Summer Time Desserts?

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 26 May 2010 , 3:51pm by SS385Monte

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 8

I'm sitting here thinking abotu what dessert I want to make for our Memorial day celebration and searching websites for yummy ideas, so I was curious...

What is your favorite summer dessert treat?

7 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 8

My mom would always make a fruit pizza. She would roll out sugar cookie dough and bake it. Spread some of that cream cheese fruit dip over it and then decorate with fruit. It was mostly strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, halved grapes, whatever was in season really. It was sooooo good!!!!

I think I'm going to have to make that now.

It would be easy to make it into a flag.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:48am
post #3 of 8

I used to make this for the tea house here in town...it is gorgeous with color and it is a cold dessert, perfect for the summer time. I think it is called summer pudding.

Basically, get several bags of frozen berries, put them in a bowl with however much sugar you want. Let set for several hours or overnight so it makes nice juice. I used raspberries, blueberries, blackberries - whatever kinds you like.

Take some white bread (I used homemade, but you can use store bought) trim all the brown off of each slice, then line a bowl with saran wrap, and place the white bread like puzzle pieces, just one layer. Then pour the berries into that, then top with more of the white bread. Cover with saran wrap, and put a plate and a weight on it. Put in frig overnight. When ready to serve, remove saran wrap, and turn over onto platter - cut into wedges and serve with whipped cream. It is a gorgeous color, and delicious!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 8

Rose, I do the fruit pizza alot. That thing is so quick and easy and gets eaten really fast. Any time I have done it for a family function there was none left over. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda, that sounds like an interesting idea. I may have to try it sometime.

I think I'm going to do a Key Lime Pie for Sunday. There is a part of me that also wants to do Cheesecake since it is one of my favorite desserts, but then I know I'll eat all the left overs of it. icon_wink.gif I'm also thinking of something like lemon bars or another bar recipe that doesn't have to be kept cold so I can bring the left overs to work to get eaten.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 8

definitely something fruity for a summer dessert! I like the french fruit tart, where you have a vanilla custard and when cooled and set, you top it with berries of your choice.
But I like the key lime idea too. Any citrus fruit will be a refreshing dessert! thumbs_up.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 8

For parties, I love to make a tiered pavlova. I've done it a couple of times and it's a huge hit.

Whip up a BIG batch of meringue and spread it to the edges of circles drawn on parchment paper (I think I did 6, 8, 10"). Bake until quite firm. Fill with whipped cream and top with strawberries mixed with a little sugar. Then stack like a cake - I used those little plastic tripods meant for pizza boxes. Mmmmmmm. icon_smile.gif

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 8

Lovely little fruit and custard tarts sound divine icon_lol.gif

SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 8

Berry trifles are summery and good for using cake scraps. I have a big bowl I will put a layer of crumbled cake in, a layer of vanilla pudding, a layer of assorted berries, a layer of cool whip and repeat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%