Help! This Ganache Is Not The Consistency Of Peanut Butter!

Baking By confectionsofahousewife Updated 21 Feb 2013 , 3:50pm by SetFree

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 20

Some of you may have read my post the other day about making ganach that was really runny. After receiving advice about making it properly, I have tried it again. I used 12 oz of chocolate and 1 cup of heavy cream. I let it sit overnight and then whipped it. It is much thicker than my first attempt but still seems too thin to fill and ice a cake! Did I not whip it enough? Does it still not have enough chocolate in it? Please help! I really need to get this cake filled and iced today!

19 replies
PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 20

Pop it in the fridge for a little bit, maybe 15 minutes, and see if that improves the texture. I usually use 12oz chocolate:8oz cream and have no trouble using that, whipped, to fill a cake.

Be careful not to overwhip or it could break. I know mine is right when it has the consistency of a nice, thick chocolate mousse.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 20

Did you use a mixer to whip it? It takes a while but it will get very thick and spreadable. Did you put in the refrigerator overnight? It should be colder than room temp to whip.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 20

I've popped it in the fridge now. How long should I whip it for? Also, should I use the paddle or the whisk attachment?

carmijok Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

I've popped it in the fridge now. How long should I whip it for? Also, should I use the paddle or the whisk attachment?

You're whipping cream...use the wisk attachment and your mixer on high. And in the immortal words of Devo you must 'whip it...whip it good'. Sorry...I digress.
I don't have a set amount of time....I just watch it until it starts to thicken. You don't want it too thick so just keep testing until it's the consistency you want. Good luck!

PiccoloChellie Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:

Whisk attachment. Though, one day I was feeling lazy and didn't feel like dirtying my mixer bowl so I used a cheapy $15 hand mixer and got the best results I'd ever had....so I use a hand mixer for it now. icon_smile.gif
Depends on the humidity and the alignment of the stars as to how long. Maybe 5 minutes? Just keep an eye on it - once it goes to peanut butter/thick mousse, you're there!

confectionsofahousewife Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 20

OK I'm whipping it now! It is definitely thicker now that I put it in the fridge. Does it need to stay in the fridge after its on the cake so that it holds its shape? Its got to hold in a layer of caramel filling!

PiccoloChellie Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:

OK I'm whipping it now! It is definitely thicker now that I put it in the fridge. Does it need to stay in the fridge after its on the cake so that it holds its shape? Its got to hold in a layer of caramel filling!

If it's hot & humid where you are, it may not be a bad idea to keep it in the fridge if possible, just to be safe. Remember it's chocolate and chocolate gets melty! If room temp is around 72, it should be fine but if it's in the 80s...fridge it so you don't risk your hard work. icon_smile.gif

*cheering you on*!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 20

How are you measuring your chocolate?
Edna icon_smile.gif

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:46pm
post #10 of 20

Have to use ganache filling soon for a cake, so I'm very interested to hear how this comes out. Best of luck! icon_biggrin.gif

confectionsofahousewife Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 20

Ok, it whipped up pretty well. Seems like a decent consistency for filling and icing but is still a little thinner than my buttercream would be. Now I have two more problems!
-There is no way there is enough left to ice the cake (maybe a super thin layer). So can I make more and have it ready today??
-After whipping the ganache, it seems like I won't be able to ice the cake smooth. It has air bubbles and stuff in it. Is that right?

Edna, I measured 12 ounces of chocolate by weight.

PiccoloChellie Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:04pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:

Ok, it whipped up pretty well. Seems like a decent consistency for filling and icing but is still a little thinner than my buttercream would be. Now I have two more problems!
-There is no way there is enough left to ice the cake (maybe a super thin layer). So can I make more and have it ready today??
-After whipping the ganache, it seems like I won't be able to ice the cake smooth. It has air bubbles and stuff in it. Is that right?

Is it spreadable? Does it hold its shape when you spread it on the cake or does it start to run off?

I've made & whipped ganache in one day. I know usually you're supposed to let it set overnight, but if you put it in the fridge immediately after it's made and let it set up solid....well, it's worked for me. That's all I can say. icon_redface.gif

Yeah, it gets kinda bubbly. Once the cake is iced, smooth it as best as you can and let it set up solid in the fridge. Then I use the hot spatula method to finish it off.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:22pm
post #13 of 20

It definitely holds its shape its just not quite as thick as buttercream would be. How long do you let it set up in the fridge before you whip it? Also, can you use viva to smooth ganache or will it stick?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:37pm
post #14 of 20

OK, once again - if you want to fill the cake and whip ganache to a moussey consistency, you need a 1:1 ratio of chocolate & crean if using dark chocolate. If using milk or white, you need a 2:1 ratio. So 1 cup of cream plus 9oz dark chocolate or 18oz milk or white. I know there are people on thisd forum that poopoo the idea, but yes, the quality of the chocolate matters, get the very best you can afford.
Now, for spreading on a cake as a covering you need to double the amount of chocolate I have given you above for each cup of cream or it will never be peanut butter consistency.

PiccoloChellie Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:41pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:

It definitely holds its shape its just not quite as thick as buttercream would be. How long do you let it set up in the fridge before you whip it? Also, can you use viva to smooth ganache or will it stick?

Well, I let it set in the fridge 'til it's solid. Then I take it out and leave it at room temp until it softens a little and is whippable.
Maybe a couple hours to set up and 20-30 minutes to soften? Shouldn't take much longer than that in either case, if even that long.

I've never used the Viva method on ganache so I can't give you a definite answer on that one. icon_sad.gif The hot spatula method has worked well enough for me and I tend to think that using carefully controlled heat to smooth chocolate gives better results. That's just my personal feeling, though, so if someone else knows differently please chime in!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:02pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:

Just checking, somtimes people dont weight things.
Edna

confectionsofahousewife Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:43pm
post #17 of 20

Well I got it applied to the cake. It doesn't have to look good since its just for a family weekend at the lake. I obviously need some ganache practice! I did not find it real easy to work with.

Meagan84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagan84 Posted 27 May 2010 , 11:12pm
post #18 of 20

I had a hard time too my first time, this really helped: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34971289@N06/sets/72157622644499988/
Hope it helps you too. Rylan posted it in a past forum.

carmijok Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:46pm
post #19 of 20

If you are worried about how the whipped ganache looks iced all over your cake, (air bubbles and such)...I have an idea. Why not make more ganache and just use this to pour over the top of your cake so it looks smooth & shiny on top and drippy on the sides. Double the chocolate...how good would that be?

SetFree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SetFree Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 3:50pm
post #20 of 20

Hi,

I would like to suggest to you to take a look at 

You will see the consistency of the ganache and how it is made with both white chocolate and chocolate.  There is no whipping done by machine since this would incorporate bubbles. The ganache is smooth and thick.  In this video it is used to cover cakes in preparation for fondant since they do not use buttercream in Australia.  

I have used a ratio of 1:2 (meaning 1 cup cream and 2 cups of chocolate) for chocolate and 1:3 for white chocolate and have great results. I used both low quality white, good quality semi-sweet and very good quality bittersweet chocolate with great results (although the taste is much better with good quality chocolate).  

Hope this helps :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%