The Shrinking Cupcakes

Baking By cricket0616 Updated 27 May 2010 , 8:07pm by LindaF144a

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 4

I have always used Sylvia Weinstock yellow cake recipe, but recently read that she add 1 cup of milk to her original recipe, so today I did the same to my batter. Baked the cupcakes and they looked great in the oven, but when they were ready to remove from the oven I noticed that were not a full as they previously were. As they started to cool the got smaller, some even sunk in the middle slightly. I read some post here before I baked the second batch and increase my oven temp slightly. Second batch look great until I took them out of the oven. They too shrunk.

The cupcakes taste great, very moist. They are not undercooked. The only thing I can think is that the additional cup of milk is too much. Any suggestions?

Question: I was supposed to make a cupcake cake (pull apart cake) with them. Would you use them or bake another batch?

3 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 4

I would taste one to make sure they meet your approval. If OK, then they should be fine for a cupcake cake. They will just need extra icing to fill-in the sinkholes if you want a smooth top. Good luck.

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 4

They taste great. Very moist, but I have to laugh. My cupcakes have never looked like this before. Can't wait for my kids to see them. They have become cake snobs. Sometimes my worst critics.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 4

I had cupcakes do that too last week. It was not the same recipe as yours. I used the cupcake recipe from Rose's heavenly cakes and add more liquid. The first batch was so dry. They reacted the same way yours did. While they didn't look appealing they were the best cupcakes I have made. So moist and delicious.

I just put frosting on them and sent to work with my daughter. No one made any comment on how the tops looked. Once covered with frosting who could tell? Not one person made any comment about lack of dome, or concave top either. I'm thinking I might try this mistake on every cupcake I make. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%