How Far In Advance Do You Cover Your Cake With Fondant?

Decorating By yoktom Updated 27 May 2010 , 12:59am by LuvLyrics

yoktom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yoktom Posted 25 May 2010 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 15

I'm working on a Debbie Brown design - it's my daughter's 8th birthday (which is a REALLY big deal in our world...LOL ) and I have a lot to do to prepare for Saturday. I've got all the cakes baked and filled (just buttercream icing) - and I've been making a lot of the molded pieces...I'd like to be able to cover the cake with Fondant and begin the labor intensive work of painting and placing all the molded pieces - but I'm nervous about covering with fondant this soon. (It's Tuesday, party is Saturday Morning around 11.)

So my question is ... what is the earliest you've ever covered a cake with Fondant and then left out at room temp. I'm in Arizona - and I know freezing is absolutely NOT an option (what with all the sweat and ick that will ruin the work we are doing) - and I'm heavily immersed in cake and party land so my head just can't think!!!

Any suggestions? What's the soonest you've covered a cake in fondant before serving? I've heard up to a week at room temp, but that seems odd to me...

14 replies
Acjohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acjohnson Posted 25 May 2010 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 15

I'm no expert but I won't cover a cake more than 3 days in advance.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 25 May 2010 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 15

I cover mine the day before delivery.

yoktom Posted 25 May 2010 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

I cover mine the day before delivery.

I usually do too - I was just trying to find more time in my day before icon_smile.gif I've finished her dress (because I'm a NUT and decided to sew that too...) have the menu planned for the lunch, have various parts of the meal farmed out... but the cake - I can't get any help with (on account of me being a total and complete control freak.)

I'm thinking I can cover on Thursday. I should be okay if I do it Thursday night - party is Saturday morning. That should give me time to do all the painting, placing, etc - and still keep the cake fresh.

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:47am
post #5 of 15

I had two large (11x15 each) cakes that i had to travel with. I covered them Thurs and we ate them Sat. I used simple syrup on the cake before frosting them, and it was perfectly moist and delicious when we ate them. That's about as far in advance as I will do it though. Your cake may not be as fresh. IMO.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:57am
post #6 of 15

I tested what I read once about fondant cakes being fresh for up to five days. I tested it with a cake class cake that I made on a Wednesday night and ate on Sunday afternoon. It was moist and perfectly fine. I would NEVER do that for someone buying a cake. For them I usually bake Wednesday and cover Thurs to allow Thurs and Fri for decorating a cake due Saturday. Bump it all up one day for a cake due Sunday. I just tested it that one time because I was curious and it was a throw away cake anyway.

I think your Saturday cake will be just fine if you start it today. This is assuming you bake a moist cake to start with, of course... : )

hth

yoktom Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:40am
post #7 of 15

Thank you everyone! I decided to start it tonight - turns out tomorrow we have a field trip, Thursday we have a parent night and Friday is the night before and I'm not going to stress myself out!

I do make a moist cake, so, I think we should be okay...Thanks! I might post pictures - depending on if it turns out or not! (tee hee...)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:26am
post #8 of 15

If you're worried that your daughter's BD cake will be stale before you eat it, it won't... not as long as the cake is covered with buttercream/fondant--the air can't get to the cake to dry it out. It will grow mold before it goes stale, and that usually takes two weeks. (Hasn't everyone seen that last piece of leftover cake that nobody wants to eat because they're sick of eating more cake?)!

yoktom Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:43am
post #9 of 15

IT was the mold I was worried about, but you are right, I think it'll be fine. I've gotten it started - looks terrible right now, but here it is, in all it's naked glory...
LL

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:56am
post #10 of 15

Wow! That was quick.... and it's not room temp, so no worries! Good job, can't wait to see it when it's finished.

yoktom Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:59am
post #11 of 15

Thanks! Fingers crossed that it'll turn out. My 8 YO is already thrilled with it, so it's all up from here, right?

yoktom Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:22am
post #12 of 15

Ok, everyone thanks for your help. It's done - and currently freezing. I know, bad idea bad form...but the castle at the top already started to slip and I'm worried that the weight is too much for it. So - in the freezer it went - it was room temp and totally covered before I froze it so we should be okay.

Now, cross your fingers icon_smile.gif Pics in the gallery too BTW. Thanks again!!!!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:44am
post #13 of 15

Your cake is beautiful!! I bet your daughter loved it!!! Good job mom!

yoktom Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:46am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

Your cake is beautiful!! I bet your daughter loved it!!! Good job mom!

Thank you!!!

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:59am
post #15 of 15

Cake looks awesome !!!!!!!!! good luck Sat !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%