you stepped on a nail...
Is it a puncture, or did you step on one sideways? How long since your last tetanus shot?

tesso Posted 30 May 2010 , 7:06pm
post #16 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

mamawrobin, just realized you said you stepped on a nail...
Is it a puncture, or did you step on one sideways? How long since your last tetanus shot?

I just sent her a PM that said almost the exact same thing! I hope she's doing okay.

mamao7k Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamao7k Posted 30 May 2010 , 7:28pm
post #17 of 60

This sounds SOOOOO yummy. Can't wait to try it. Actually wish i would have had this a week ago. Just had my DD birthday and she HATES regular MMF. Maybe would have liked this. Don't HAVE to make a cake now til the end of June ( Just doin it for friends/family yet ) but may have to come up with an excuse before then to try this.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 30 May 2010 , 8:55pm
post #18 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

tesso...first of all your cake is so pretty. icon_biggrin.gif I want to thank you for posting about the jello fondant. I had printed the recipe awhile back and was going to make it when a thread popped up that said it was awful. I do believe that everyone that posted had something negative to say about it. I wanted to try it because of the jello flavoring the fondant.

I just checked SophieBelle's Jello fondant recipe. Is this the one that got bed reviews in a thread?
Tesso, that recipe is not made with marshmallows, so maybe you just invented something new!!! How strong color does the fondant get from the jello (since it's just 1/2 a pack.)?

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 30 May 2010 , 9:09pm
post #19 of 60

Awsome! Thanks for sharing!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 30 May 2010 , 9:32pm
post #20 of 60

Oh oh oh!! I use MMF all the time, I want to try this sooooo bad now!!

If you wanted white, do you think you could use just Knox gelatin to help firm it up?

I really want to try the flavored MMF. Having it add to the color is a bonus.

So dumb question, if you were doing a strawberry cake, but wanted it blue... how could you get around the color thing? Again, using Knox you think? Hmmm... time to experiment!

Excellent post

And..... very very very beautiful cake!! You did a great job! icon_smile.gif

tesso Posted 30 May 2010 , 10:43pm
post #21 of 60

thanks for the great comments. I plan on using jello in every batch of MMF that I make now since it makes it so pliable and didnt get those what I call stretchmarks, or cracks in it.

I make my own piping gel, so I am going to use the jello that i use for it. It is sugar free jello (even thou it is not Jello brand)

That jello is how I plan on getting around the color issue. Unfortunately I am out of this jello right now. icon_sad.gif or I would be making some to day.

Here is a link to the unflavored jello http://www.aviglatt.com/Product_3892.html

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:09pm
post #22 of 60

Before I found Michelle Foster's Fondant, I was forever experimenting with different fondant recipes. Some time ago I needed a bright red for a Lil Einstein cake so tried adding cherry flavored sugar-free Koolade to a generic fondant recipe. I cannot even remember the basic recipe. It gave me the color I wanted and tasted pretty good, but still "fondanty". Unlike most on CC, I haven't been too impressed with MMF. Before I abandon MFF--(heavenly when made with Nestle's white morsels thrown in)-- I will have to give this a try. With Father's Day coming up and two birthdays, I will have the perfect opportunity. Thanks.

tesso Posted 30 May 2010 , 11:44pm
post #23 of 60

I submitted the Jello MMF to the recipes. have lots of fun !! icon_biggrin.gif

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:13pm
post #24 of 60

Tesso,

Thanks so much, I have a few questions for you, How long do I put it in the microwave? Do I have to keep it refrigerated?

thanks, I can't wait to try it !

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 12:51pm
post #25 of 60

Tesso I tried looking for the recipe and couldn't find it .. icon_sad.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:12pm
post #26 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLyrics

Tesso I tried looking for the recipe and couldn't find it .. icon_sad.gif

Me neither icon_sad.gif - this search engine drives me crazy! (I know, short trip...) This sounds like such a great idea! I hope when you submitted the recipe you give yourself credit... "Tesso's Amazing Jello MMF" or something like that. I'm gonna try adding jello to my next batch of my fav. fondant recipe just to find out what happens...

7yyrt Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:12pm
post #27 of 60

It takes a bit before they show up in the recipe section.
You can find it on the first page of this thread though, about half way down.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:42pm
post #28 of 60

tesso, just wondering, does the jello leave color specks in the fondant? Your cake is beautiful and looks like there are some pink specks of color in the fondant in your close up photo. Might just be the photo. I'm anxious to try this but just wondering before I do. Thanks for posting this for us!

tesso Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 1:52pm
post #29 of 60

I am so sorry. I forgot to hit the watch this topic button. The Jello MMF recipe is under the uncategorized recipes. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/category/uncategorized

I did not refrigerate the fondant. used it just like regular MMF. I did not notice any specks when I was working with it. That was one of the concerns I had, and why I decided to use half the package to start with.

has anyone tried this yet? I really hope yours was as successful as mine was.

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:54pm
post #30 of 60

Dear Tesso, Thank you very much for sharing your recipe. I want to try it
did you make your own piping gel ??? could you please share your recipe too ?

thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%